What's new

Chatbox (Natterbox) is currently turned off

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
OK, I can live without the Natterbox. As long as you realise that, by doing so, you're bound to give birth to a whole slew of Conspiracy Theory regarding "The *real* reason Emma turned off chat!!!" Hang onto your hat!

Oh. I know. I'm prepared. I just hope it's REALLY BIG. Something like "Emma turned off the natter box so that she could get an accurate database dump that she could give to the squirrel busters who will memorise it and chant it at Marty who will use it to audit Mark Schreffler who will then disseminate to everyone with an IP address beginning with 6."

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Lulu Belle: I loved your post above (and "liked" it, even). I just wanted to say that I particularly like your sig line;

"I know it is a bad thing to break a promise, but I think now that it is a worse thing to let a promise break you." - Jennifer Donnelly

That is a GREAT quote and one which speaks to ex-scientologists, ex-SO and ex-Staff.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Lulu Belle: I loved your post above (and "liked" it, even). I just wanted to say that I particularly like your sig line;

"I know it is a bad thing to break a promise, but I think now that it is a worse thing to let a promise break you." - Jennifer Donnelly

That is a GREAT quote and one which speaks to ex-scientologists, ex-SO and ex-Staff.
[WIKI][/WIKI]

If you read the book this quote came from...

It's about a girl who was raised on a farm. Her mom is very sick. Her mom's dying wish is that she stay on the farm and look after the family.

She wants to be a writer. It's a huge conflict: her obligation vs the need to live her life.

The whole guilt vs. Need to do what is right for you. When I came across that quote .... exactly explained what I felt the day I left the Sea Org.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Hey Emma, I know it's not really your job anymore but seeing as how you started this thread;

Didn't we once have an off-site/server Chat Box? Would it be difficult to have it again or would it cause more-or-less the same/similar problems? I don't see the traffic settling down anytime soon. :coolwink:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
If you read the book this quote came from...

It's about a girl who was raised on a farm. Her mom is very sick. Her mom's dying wish is that she stay on the farm and look after the family.

She wants to be a writer. It's a huge conflict: her obligation vs the need to live her life.

The whole guilt vs. Need to do what is right for you. When I came across that quote .... exactly explained what I felt the day I left the Sea Org.
Yes. I remember struggling with exactly those same issues. Thank you. :)

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Oh. I know. I'm prepared. I just hope it's REALLY BIG. Something like "Emma turned off the natter box so that she could get an accurate database dump that she could give to the squirrel busters who will memorise it and chant it at Marty who will use it to audit Mark Schreffler who will then disseminate to everyone with an IP address beginning with 6."

:roflmao: shite i doubt it, we're just 'meh' i think, ya does what ya gotta does.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hey Emma, I know it's not really your job anymore but seeing as how you started this thread;

Didn't we once have an off-site/server Chat Box? Would it be difficult to have it again or would it cause more-or-less the same/similar problems? I don't see the traffic settling down anytime soon. :coolwink:

Yes I once went to a lot of trouble to arrange a "light server load' chat box but it wasn't given a pass by certain members & I had to take it down. Some of you might remember the whining about it. :duh:

An offsite chatbox is easy enough to set up (just need an IRC channel for that) but believe me, NO ONE WILL USE IT. (Except maybe Alph who understands IRC).

I've had many attempts at chatboxes over ther years. This is the best one but it's so server heavy. Have you noticed the improvement since it got switched off?

I could try reinstalling Flashchat and say "scew you!" to the naysayers (Like I should have done a few years ago). But it's going to be time consuming & I don't have a lot of time right now, & neither does Mick or Ethercat.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Thanks. No worries, it sounds like too much messing around just to keep a couple of us happy-chatters happy. Yes, the site is running much better now and, seriously, the closure of the natterbox will undoubtedly be very helpful towards improving productivity in more than a few lives. :biggrin:

Lone Star

Crusader
I've never heard of it.

Like I said, I really don't watch TV.

It's not actually a real show. Back in the 80s Mike Myers on Saturday Night Live did a recurring skit in which he played a character named 'Dieter', a German electronica type complete with the slick black hair and black turtleneck with black skinny pants. His faux show was called Sprockets.

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
Emma: said:
Yes I once went to a lot of trouble to arrange a "light server load' chat box but it wasn't given a pass by certain members & I had to take it down. Some of you might remember the whining about it. :duh:

An offsite chatbox is easy enough to set up (just need an IRC channel for that) but believe me, NO ONE WILL USE IT. (Except maybe Alph who understands IRC).

I've had many attempts at chatboxes over ther years. This is the best one but it's so server heavy. Have you noticed the improvement since it got switched off?

I could try reinstalling Flashchat and say "scew you!" to the naysayers (Like I should have done a few years ago). But it's going to be time consuming & I don't have a lot of time right now, & neither does Mick or Ethercat.

in response to
Panda Termint: said:
Re: Chatbox (Natterbox) is currently turned off

Despite the OP stating that
It will be turned back on once things settle down a bit.
I take it that now the natterbox is likely to be gone for quite some time or even forever.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
If the traffic doesn't die down in a week or so I'll look into alternatives for the chatbox. But I'm not going to bust my ass looking for a solution for a week.

AlphOhm

Traveler of time/space
so%2Bmuch%2Bwin.jpg

Stats straight up and vertical!

Tick tick poodleboy.

No problem here bowing out of chat for a while if it means many more people will have info available to help them :)

I can set up IRC in a few days if need be--or maybe even a voice chat :)

Meanwhile, like Her Emmaness said--not gonna bother if it is for a week or so.

Sydney

Patron
At first I was like "Woah?!?" then I was like "Woah!!!" and finally after reading Emmas kind explanation I was like this is freaking epic news!!! I'm so happy that ESMB is been instrumental In informing people out there and giving them an opportunity to heal themselves and get on with their lives, cheers to all!:happydance:

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Either the above OR "Emma was paid off by OSA, and
turning off the natterbox is just the beginning of the end of ESMB".
:roflmao::hysterical::goodluck: OSA ops.....you lose ~~every time~~
you type *a* word.

Tory/Magoo