Cult’s Tax Status in the News

Discussion in 'Breaking and Major News about Scientology' started by Leland, Nov 10, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Leland

Leland Crusader

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  2. Karen#1

Karen#1 Gold Meritorious Patron

3. elwood

elwood Patron with Honors

The Feds will not "go after" Scientology. If they did, Trump's political enemies would have a field day with his persecution of a"church". As I have said before; it's not worth it politically.

4. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Trumps unpredictability could work in our favour on this ... he's already being attacked every time he looks sideways by his 'political enemies' ... (and people who just don't like him) and has been since the day he threw his hat into the ring. I imagine it's like water off a ducks back these days.

I'm quietly hopeful.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. lotus

lotus autonomous rebellous

I am no expert, but I see only one way the tax-exemption status can be revoked:
    Thus, a full investigation must be demanded\voted\ordered\requested or whatever..but only the IRS can decide to revoke a tax-exemption status upon investigation findings. Otherwise, the only thing Trump can do about it, is as usual, tweet, make promises and lot of noise.....

The person who is closer to have the tax-exemption status revoked is imho...Leah Remini...because she made the blattant truth about this scam known widely , and it is obvious , for any people interested in the case that this is a vast fraud
    ..then, only pressure (lobbies and citizens) can make things go a step further...

Imagine a tax-exemption status revoked ..retroactively ...years, is this possible in case of fraud or false declaration (religion instead of for profit organization) ????

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

The Washington Times article encapsulated this best. Maybe a president isn't supposed to directly order the IRS to review an organization's tax exempt status but can he suggest this to the Treasury Secretary? Or, get congress to do what they should be doing anyway - adopt IRS rules that prevent abuses under the cloak of religion? Trump claims to be supportive of religion but this makes all religion look bad and it is a terrible precedent.

Curiously, when a lot of news articles are posted with something about Trump there will be some element of bias or censorship or a qualifier favoring an aspect that is in the interests of the left or the right but that seems to be completely missing in all these articles. It's like, Trump wants to take away their tax exempt status - so...OK. That's not good for Scientology. It means their PR safe pointing efforts and co-opting other organization's agendas to create a positive public opinion for either the left or the right isn't working and that increases the likelihood of a bipartisan bill getting through congress.

If Al Capone was given tax exempt status do we really believe the president couldn't do anything about it?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/nov/10/trump-scientology-and-irs-yes-let-tax-stripping-be/

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

The Washington Times article was published as an opinion piece. I liked it too. The Newsweek piece discussed Scientology tax exemption as a subject for Congressional inquiry in the confirmation hearings for the next IRS Commissioner. If that were to happen, Scientology would become radioactively toxic. Think Fukushima or Chernobyl.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  8. TheOriginalBigBlue

Lets not forget, in 1993 when the IRS granted tax exempt status the internet was just starting to be available for regular users. I'm going to assume that there wasn't a lot of public exposure on this issue at that time. But if details about Scientology behavior are brought up in a Congressional hearing about IRS issuance of tax exempt status now it would be front page news world wide in real time and both parties would be tripping over each other to get credit for any reforms.

Do we think they would settle for just Blinky's deflective rhetoric?

Is there a possibility Miscavige could be called before Congress?!!

Pweeze say it eez soooo!

Pweeze.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  9. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

Slow down. Let's not bury the lede.
    It's possible but very unlikely that a full blown Congressional investigation could emerge from questioning of an IRS Commissioner nominee during confirmation hearings. But stranger things have happened. The news is this. After a quarter century and 3 administrations, the issue of Scientology's unwarranted tax exemption is ON THE RADAR...NOW. AND IT ISN'T GOING AWAY. THAT fact alone is causing Miscavige and OSA to shit their pants!

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  10. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  11. tesseract

tesseract Patron with Horrors

Agreed, but that's not only for political reasons but for psychological reasons too. If I were David Miscavige, Trump's unpredictability would make me nervous as well. :panic:
    After all, Trump is making a lot of people nervous, for various reasons - when it comes to me, it's North Korea and WWIII, mainly. I don't know how "busy" Miscavige actually keeps himself with his little games with big whales and empty buildings and hating on Leah but I sure hope he has some time left to think over Trump. There are some similarities between their personalities and Miscavige is not stupid in the conventional sense, so despite of all his shortcomings he might be able to understand how much of a wildcard Trump actually is. The more nervous Miscavige is, the better. Nervous people make mistakes, and the mistakes of nervous narcissists and psychopaths are even more grave. Those pesky prefrontal disabilities! :) :popcorn:
    I want this shit to escalate, and not only for the lulz. But for the lulz, too. :wink:

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  12. TheOriginalBigBlue

At about 14:00 in this video of Trump speaking at the APEC Summit he goes on a tear about the US letting other trading partners game the system. I could easily imagine this speech being about Scientology gaming US tax laws and how our bureaucrats give away our resources and grant special privileges out of expediency, self interest or ideology.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List