Attack on Instagram hashtag for #Scientology?

Discussion in 'Breaking and Major News about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Aug 21, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Attack on Instagram hashtag for #Scientology?

Via Intergalactic Walrus on Tony Ortega's blog: https://tonyortega.org/2017/08/20/h...g-back-the-universe-corps/#comment-3478654875

[​IMG]

One possibility is that is that the Church of Scientology has found a way to have inappropriate content posted to the #Scientology hashtag on Instagram to cause the search results for same to be hidden. That would be consistent with Scientology STAND League repeatedly spamming the #Scientology and #ScientologyTheAftermath hashtags on Twitter. It appears the Church of Scientology may be trying to "jam the communication lines of the enemy" -- i.e., critics of the church.

As noted in another thread, the Scientology STAND League has been spamming the Twitter hastags #Scientology and #ScientologyTheAftermath.

The Church of Scientology did the same thing many years ago to the Internet Usenet Newsgroup alt.religion.scientology (ARS) -- i.e., filled it with spam to render it unusable as a means of communication. Same technique: censorship by spam.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

The Instragram hashtag #scientology is reportedly working again now.

As I said on Tony's blog, I'd keep any eye on it. This smells like it could have been an OSA op.

Or it could be something more pedestrian by the Church of Scientology, like the STAND League complaining the hashtag was being used to distribute religious bigotry and discrimination.

Social media platforms may be particularly sensitive to charges of bigotry and discrimination after Charlottesville, and the COS will likely try to exploit that.