What's new

Bavaria: "Scientology is an anti-constitutional movement with a crimogenic structure"

Markus

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think this great report fits very well into this thread....

http://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/thought-stopping/

Thought-Stopping

The term originated with Robert Jay Lifton in his 1961 book Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism (a book that I recommend reading by the way, particularly Chapter 22, where he lays out the seven characteristics of the totalist thought reform environment).

In the book, Lifton describes what he calls the “thought-terminating cliché.”

“The most far-reaching and complex of human problems are compressed into brief, highly reductive, definitive-sounding phrases, easily memorized and easily expressed. These become the start and finish of any ideological analysis. In [Chinese Communist] thought reform, for instance, the phrase “bourgeois mentality” is used to encompass and critically dismiss ordinarily troublesome concerns like the quest for individual expression, the exploration of alternative ideas, and the search for perspective and balance in political judgments.”

George Orwell, in his dystopian novel 1984, describes a society where an entire language has been developed, “Newspeak,” full of these thought-stopping phrases:

“…an elaborate mental training, undergone in childhood and grouping itself round the Newspeak words crimestop, blackwhite, and doublethink, makes [the citizen] unable and unwilling to think too deeply on any subject whatever….Crimestop means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought.”........

.......Totalist authoritarian groups such as cults and oppressive governments load the language with such thought-stopping words and phrases. For example, a fundamentalist cult might believe that doctors are evil and modern medicine is the work of Satan. If a child gets ill, they don’t provide any medical care. If the child dies, they say “It’s God’s will.” That “explains” why the child died and stops them from worrisome thoughts that might test their faith. Such an “inner language” affects how people communicate and how they think. Using the cult’s terms begins to box one into a rigid orthodoxy – if you can only express yourself using the specialized cult terms, you start to think along certain patterns, and stop yourself from thoughts that are “outside the box.”

Scientology has its share of thought-stopping phrases. Let me give a few examples.

“He’s an SP” or “She’s been declared.” Of course, this effectively stops any thought about the person or anything they might say. And one does not even think about whether the person really is or is not Suppressive. If the Church says they are, they are, and the matter is given no further thought. “Did you see the CNN program about Scientology?” is met with “Oh, those people are all declared SPs.” And that’s the end of it – no further thought is necessary.

“That’s entheta.” The perfect thought-stopping phrase. It means, “go no further, this is something dangerous, something you cannot read, listen to or discuss.” Anything critical of the Church is, of course, “entheta.” Anything critical of David Miscavige is, of course, “entheta.” Any complaint or negative comment is “entheta.” Scientologists know not to go there. They have, as Orwell put it, “the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought.” “Did you see the St. Petersberg Times articles about beatings at Int?” “That’s entheta.” End of story.

“He’s got overts.” The perfect phrase to dismiss anyone who is critical or who complains. You don’t have to listen to or understand their complaint. You don’t have to think about why they might be complaining. You don’t need to worry about possible conditions that might bring about complaints. The handy phrase explains everything, and you don’t have to think any more about it.

“That’s Black PR.” Similar to “that’s entheta.” Any complaint about Scientology management or leaders is met with this phrase. And presto, you don’t have to give it any further thought.

“It’s Command Intention.” I recall this being used internally among staff, and maybe it’s gotten out to public as well. It means “Don’t question or think about what you are being told to do.” A similar one is “It’s a COB Order.”

“He’s PTS.” Let me be clear – it’s one thing to study a person’s case, taking into account all factors, conclude that they are PTS, and do a PTS handling to try to better their life. It’s quite another to throw this phrase out as a cliché to avoid thinking too deeply about things. For example, when Rex Fowler, an OT VII, murdered his business partner, the first thing out of some people’s mouths was “he’s PTS.” Not based on any case study or knowledge, just thrown out there to avoid thinking too deeply about what it might mean for an OT VII, supposedly Cause Over Life, to murder someone. I heard the same thing when OT VIII Steve Brackett committed suicide: “He was PTS.” I’ve even heard the same phrase used to explain the entirety of current Scientology management: “they are all PTS.” Before you use a phrase like this, ask yourself, “am I just throwing this phrase out as a rationalization or excuse to avoid thinking about deeper issues?”

