What's new

Axiom142's Video Thread.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks very much. Nice to see East Grinstead again.

You might want to add a commentary of some kind, even if just "turning left now onto Saint Hill Road", and "On the right here is the back entrance to SH. It's really the main entrance for staff and public. The official main gate is just up ahead, but is just used for dignatories."

I know it's too late to add a sound track, but you can still add annotations, or alternatively upload a subtitle track. You can make the subtitle track in a text editor like Notepad. It should have this exact form (not blue though):

00:00:15,701 --> 00:00:26,200
Coming up to the High Street

00:00:29,000 --> 00:00:32,000
The pub on the left is the Crown, where . . . .

etc.

Save the file with an .srt extension, and upload it to YouTube. You can upload one to YouTube, tweak your own copy a bit, then delete the one on YouTube and immediately upload the tweaked one. Rinse and repeat as much as you like.

The pub on the right is the Crown, where . . . .
means the second subtitle will appear onscreen exactly 29 seconds into the video and disappear exactly 3 seconds later. The fractions of a second appear after a comma because the format was originally French. :)

Paul

Last edited:

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Is that heading out Dunning\Hoathly Road?

Any good roads out by the reservoir?

Cheers!

The Dunnings Mill Road is the ‘other’ route to St Hill from EG. I might do a video of that another time.

The road to West Hoathly is straight on at about 4:06 where I turn left to go past St Hill.

There are some nice roads by the reservoir. The only problem is that I’ve found that my camera doesn’t like it when you are going from a very bright patch of road to a dark (shadowed) one and then back again to brightness in a short space of time for example where you are driving along a tree-lined road. It can’t adjust quickly enough and you get a lot of smearing of detail. In all bright sunlight, the results are brilliant.

So, I might have to wait for an overcast day or until the leaves drop off the trees, but I’ll put that on the list.

Axiom142

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks very much. Nice to see East Grinstead again.

You might want to add a commentary of some kind, even if just "turning left now onto Saint Hill Road", and "On the right here is the back entrance to SH. It's really the main entrance for staff and public. The official main gate is just up ahead, but is just used for dignatories."

I know it's too late to add a sound track, but you can still add annotations, or alternatively upload a subtitle track. You can make the subtitle track in a text editor like Notepad. It should have this exact form (not blue though):

00:00:15,701 --> 00:00:26,200
Coming up to the High Street

etc.

Save the file with an .srt extension, and upload it to YouTube. You can upload one to YouTube, tweak your own copy a bit, then delete the one on YouTube and immediately upload the tweaked one. Rinse and repeat as much as you like.

means the second subtitle will appear onscreen exactly 29 seconds into the video and disappear exactly 3 seconds later. The fractions of a second appear after a comma because the format was originally French. :)

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, sounds like a good idea. I can add a voiceover via my editing software – the only problem is, I don’t like the sound of my own voice!

I’ll investigate subtitles. And, I’ll also look at how I can get the best quality on YouTube. The original video (in HD 720p) looks terrific, but the version played by YouTube is rubbish.

Axiom142

Div6

Crusader
The Dunnings Mill Road is the ‘other’ route to St Hill from EG. I might do a video of that another time.

The road to West Hoathly is straight on at about 4:06 where I turn left to go past St Hill.

There are some nice roads by the reservoir. The only problem is that I’ve found that my camera doesn’t like it when you are going from a very bright patch of road to a dark (shadowed) one and then back again to brightness in a short space of time for example where you are driving along a tree-lined road. It can’t adjust quickly enough and you get a lot of smearing of detail. In all bright sunlight, the results are brilliant.

So, I might have to wait for an overcast day or until the leaves drop off the trees, but I’ll put that on the list.

Axiom142
Cool. I was trying to follow your route on google maps...

Re: shooting in high contrasty situations....yah, this wasn't covered in the Student Hat tapes ( ;) ) Neutral Density Filters might help...not sure how much exposure control you have with your video cam. Otherwise, I can wait for an overcast day.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Jeeze - I would've thought clearing the planet might start with your own back yard.

Good twin

Floater
Thanks for the suggestion Paul, sounds like a good idea. I can add a voiceover via my editing software – the only problem is, I don’t like the sound of my own voice!

I’ll investigate subtitles. And, I’ll also look at how I can get the best quality on YouTube. The original video (in HD 720p) looks terrific, but the version played by YouTube is rubbish.

Axiom142

Gee Ax. Didn't your mum tell you that God made you perfect? Baby you were born that way. (man up and do the damn voiceover)
:duh: