Banned Ted Talk on ESP

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by Mimsey Borogrove, Jun 28, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]Um, well, wow. Russel Targ gives quite an interesting discussion on remote viewing that he did for the CIA etc. He is a physicist, and was into lasers originally. There are several points that I'd like to mention about the lecture.

Many times he makes the point remote viewing is a natural ability. Anyone can do it. He discusses non-local awareness and how it works. Gives examples of remote viewing tests he has performed. Gives an example of some random soldiers he trained and their statistical results.

This has always been my contention, that we all have these abilities, which the speaker discusses.

To that end he has an app for your phone - the ESP trainer. http://www.espresearch.com/iphone/ He has books on the subject. The one below tells you how to do remote viewing. It is the one he discusses in the lecture.

In the final moments of the talk, are perhaps the best - they have to do with you and your relationship to the universe etc. Starting around 30:00

I know a half an hour is a lot of time to spend in your busy life watching yet another of Mimsey's crazy videos. However, I think you'll find the time well spent - he is an engaging speaker.

Best,
    Mimsey

[video=youtube;hBl0cwyn5GY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBl0cwyn5GY[/video]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SKF0WLY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

If you want to believe flights of fancy and other whimsical notions that's your affair but the repetitive digs and call-outs towards others who don't agree with you that you're posting with a new thread after another is getting old fast.

3. Mimsey Borogrove

Thank you. You are absolutely correct, and I apologize.

You will notice I did post it under human potential so it would be apart from the general Scientology discussion, which is the allotted location on ESMB for suchlike. I removed the digs that you find tiresome.

Best,

Mimsey

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Can you explain why it was banned?

5. Mimsey Borogrove

Of course - this is a quote from Youtube:

Isn't that a bit weird? They interview them in advance, so the Ted people know what the speaker is going to present. I have nothing else to add, though there was another I have seen on a similar subject by Sheldrake that was banned. He also complained his work was maligned on Wiki, and I have read that the Wiki CEO has a bias against PSI in general. If anything it seems there was more belief in the 70 s than now.

As I think about his talk (Targ) while he does give some statistical proof of positive results, he omits discussing how many didn't pan out. Thus, to some extent his talk is skewed. It is still interesting nonetheless.

Mimsey

6. WildKat

I'll probably listen to it tonight. If it's boring, it'll probably help put me to sleep, which is not a bad thing. Better than Benadryl, which has lately been giving me CRAZY dreams, LOL.

7. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

You would think he would've known this before hand...just sayin'.

8. I do the same thing! I take Benadryl, the rx sleepers are too hard for me to wake up so I take Benadryl til I start have crazy dreams then switch to Tylenol PM for a week then switch back to Benadryl. I put something on YouTube on my phone to listen too and I'm usually drooling in 5 minutes lol

9. WildKat

So I listened to it and it didn't put me to sleep at all! Fascinating guy. He also mentions Ingo Swann, someone I really got interested in some years ago. I've never delved into remote viewing or experimented with it, but he seems intelligent and credible talking about it. It makes no sense that his talk should have been banned. Do they just label something "banned" to get more people to watch it? Hmmm.....

I guess we'll hear from the debunkers anyway.

10. WildKat

Also he reminds me of this guy

IMG_0188.JPG

11. Mimsey Borogrove

He is pretty blind. My take is the 5 scientists they have on referral passed on it so they banned the talks. Take the talk by Sheldon:
    http://highexistence.com/teds-controversy-3-threatening-talks-they-tried-to-censor/
    [video=youtube;4gFi285OhrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFi285OhrQ[/video]

12. Mimsey Borogrove

Have you tried Kava kava or Valerian root? I was at flag with stress related sleeping issues and Mary Reisner, Narconon Georgia'a ED, suggested the Kava Kava - there might have been another. Anyway, she said they gave Kava Kava to addicts coming off heroin it so they could sleep. The Flag MAA disallowed it, because Hubbard didn't allow certain ones, I can't recall which now. I had horrible sleep on Melatonin my fingers would tingle, it would wear off an I would be instantly wide awake. long walks wouldn't work - I was so fucked up on sleep it's a wonder I ever got out of there.

Mimsey

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  13. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Good for you Mimsey!

You are right and proper to put up whatever you feel will be of interest or help to others in our group. Just ignore those who want to shit on anything they either disagree with or don't understand.

I have not as yet seen the vid by Targ you posted above, but I have seen other videos by him . . . hence my comment below.

In the video of his that I have seen, he mentions they why and how he was selected to be involved in and to eventually lead the US military investigation into remote viewing:biggrin:

It is an interesting story with some validity to it . . .

In his earlier active service days he was in combat and, survived rather miraculously when others with him were casualties . . . more than once! Investigation by others in the military interested in why some folks seem to continue to survive while others did not, found the survivors "seemed" to have some sort of intuitive "6th sense" or ESP that caused them to move or otherwise be out of harm's way at the critical moments.