“She pulled it in.” Too often used by Scientologists to avoid thinking about or empathizing with the misfortunes of others.

I’m sure you can think of other examples (and I’m sure your examples will show up in the Comments section, as usual!)

I sometimes advise people who are recently out of Scientology to stop using the terminology, and stop thinking in the terminology. That’s not because the terminology is “wrong,” or “bad” necessarily, but some of the words and phrases may function as thought-terminating clichés. If you deliberately avoid talking and thinking in the terminology for a while, you force yourself to think things through newly rather than falling back on a pat phrase.

I found this on this site of Jeff Hawkins: http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&sourc...v70ZEI&usg=AFQjCNEA25gBcwKryj5PXKbvohc6Tz-F3w

Thank you Jeff for posting this. I'm sure somebody can contribute more examples here.

best
Markus

Last edited:

Markus

A great comment on Scientology mind controll.....

The following is a comment to the above report about "Thought stopping"

"Cool Observer permalink
July 23, 2010 8:20 pm
Thought-Stopping permeates the entire orgnisation, it’s the basic fiber of Scientology. The TRs are usually the first step, where the pc learns to switch off the mind and go into alpha state (bullbaiting), then there’s lots of repetition and obedience drills.
Obnosis drill: Concentrate on some detail and ignore the bigger picture. Answering without comm lag: Don’t think! Simply use the answwer you’re spposed to use.
Typical question Scientologists ask themselves: What would LRH do? They learn that as well.
Why did LRH make it mandatory for any Scientologist to report their PTSness? Because he was concerned about their inability to have case gain? Not likely, they had to be handled right away to root out any doubt that might have been planted into their heads by a friend or family member.
Circular logic is a major thought stopper: No case gain? You don’t apply the tech correctly. You’re PTS. You’ve got O/Ws etc. It’s always the fault of the Sceintologist, and they accept it.
And the #1 thought stopper? Stress. Make money.Make more money. Make other people produce as to make more money. Be upstat or else…Scientologists (staff and Sea Org) are always busy, remaining upstat means more pressure every week, there are always new projects, new games to be played, new enemies to be fought…there are constant deadlines, screaming execs, everything to guarantee staff never have time to ponder their situation or apply a doubt formula. Oh, and there’s always your eternity to consider, an issue that makes every problem, question or doubt redundant.
And if a wog should have the temerity to ask a Scientologist to use some critical thought…well, Hubbard took care of that, didn’t he?

Think for yourself! Become more aware! More perceptive! Raise your IQ! Get rid of your bank and become 100% analytical. You gotta be shi***** me!

btw: great article, Jeff, as usual."

Right - what a great article!:thumbsup:

Best
Markus

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Excellent thread!

Some additional information: One of the best reads on how Scientology controls it's public and staff is cotained here.
Social Control in Scientology
A look at the methods of entrapment
by Bob Penny
Available in PDF (35 pages, 99K) or PostScript (35 pages, 79K gzipped) formats

Table of Contents
Introduction

Shared Self-Deceptions

"TRs" (Training Routines)

Friends to Be Cooperated With

A Destructive Cult

Scientology Training: Selling "Hard Sell"

Learning How to Learn

How Questions are Handled

I Will Wait until You Stop Asking

Another Example of Scientology Training: "I Am Not Your Auditor"

A Separate Realm of Thought

Start of the Trap: The Numbers Game

The Trap Continues: Gradual Erosion

After Gradual Erosion: Hard Sell

The Creation of Ignorance

But I Thought You Cared about Your Children...

