Anybody from AOSHUK about 1979-1980?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by xseaorguk, Aug 14, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. Kutta

Kutta Silver Meritorious Patron

Does anyone know what happened to Anna Rutherford? She lived at Stonelands and had 2 daughters, one called Chandra. She came from NZ.

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Peter Morgan. Yeah, Trish was something else. :)

I tracked Laina (McNamee) down via Google a month or so ago. She's living in Israel. Still a churchie. I emailed her. At least she wrote back (once) and was civil.

Thanks very much Gail.

Paul

3. michaelangelo

michaelangelo Gold Meritorious Patron

Peter Morgan was from Belfast. Trish blew I beleive and Peter shacked up with Stephanie Hill. Don't know what the situation is now.
    I saw Elbert Madsen in Brighton about four years ago. He is or was living here with his wife (she was ex FOLO UK). But they didn't speak to me as I think they are still in the C of S.

4. Dulloldfart

Peter stayed at Saint Hill. Stephanie went off to the US in the early 80s. I saw her in RTC while I was there. If you Google her using her maiden name of Rymer, she shows up as still being at Int in recent times.

Paul

5. michaelangelo

michaelangelo Gold Meritorious Patron

Seems a bit desperate to go live in Israel with all it's problems. What does Laina do there? is she Jewish?

6. Dulloldfart

Dunno. Ask her. Her email's on Google. :)

Paul

7. Kutta

Old friend from Saint Hill days visiting

I won't post my friend's name who is visiting from the UK at present. She is well out of scientology but doesn't post on any ex boards, so I figure she prefers to remain incognito.

We've had chats about others who were at Saint Hill during the late 70s/early 80s period. I was there then, but she was in for a longer period, starting at the London Org, working on staff there and briefly in the GO at SH. She still lives in East Grinstead and thus has a much better memory than I for people, being still in the environment.

Old SaintHillers would probably be interested to hear about some whose names have come up.

Jean-Luc (forget his surname), his sister Sarah, his mother, and another sister, Danielle who I have no memory of. She apparently spent time on one of the ships and witnessed the chain locker cruelties.

Jean-Luc is a qualified chiropracter and does the odd carpet laying job as he once did that kind of work. He is divorced and has 2 daughters. My friend has a soft spot for him, even though he can be a pain INTA sometimes. He was head honcho among the young boys at Stonelands when we were there and had a definite charisma.

His mother Jenny died fairly recently. She had been out of scientology and was very debilitated by arthritis.

Sarah was of course married to CO Chris Haritou — at a very young age, barely out of school. The marriage didn't last after the mass exodus of the early 80s. She has remarried and has children.

Judy Guy died recently. My friend had been very friendly with her husband of late, sort of gardening buddies, but the COS put their foot down about my friend attending the funeral even though she is not declared. To her mind, this means she is in 'good standing'. She was mightily pissed off about this, mostly that her gardening buddy caved in and has cut her off.

Trudy Chamberlain is also a friend. She is doing very well, has some good job, I forget what, and is renovating a beautiful character house.

There was a COS memorial service some time past for Val Osborne, someone whose name is familiar but who I can't say a remember. She was apparently murdered. I had not heard about this before. Trudy and Shiona Fox-Ness were close friends of Val's, but at the COS funeral or memorial service they were publicly kicked out before the proceedings would start.

Shiona died of leukemia, very young. She had been married to Mark McQuade, but had left scientology. Mark defied the received dictates and attended the funeral. They apparently had a genuine love marriage that was destroyed because she could not remain in and he could not leave.

My friend also has stories to tell about Otto Roos who is apparently a rich business man these days and lives in NZ. (I'm not sure about the latter myself)

Ulrich Kramer's name has also come up, and Ivan Watson who I have never known but who was once CO at Copenhagen. He is public now, still well in, disconnected from his once scientologist brother. That has caused lots of heartache in their family.

Dr Stephen Davies is in Australia, has built a flash house there in Byron Bay, has sold his share in the biolab he ran in London. He and Shoura divorced long, long ago.

My friend was a student on the Briefing Cours when I was at SH. After leaving, she was marginally involved for a sort time in the EG independent field of Steve Bisbey (who died at age 50 from liver failure) and co. She had paid for the OT levels but when she read them at Steve's outfit, she decided it was BS. Clever girl!

Interesting though, she still seems to find some stuff useful — like the tone levels, ARC etc. I am trying to not get too strident in my criticism of that kind of thing. After all, I figure it doesn't really matter.

She will be here for our summer, probably for a few months, so I'll likely glean more during this time.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Thanks Kutta! :coolwink:

9. Dulloldfart

Yes, thanks Gail. All the names/people are familiar to me, although I don't recall anything about Ivan Watson beyond the name.