And it was from this cadre of survivors that the first research group were selected by the military for the experiments and research into remote viewing. Ingo was recruited later, after some years, due to the researchers learning of the gig the "OT" folks of Scn were promoting.

The reason Targ and the other combat survivors were chosen for the research was that they were believed to likely be possessed of a higher level of "psychic perception."

The rest, as they say, is history , , ,

But, as I have posted elsewhere on a thread titled, "Remote Viewing," from memory, I reported that a member of my Knowledgism Forum that I coach actually won first prize (and money) in last year's Annual International Remote Viewing Association competition . . .

Hence I can vouch for the fact that both this subject and Targ are for real.

Those who choose to not accept these facts are missing out on something that can benefit folks.

But that is that . . . :ohmy:

For any interest in more in this vein of validity of psych abilities, check out the work by Prof. Dr. Dean Radin.

Rog

/

14. Thanks for the idea Mimsey! I will look into it. Sleep problems are the worst. My step children (whose Mother is still in and pushing for them to join the SO) have a hard time sleeping when they come home from spending time with her, we agreed not allow them to take medications that biomom has a problem with (we actually notify her of any med and she checks with someone to make sure its ok, now we send her the name of something we know they will refuse and then "settle" on the one we intended to use) I wonder if Kava kava would be allowed. Of course she claims they dont have problems sleeping and generally they dont, its only after extended visits with her. We try to be fair and make sure they know our concerns about the church (their Dad was in for 20 plus years)without being overly critical (part of the custody order, we cant criticize her religion) 2 of the kids have no interest and have learned about it on their own, they are the ones who told me about this site! But I am worried about one of them, I've overhead the kids talking and the one will not tolerate any negative talk. Luckily that one has defended us w biomom, that we are not encouraging any of them to seek out negative information. We are working with out attorney to try and make some changes to the order so we can keep all 3 out of the clutches of the church. So thats why I dont sleep well, didnt mean to lay out the story but thanks for the info and for reading this. It really does feel good to get it out.

15. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

The fact he omits discussing how many results "didn't pan out" shows the results he does present are meaningless, and that: (a) he is ignorant of statistics; or (b) knowledgeable both about statistics, and how to use them to mislead people.

Consider a standard ESP experiment that has a 5% false positive rate. (Such an error rate is not uncommon due to small sample sizes.) That would mean that (very) roughly 1 in 20 results are falsely positive. The nature of statistics is such that one doesn't know if the first false positive will occur on the first trial, the 15th, the 20th, or indeed the 35th, etc.

The "scientist" runs trials until he gets his first positive result. (Say he is lucky and it is on the 4th trial.) He conveniently omits mention of the negative results.

His talk is then not skewed merely to "some extent." It is completely skewed. It is meaningless. Worse, misleading. Worst, deliberately misleading.

It is nonetheless interesting to demonstrate ignorance of the scientific method and statistics.

Let me put it another way that might be more palatable to Scientologists -- Indie and otherwise. Assume "Big Pharma" published a single study showing that a drug alleviated depression to a statistically significant extent. Then assume you learned that "Big Pharma" didn't publish five studies that showed the drug had no beneficial effect. Would you be happy? Would you think that "Big Pharma" had been honest? Would you believe that the drug really did have a beneficial effect?

16. Mimsey Borogrove

I get the feeling you didn't watch the video. Did you?

See, these people would draw a sketch of what they were remote viewing. So if the sketch was meaningless, didn't represent the object (building) being viewed, it would be a flunk. That is what he didn't discuss - the errors.

However, he showed sketches in the video that remote viewers did and photographs of the things (buildings etc.) they described. We are talking a different kettle of fish - it isn't guessing which card is next in the deck or whatever. It is kinda cut and dried - the sketch looks like it or it doesn't.

Mimsey

17. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

The error of the naysayers, Mimsey, is that they assert their condition of inability is what has to be true for everyone else :duh:

Logic dictates that the experiments carried out demonstrates that some folks have the ability to remotely view and other folks do not!

Ummmm, what's so complicated about that?

Umm, I know some folks who can swim, and others who positively, absolutely cannot!

So what?

18. strativarius

strativarius Comfortably Numb

You and Mimsey need to get all your ducks in a row if you're going to convince us mainstream muppets Rog. Here's what Mimsey wrote a few posts ago in this thread.

Just sayin'. [noparse];)[/noparse]

19. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

You is right, Strati . . .I should have been more explicit in my word choice.

The research demonstrated that some folks show they have the facility to use the psychic abilities that many believe/have found is native to us all while others do not demonstrate that facility.

Though I will and can tell you that I have worked with folks who, when they began, were as dead as dodos as far as ability to use or recognize that they have psych powers, but after the use of the various R/Ds we have the psychic awareness and abilities began to be available and now they have real facility with them.

Rog

20. Mimsey Borogrove

Oh - I decided to delete my reply as it was too petty. I am trying to turn over a new leaf, Mimsey 2.0 ;p

Mimsey

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017