What's new

Are staff members given time to go and vote?

apple

Patron Meritorious
Do Sea Org members feel that they are above voting? Do they vote? Do they care? Do they know that there is an election? Are they given time to go and vote? Are they registered to vote?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Back in the 80's, when there was a local Clearwater election, we were briefed on which candidates to vote for and sent out to vote. Other election times, I don't know.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Staff and the general Scn community tend to vote only if there is a candidate friendly to the church that they want to get in, or a candidate who is an enemy of the church that they want to vote against. Or one that espouses certain causes, like the fair tax movement, which Scn's will vote for. But generally, SO members and other staff too busy saving the world, wouldn't bother with voting.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Do Sea Org members feel that they are above voting? Do they vote? Do they care? Do they know that there is an election? Are they given time to go and vote? Are they registered to vote?
As long as their is money in someone's pocket - there is a stat to obtain. I would guess...NO - what is the point? A planet to clear etc...

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ha! Our org managed to get placed as the voting place for the district---like that would be a PR move or something.

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
probably only for special events like probably bans for gay marriage, to stop psychiatry from making public benefit, or when lrh comes back as a politician as per original ot8

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
As far as I know , the who to vote for is a breach of the IRS 501c3 exemption.....but then again, the church didn't really have that then even though they went decades without paying taxes then blackmailed the IRS into paying a token amount. scientology, where crimes pay and government approves.

Back in the 80's, when there was a local Clearwater election, we were briefed on which candidates to vote for and sent out to vote. Other election times, I don't know.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Regarding you last two items.. depends on the jurisdiction....for some require that employers allow at least 5 consecutive off while the polls are open to vote. I also think Australia requires that every person of voting age is required to register....but that is all off the top of my head....google voting regulations and jurisdiction?

Jump

Operating teatime
Regarding you last two items.. depends on the jurisdiction....for some require that employers allow at least 5 consecutive off while the polls are open to vote. I also think Australia requires that every person of voting age is required to register....but that is all off the top of my head....google voting regulations and jurisdiction?

In Australia I think you are expected to register, and nearly everyone does. The only penalty is if you are registered and don't vote there is a $10? fine payable. It keeps our voter turnout rates very high.

Perhaps sea ogres exercise their free choice *cough* not to register.

If you're not registered you're not allowed to vote.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Soon there won't be enough of 'em left to matter if they vote, or not.

Back when I was in I paid no attention at all to political suggestions of the *cough-cough* "religion".

I voted as I pleased back then, however, in the next US presidential election I can't decide whether to write in Mickey or Minnie Mouse.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron

I remember Ron Norton (Captain FSO) and some OSA people briefing FSO staff at muster to get out to vote for some local politician or regarding a local issue.

I think it was in the '83 - '85 time period.

I was back in LA '85 - '88.

The the whole of '88 at Flag. God, was that painful!

One day off that year - went to Disney World and it rained. :duh:

Harvey Jacques told me I had pulled in a motivator. :omg: