Blanky's Blog ~ Scientology Widow

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Intentionally Blank, Feb 26, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Intentionally Blank

Intentionally Blank Scientology Widow

Today I talk about the first time I enountered the TRs and my very non-Scientologist response.

https://scientologywidow.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/an-argument-about-training-routines-trs/

2. Intentionally Blank

Today I talk more about the TRs and how they use abuse and dissociation to further the goal of mind control. For some students, depending on their initial mental state, the TRs could even be called torture. This was the hardest post I've written to date. When I think about what that cult did to Brian I am overcome with fury and heartbreak.

https://scientologywidow.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/scientology-trs-trauma-abuse-dissociation/

3. Intentionally Blank

Today I talk about disconnection and how it diverges from normal human behavior. We all have the capacity to be deeply compassionate or coldly cruel but to simply walk away from important connections is not normal.

https://scientologywidow.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/scientology-disconnection-is-aberrant-behavior/

4. Intentionally Blank

Today I talk disconnection and what I think it takes to leave your beloveds without even a backward glance. Full text below. Links to all kinds of cool stuff, including a research study that is eerily similar to TR 0: Confront, in the linked original blog post.

-----
    At the bottom of Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker blog posts is a Disconnection Reminder, a heartbreaking list of former Scientologists and the number of days which have passed since their last contact with a loved one who is still a member. In the past few years, certainly since first Going Clear, the book, and then later the documentary by the same name were released, disconnection has come under scrutiny in a multiplicity of media sources. The collective outrage of ordinary people around the world who might never have given Scientology a second thought is evident in response to the the above mentioned exposes but none more so than to Leah Remini's Emmy award winning Scientology: The Aftermath.
    Disconnection is not the only practice that violates what most of us would consider basic human compassion. Protecting child abusers and rapists, human trafficking, slave labor, forced abortions, a staff prison camp, and money laundering make up an impressive list of human rights violations and outright criminal acts.

I've never been in Scientology but I've known a few over the last decade. And of course Brian, my late husband, was a member for almost forty years before he was kicked out when he didn't disconnect from me. With maybe one exception every one of these people I knew were good, kindhearted individuals who love their families, their country and their fellow humans. If you asked any one of them about these kinds of abuses in any other organization they would be as outraged as you and I are about Scientology's same practices. Brian was righteously indignant over a family religious disagreement and the refusal of some members to attend a wedding.

If you were to ask a new recruit if they would be willing to give up their passport (or illegally hold another member's documents hostage), coerce a friend or spouse to have an abortion, or pressure someone into committing credit card fraud, the answer, almost universally, would be a resounding, "No!" followed by a hasty exit. And if you were to inform a new recruit that they would likely, at some point in the future, be required to cease all contact with a loved one who disagreed with the group, recruiting efforts would come to a screeching halt. No one wants to do these things. And yet they do.

So how does this group indoctrinate its members to behave contrary to their own deeply held values? How do you convince someone to leave their family - their spouse, children, grandchildren? How do you overwrite love and compassion?

It begins with the TRs - the Training Routines, the gateway to Scientology and deeper indoctrination.

The TRs are a series of drills lasting two or more hours each in which pairs of students work together to achieve set goals. While the stated purpose of these drills is to increase the students' ability to communicate, as I've discussed earlier, this is misleading. (If one were being blunt they might call it an outright lie.) The first two in the series of TRs are bootcamps for dissociation through visual deprivation - either by fixed staring or closed eyes. While Scientology itself has performed no studies on this technique, it has been studied. This is one such study with deeply replicates TR 0 - Confront. Dissociation and hallucinations in dyads engaged through interpersonal gazing.

As they move up through the TR series, having first perfected the ability to dissociate easily, students are trained to offer no response to verbal abuse, called by the descriptive euphemism, bull-baiting. While one half of the training pair sits without so much as fluttering an eyelid the other half does their best to elicit a reaction by pushing emotional buttons. Nothing is off limits. Shaming, name calling, foul language, or threats. Even humor is offered as bait - and it's a fail if the partner laughs or gives anything in response other than a blank, non moving, stare.