Look Only Where I Tell You to Look

Take a Mile If He Gives an Inch

In Other Words... (a summary)

Scientology Ethics

Ethics as an Assertion

Ethics as the Destruction of Values

Personal Integrity

Advanced Skills of Being In-Ethics

The Defeat of Street Smarts

Caveat Vendor (Seller Beware)

An Example: Narconon and the Purification Rundown

Certainty vs Truth

An Example of Word Games: The Word Control

I Say BLUE; I Dare You To Say GREEN

The Web of Group-Think

Something Done Other Than What Was Said

Results

Enforcing the Appearances of Results

Don't Overlook the Obvious Absurdity

About the Author
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bob Penny, one of the founders of FACTNet (Fight Against Coercive Tactics Network), gives this account of how his book was originally published in a dual edition with Margery Wakefield's book, The Road to Xenu :
Margery wrote the first part of the book (The Road to Xenu), and I wrote the second part (Social Control in Scientology). We decided that the two parts complemented each other, so we published them together in one volume which we first released at the 1991 Cult Awareness Network conference in Oklahoma City. The printing was done in response to demand at the nearest Kinko's or other quick printer. The volumes were bound in a thermal binding machine of mine. Both Margery's work and mine were released to the public domain in 1993, when they were offered for download on the (non-internet) FACTNet BBS. Neither are on file with the Library of Congress unless someone else put them there. The text has been available (with no remuneration to either Margery or me) on the FACTNet BBS and on countless Web and ftp sites for I know not how long. "
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/xenu/scs.html

Markus

Thank you AnonyMary :)

Thank you for this excellent additional information:thumbsup:

Best
Markus

Excellent thread!

Some additional information: One of the best reads on how Scientology controls it's public and staff is cotained here.
Social Control in Scientology
A look at the methods of entrapment
by Bob Penny
Available in PDF (35 pages, 99K) or PostScript (35 pages, 79K gzipped) formats

Table of Contents
Introduction

Shared Self-Deceptions

"TRs" (Training Routines)

Friends to Be Cooperated With

A Destructive Cult

Scientology Training: Selling "Hard Sell"

Learning How to Learn

How Questions are Handled

I Will Wait until You Stop Asking

Another Example of Scientology Training: "I Am Not Your Auditor"

A Separate Realm of Thought

Start of the Trap: The Numbers Game

The Trap Continues: Gradual Erosion

After Gradual Erosion: Hard Sell

The Creation of Ignorance

But I Thought You Cared about Your Children...

Look Only Where I Tell You to Look

Take a Mile If He Gives an Inch

In Other Words... (a summary)

Scientology Ethics

Ethics as an Assertion

Ethics as the Destruction of Values

Personal Integrity

Advanced Skills of Being In-Ethics

The Defeat of Street Smarts

Caveat Vendor (Seller Beware)

An Example: Narconon and the Purification Rundown

Certainty vs Truth

An Example of Word Games: The Word Control

I Say BLUE; I Dare You To Say GREEN

The Web of Group-Think

Something Done Other Than What Was Said

Results

Enforcing the Appearances of Results

Don't Overlook the Obvious Absurdity

About the Author
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bob Penny, one of the founders of FACTNet (Fight Against Coercive Tactics Network), gives this account of how his book was originally published in a dual edition with Margery Wakefield's book, The Road to Xenu :
Margery wrote the first part of the book (The Road to Xenu), and I wrote the second part (Social Control in Scientology). We decided that the two parts complemented each other, so we published them together in one volume which we first released at the 1991 Cult Awareness Network conference in Oklahoma City. The printing was done in response to demand at the nearest Kinko's or other quick printer. The volumes were bound in a thermal binding machine of mine. Both Margery's work and mine were released to the public domain in 1993, when they were offered for download on the (non-internet) FACTNet BBS. Neither are on file with the Library of Congress unless someone else put them there. The text has been available (with no remuneration to either Margery or me) on the FACTNet BBS and on countless Web and ftp sites for I know not how long. "
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/xenu/scs.html