What's new

Count Arthur Strong spoofs Scientology

solo

Patron with Honors
Did anyone see the episode of Count Arthur Strong shown on BBC Friday 7th July? Brilliant spoof of Arthur going into a Scientology centre to take a free personality test because they were giving away free biscuits! He gets the full treatment, including going on the cans for a sec check and being told about the OT Levels. He ends up dressed like Tom Cruise and wearing a huge gold medal, but then realises "Seismology" wasn't responsible for his run of good luck and gives it up. Hilarious!

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, I've just watched it. When his friends find out it's scientology he's involved with they say: "Haven't you seen all the documentaries?".

Scientology has no credibility left with the general public.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Did anyone see the episode of Count Arthur Strong shown on BBC Friday 7th July? Brilliant spoof of Arthur going into a Scientology centre to take a free personality test because they were giving away free biscuits! He gets the full treatment, including going on the cans for a sec check and being told about the OT Levels. He ends up dressed like Tom Cruise and wearing a huge gold medal, but then realises "Seismology" wasn't responsible for his run of good luck and gives it up. Hilarious!

I've never watched any episodes of this show, but after reading your post I thought I'd give it a try, but the first five minutes was so toe-curlingly awful I just couldn't bear to watch any more and had to forgo watching the scientology send-up.

To me it just looked like a pathetic attempt to channel Harry Worth, who could actually be quite funny at times. This, on the other hand, was complete bollocks IMO.

Stratty - who definitely got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
Scientology has become a total punch line.

Ive lost track of the number of novelists who now use it as a simple plot device.
The book I just finished yesterday has the main protagonist in the middle of a panic attack and puking on a scion who's trying to hand her a personality test by the subway.

Then she's offended when her boyfriend laughs, as she tells the story.

There is no other recognized "religion" on earth you could name there that wouldn't get you into trouble with the publisher.

IWantOffThisTrain

Eternal Optimist
Posts like this make me happy! Its getting harder and harder for members to avoid seeing/reading anything "negative" about the cult, even if its satire that doesnt name scientology it will make them think and be one more little step that will eventually lead them out the door.

solo

Patron with Honors
What blew me away was that the programme was so direct. Beforehand I assumed it was going to be full of veiled references, but instead it showed a very real Scientology centre, an actual e-meter and was full of Scientology terms. No ambiguity at all! I couldn't believe they could get away with it. Yes, the show makes you cringe, it's supposed to, but it was a funny gag, "haven't you seen the documentaries?" It shows the cult has no credibility in public opinion, which can only be a good thing.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
What blew me away was that the programme was so direct. Beforehand I assumed it was going to be full of veiled references, but instead it showed a very real Scientology centre, an actual e-meter and was full of Scientology terms. No ambiguity at all! I couldn't believe they could get away with it. Yes, the show makes you cringe, it's supposed to, but it was a funny gag, "haven't you seen the documentaries?" It shows the cult has no credibility in public opinion, which can only be a good thing.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed watching scientology getting sent-up on a mainstream British television program which millions of people will have seen, but the acting and the dialogue was so awful (I can't see anything funny in watching somebody attempting to sit in a chair and instead falling on the floor) I just couldn't stomach it. If it proves one thing it is that the media are no longer frightened of portraying scientology in a bad light.