Up to now our heroes have learned to dissociate and to accept verbal abuse without so much as an eyelid flutter or blush. Next up they will give and receive information without giving it critical thought or analysis. Any pause or suggestion of opinion will be met with a forceful "Flunk!" These bits of info are scripted and range from strange literary passages taken out of context to repetitive questions with no merit. No interaction is allowed - only the simple act of hearing the scripted bit and offering the, also scripted, reply - and to do so with conviction.

Further on the drills, and remember all of these are for a minimum of two hours each per student, are hours of shouting, or obeying, pointless directions (look at, walk to, touch a wall) or to shout directions at inanimate objects. (Have you ever considered yelling at an ashtray to stand up? I thought not.) Mind numbing in its absurdity the goal is to follow (or give) a senseless or irrational commands without a second thought. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. And not just the first time through - members are encouraged to revisit and continue to practice the TRs regularly year after year.

There's more but let's talk about disconnection. How do you convince a loving husband to leave his new wife? A mother to leave her children? Long married spouses to separate? Siblings and friends to walk away without a backward glance? Peer pressure is compelling and forceful but typically it is not a match for our mating, pairing, and attachment drives. Disconnection is not something that happens in the short term. Disconnection is the effect of a systematic regimen specifically designed to subjugate the members critical facilities, value judgments, and freedom of choice.
    Disconnection is the scorched earth weapon of Scientology. If everything else fails - if you have broken through the indoctrination and can no longer be controlled covertly - the Church of Scientology will not hesitate to use the power of our natural human drive to bond against you to keep you quiet, in line, and paying. But to do that the same drive has to have been suppressed in members of the group through repetitive deadening of critical thought, personal opinion, and most importantly acting on one's own value system. This does not happen in a day. It takes hours of repeated practice. It takes something just like the TRs.

Very special thanks:
    SciCrit blog and the enormous and highly informative series on the TRs (some are linked but the search function is excellent)
    My behind the scenes source for all things research - from here forward to be known by the name: secret decoder ring
    The mental health professional I spoke with who asked to remain unnamed
    All the exes who shared their stories and experiences of the TRs with me

#Scientology #Disconnnection #TrainingRoutines #TRs #Coercion #Dissociation #ScientologyKilledMyHusband

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  5. Intentionally Blank

Monday Snippet: The Toilet Fiasco

[all the great links and so much more info about our story and about Scientology in the blog post linked below]

https://scientologywidow.wordpress.com/2018/04/09/monday-snippet-the-toilet-fiasco/

6. Intentionally Blank

Today I talk a little about the disconnect between the reality of our daily lives and the times I was suddenly too evil to live with. But I've also included a little checklist you can use to decide if you deserve the coveted label of "Suppressive." Take a read.

https://scientologywidow.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/you-might-be-suppressive-if/

7. Intentionally Blank

In today's post I talk about the Creed of the Church of Scientology. A little about its history but mostly about the outright lies and hypocrisy of the document itself.

One of the things I find interesting is how members hold it up as a shining example of Scientology's ethical standards - all the while the letter and the (supposed) spirit of the Creed are ignored and violated daily. Brian loved the creed. Even when the abuses were directed at us personally he had a hard time seeing the hypocrisy.

I would love to hear from other exes about their own experiences with that confirmation bias or cognitive dissonance.
    The pic, btw, is my husband very definitely "mixing practices". I confess to being a very bad influence ;)

https://scientologywidow.wordpress.com/2018/04/14/the-creed-of-the-church-of-scientology/

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  8. Intentionally Blank

In today's follow up Fair Game post I talk about some non-Scientology harassment I've experienced in the last year and the similarities and differences to Scientology style Fair Game.

https://scientologywidow.wordpress.com/2018/04/25/sex-lies-and-rumors-fair-game-2/