Contemporary Lexicography

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Clay Pigeon, Dec 10, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Banned

About a month ago I happened on a discarded Third Edition of The American Heritage Dictionary.

Of course the AHD is well familiar to many of us as the de facto official CoS dictionary back in the day for having had a fair definition of dianetics and citing L. Ron Hubbard as "American engineer"

So I picked it up off the sidewalk and checked.

Nope.

Deleted.

It remains my contentenion that honest students of Hubbard's work back in the day had established a well earned respect which decades of gross mismanagement have wrecked.

• Tinfoil Tinfoil x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • List
  2. pineapple

pineapple Patron with Honors

CP, I agree that sincere scientologists -- and scientology -- have sometimes done some good. But I think the "respect" sometimes accorded by the mainstream back then was due more to ignorance about scientology rather than "earned." In the 70's when I was in (and I think you, too) people were much less informed about it than now, and sometimes swallowed scn's PR and shore stories, such as the patently false claim you cite, that Hubbard, who dropped out of university in his second year with lousy marks, was "an American engineer."

3. pineapple

pineapple Patron with Honors

Hubbard, with unusual candor (probably afraid of being found out), admitted in 1950 that he did not have a degree:

From 1950 Look Magazine article posted on Lermanet, in section, "Hubbard Recalls Birth":
    http://www.lermanet.com/scientologynews/look-120550.htm

4. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Banned

Ah my piney friend,

Yes. It was in the early seventies and I was not uninformed. When I first thought I might take up the study I went to the SF Library and spent two days with the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature and the stacks going back to 1953 and the level of amount of gross and abysmal bullshit being hurled at Hubbard and his work and the utter absense of accurate reporting of any of the ideas or activities which I had already observed with my own eyes was flabbergastrointestinaly glabberfestering!

Yes.

There was also some fairly serious criticism and I was grateful to be forewarned.

But, as is also true on this board, the horseshit is egregious abusive unjust unintelligent inhumane odious obnoxious degrading and virtually criminal.

Regardless of his personal flaws and peccadilloes, L Ron Hubbard and his colleagues engineered two eminently marketable commodities, auditing and auditor training which at that time were sold and delivered to produce org income.

Was Hubbard an Engineer?

Ab-so-freakin'-lutely!

From out of the gate.

We don't seem to have much material from his youth but I think it was Miller who came up with an aunt who told of him always coming up with new projects and making special note of his tenacity in seeing them through. If one way worked not he'd tinker with it until he had it engineered.

Not every person handed a sheepskin for engineering is an engineer. Thousands are handed to people who will never be any more than draftsmen. Thousands more go to people who will never be more than used car salesmen or counter workers at McDonald's. Nor is a college university or technical institute the only place to learn engineering. Hubbard was an autodidact with a strong aptitude for and interest in engineering. When I finally happened on Battlefield Earth I was surprised at how much I liked it (at first. Damn thing turned to crap at the end) and one thing I found very impressive was Hubbard's knowledge of mine engineering.

Right at the opening of DMSMH he explains his research is the product of the highly innovative tactic of examining the mind from an engineering perspective. He then does some comparison between the mind and computers which were then bulky primitive contraptions worked with vacuum tubes and one of the ideas he comes up with is the "file clerk". Well, as it happens, the file clerk and a search engine are very different things however they are also so strikingly similar as to be analogous. Arthur C. Clarke is the sci-fi prophet of technology who presaged the communications satelite and L. Ron Hubbard is the same for the primary development of computer science to make the internet possible

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Poop Poop x 2
    • Tinfoil Tinfoil x 1
    • List
  5. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Banned

Actually, candor was not unusual for Hubbard in the Fifties. Yes there were shitstorms with Sara and Purcells but much of his conduct was very good. SOS is (mostly) superb and it shows Hubbard to have been intelligently responsive to two way comm with many other fine minds.

• Poop Poop x 1
    • Tinfoil Tinfoil x 1
    • List