What's new

Cyberfriends/Real Friends

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I was in a store the other day and heard a couple store clerks conversing. Someone was talking about an acquaintance having a lot of friends, but turned out it was mostly Facebook and other cyber friends, many of whom the subject of conversation had not met IRL. One girl scoffed: "those aren't actual friends." and I thought, "that's not true at all."

In my internet involvement, I've seen:

People make real friendships. Even romances. Those started with posts on a forum.

I've seen people who never did have the chance to meet IRL send money to others who needed help. I've done it, in fact. So have lots of others.

I've seen people send beautiful and heartfelt messages of support to those who'd lost family, were ill, were going through hard times with the cult, or hard times unrelated to Scn.

I've gone to parties that were a direct result of meeting people on the internet.

Man, for a bunch of "not actual friends", you guys (and others I've met elsewhere on the net) are pretty goddamn real.

tutu

Patron
Where's the like button for this? :D

I met my hubby online. I met my best friend online. I found my cats online. I think that sums it up.

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Oh, me too. Well, not the hubby, but yeah, I got (scary fluffy demon) kitties from an on line site last September.

I also want to say that when my folks died, I got so much support and love from people I'd not previously met in the flesh and from some folks I eventually ended up meeting later on. Same thing for when I got expelled.

But it isn't always hearts and flowers and deep emotions. Sometimes it's lighthearted silly fun. That's pretty awesome, too.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Absolutely.

If it were not for cyberfriends, mostly from ESMB but also elsewhere, I doubt I could have survived some of the events of the last few years. 99% I will never meet IRL, and all I can say is "thankyou from the bottom of my heart for being a real friend in all senses of the word."

:)

My "Cyber" Friends

star-trek-data.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bIoeBpSeU4

Mark A. Baker

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Many of my best friends, even my wife are people I *first* met online. Some of my best friends I've never met elsewhere. Not all by a long shot, but, it works.

Some of my best friends were OSA when I first met them :)

You never know, but, you don't do anyone any favors by 'faking' things. Online or off, honesty is the best policy.

Zinj

AnonKat

Crusader
Many of my best friends, even my wife are people I *first* met online. Some of my best friends I've never met elsewhere. Not all by a long shot, but, it works.

Some of my best friends were OSA when I first met them :)

You never know, but, you don't do anyone any favors by 'faking' things. Online or off, honesty is the best policy.

Zinj

Well I am happy to see you make friends with the MR,s than in future:coolwink:

nessa

Patron
True friends can be found on the internet, but their can also be the odd fakes too. It'd seem weird to think that everyone else who uses forums, blogs etc... were bad people, other than yourself :)

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Well I am happy to see you make friends with the MR,s than in future:coolwink:

Marty and Mike are the kind of friends I can do without. Of course, if they *really* pulled out some boxes of OSA ops, I might be willing to look past the slime

Zinj