Jean-Luc is probably Brodie. Jenny Brodie later married Bob Bunting but I think the kids are/were all Brodies.

Paul

10. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

Re: Old friend from Saint Hill days visiting

Thanks for the news Kutta.

This would have been in 1984 IIRC. Val Osborne was from Birmingham. She was on a reg tour in France for AOSH and was murdered by some local nutter. He children were affluent Birmingham org public.

I have to admit to being confused by this - I do not think that Shiona was ever married to Mark McQuade. Shiona was briefly married to Steven Ferry at FOLO UK.

I am surprised to hear that Ivan is in England last I heard of him he was still living in Copenhagen - I know that his daughter still lives in Copenhagen. Ivan was CO pubs for a long time. In the 80's as a public he was busily helping RTC against the guys who became the FZ there. I did not know he had a brother, I do know he disconnected from his former brothers-in-law (as did his ex-wife Renee who is still in the SO).

I look forward to more memories.

11. Kutta

Yes, Mick, Ivan is still in Copenhagen, but he does have a brother who was the partner of my friend for a long time. Their relationship broke up many years ago, but my friend remains closely involved with the Watson family.

My friend was a close friend of Shiona and told me the Mark and Shiona love story — unless it's me who has my wires crossed.

12. solo

solo Patron with Honors

Re: Old friend from Saint Hill days visiting

13. vumba

vumba Danielle Chamberlin

Sara and Chris broke up years ago and Sara (my sister) married Bryan Parker. They are still happily married after all these years and doing really well. KR Danielle

14. Kutta

I am very sorry and embarrassed about the misinformation about Jenny. It really is inexcusable. My apologies especially to Danielle, Sara, and Jean-Luc.

The information comes quick and fast from my friend, so please don't take everything I relay from her as gospel. I am relying on my imperfect memory and may get some things mixed up. I hope anything that is not accurate can be corrected by others who know. I hope also that some of it is of interest. I know I love hearing about those who were there at SH with me.

15. Kutta

Deleted

16. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

Never met Ivan's brother, I knew Ivan pretty well.

I am still confused - bear with me that isn't unusual - Shiona got to the Sea Org in 1977 at FOLO UK. She married Steve Ferry in, I think June, they split in the same month ... LOL

I left FOLO UK in Jan 78 and in September 78 I was at FOLO EU and Shiona was sent there to apprentice under me for a while she returned to the UK in 1979. That was the second to last time I saw her- we were close friends from when I first started in Scientology at HAPI and when she was working with me at FOLO EU we talked all the time and I never heard of anything to do with Mark McQuade good or bad. AFAIK it was not long after that that Shiona went to the Pers PRO Office and the last time I saw her was in early 82.

Again - AFAIK Mark was married to Brenda at this time - maybe Paul can shed some light?

The Shiona went off to the Pers Pro Office and then she left the SO. I am not sure where the marriage to Mark would have happened to be honest. But, again, I was not around there and given the mercurial nature of SO members - and Scots... so if anyone has more info...

17. Kutta

Yes, Mick, I find it confusing too as when I left SH in 1981, I'm pretty sure Mark was married to Brenda. I can only think that the Mark/Shiona marriage came about after both you and I were in touch with what was going on — or that my friend and/or I have got it all wrong.

If anyone knows the true story, please let us know.

18. Dulloldfart

I was never close to Shiona and spoke to her rarely. The last time I saw her was Feb/Mar 1981 in Turner's Hill when I was doing a l-o-n-g circuit training for the 1st London Marathon and bumped into her. She was dressed as colourfully as ever.

I don't know anything about her and Mark McQuade. I thought he was still with Brenda at the time. I saw Brenda in LA in 1986 when she was with RTC and in my courseroom briefly for some reason, but I didn't discuss her marital affairs with her.

Paul

19. Kutta

After thinking about the Shiona/Mark love story for a bit, I am pretty sure the account of it is true. My friend went into some detail about it, how she was too sick to attend the funeral up in Scotland but Mark did, and how she and Mark met up later and he was more friendly than one would expect given the ins and outs so to speak of them both. This she indicated was because of the shared involvement in Shiona's life, her sickness and her passing.

Edit: The Shiona/Mark love story has been reiterated by my friend. Additionally, Mark has since married Miri Guy, daughter of Kathy and Doug Guy and they have children.

Jay and Pam Hurwitz (?spelling) have been out and living in EG for some years.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  20. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Sadly Isla Pryde has died (her obituary is in the Auditor mag).

She was in the SO for over 40 years.

I hope she rests in peace now.

:rose::rose::rose: