Behind the Facade

Discussion in 'Scientology Front Groups and Alliances' started by Chris Shugart, Jul 4, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Chris Shugart

Chris Shugart Patron

[​IMG]

You’ve got to hand it to them. The Church of Scientology loves to play-act. Last week the COS staged another one of their “worldwide events” showcasing their Foundation for a Drug-Free World. They claim it was a coordinated global happening to coincide with the United Nations International Day against Drug Abuse. As they described it, it was a “record-breaking day of drug education” In reality it was just another day of photo ops and an occasion to trumpet their spurious statistics that represent virtually no actual accomplishments.

In their press release, the Church went on to describe their activities, which they said consisted of “community drug prevention open house events and forums” supposedly taking place all around the world. And they claimed that Drug Free World chapters had set up drug education booths, marches and parades, and sports events. But at the end of the day, all they had were a handful of pictures, and a few random anecdotes about the “success” of their program.

The Drug Free World Foundation tries their best to create the appearance that they’re on the front lines of worldwide drug prevention, working alongside reputable non-government organizations that have legitimate track records and genuine achievements. Groups like D.A.R.E, Partnership for Drug-Free Kids, and many others like them are real organizations engaged in real activities.

On the other hand, this Scientology PR façade can barely call itself an organization. If you take a look at the more bona fide drug prevention non-profit groups you’ll find organizations with boards of directors, advisory boards, and corporate sponsors—just the sorts of things one would expect from an accredited non-profit group. The Foundation has none of that. On their website they don’t even list any kind of organization structure to let you know who’s in charge. Just a nameless phone number.

Like everything the COS does, their front group leadership and staff operate in the shadows of anonymity. It’s a splendid irony that with all of their PR huffing and puffing, Scientology is unwilling to acknowledge their association with their own front groups. Guilt by association perhaps.

To be fair, the Foundation for a Drug-Free World provides free booklets and online courses on the prevention of drug abuse. But here’s the kicker: All of their material has been gleaned and reassembled from the works of L. Ron Hubbard. And make no mistake, Scientologists try their best to keep that fact under wraps. It would seem that they’d rather you not know what they’re actually trying to do.

And what are they trying to do? The answer is not only simple, it’s Church policy. Absolutely everything they do contains a single bottom line: the expansion of Scientology. Of course, they would tell you that’s a good thing. Many others might differ. But that’s not the point. Any group that covertly promotes their belief system and tries to conceal their true motives with deceptive pretensions is worthy of suspicion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  2. Dave B.

Dave B. Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

Others here could state it far better than me - but, I think the idea originally was for the front groups to pose as spontaneous "gung-ho" up-risings of people (non-$cientologists) who found Hubbard's stuff and thought it was so wonnerful that they had to create independent groups and share it with the marks..... err, I mean other people. But we all know that said groups were created by $cientology and are micromanaged by the cult, specifically the mighty midget miscabbage.

Now days the $cientology cult has such a crappy reputation worldwide they've had to put a new slant on it and hide the $cientology/Hubbard connection as best they can.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  3. Chris Shugart

Chris Shugart Patron

Gung Ho Groups were part of the COS org board, as were Field Auditors and Dianetics Counseling Groups. Sort of the COS version of NGOs. Though they weren't staff per se, their activities were covered by LRH policies just like contracted and non-contracted staff members.

4. Dave B.

Dave B. Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

Probably the wrong word to use, I didn't mean it in the $cientological sense. I meant raw meat that get a taste of $cn. get all jazzed by it and want to proselytize.

5. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Scientology - The Cult That Came in from the Cold.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/16/has-modern-technology-killed-spy-thrillers

In John le Carré's 1963 novel The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, an intelligence officer named Alec Leamas is thrown out of MI6, takes a job at a library, loses himself in drink and is sent to prison for assaulting a shopkeeper. When he emerges from jail, he is approached by a member of the East German intelligence service, the Abteilung, and travels to Holland, where he agrees to work as a double agent.
    Le Carré's precision-engineered story is rightly regarded as a masterpiece, but it would have been almost impossible to construct had the author been writing in the age of the internet, or if the cold warriors of the 1960s had been armed with tablets, laptops and smartphones. Why? Because Leamas's apparent fall from grace is an elaborate MI6 ruse. His behaviour is designed to attract the attention of the Abteilung and to make him look ripe for recruitment. An East German computer and telecommunications whizz would have analysed Leamas's digital trail and inevitably found a flaw in his backstory.
    It is no exaggeration to say that technology has transformed the spy novel as comprehensively as the discovery of fingerprinting changed the detective story. Once upon a time, spies like Alec Leamas could move across borders with ease. Passports were not biometric, photographs were not sealed under laminate, and there were no retinal scanners at airports (which, incidentally, can't be fooled by fitting a glass eye or wearing contact lenses manufactured by 'Q' branch). With computers in their infancy, cover stories would stand up to considerable scrutiny. Typically, an MI6 "backstop" would sit beside a telephone in London, waiting to answer calls from suspicious officials overseas, or reply to letters requesting information about an officer's false identity.
    Nowadays, travelling "under alias" has become all but impossible.
    (snipped)

6. Steven

Steven Patron

Damn. I wish I had a picture from the CCHR binder to share. It clearly shows that CCHR is intended to redirect unsuspecting public (not scio public) to the Org for services. I assume there’s an identical diagram in the Drug Free World binder.

Funny thing was that someone from div 6 sent the binder home with me but texted me later that night to say she shouldn’t have given it to me. Now it all makes sense.

7. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

The purpose of all the front groups is to get new people into the Orgs. They are NOT grass root, but are tightly controlled by the hierarchy.