What's new

delphi oregon

freet43

Patron with Honors
Don't be too modest - you've made an excellent career for yourself! You should be proud of that.

Marina

What do I have to do to be distinguished around here? :confused2: I scored 640 verbal & 800 math on my SAT. Then, I flunked out of college. My girlfriend says I perform poorly. I'm still trying to get a life.

DistinguishedConductMedalUKRev.jpg

Zinj, he said distinguished, not extinguished.

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
Don't be too modest - you've made an excellent career for yourself! You should be proud of that.

Marina

Ok, it's true. I've been programming computers for ten years. I've had a lot of success. Delphi helped me to achieve it. Sorry to disappoint, but it's true. Perhaps if I cared more about grades, I wouldn't have flunked out of college. I was studying for application, so that I could use what I learned, and I learned to do that at Delphi. I never got a college degree. When i got to the corporate world, a co-worker with a Masters lamented that he had simply memorized to pass tests and now couldn't actually use a lot of what he studied, and he'd wished he'd done as I had. I know of others who had bad experiences at Delphi, and that's part of the picture. I have my own valid criticisms of the school, too. But I and a lot of others learned useful skills, succeeded, and were happy to have attended school there.

Mac

Individualized instruction is o.k.!

Good for you, Mac! There is a lot to be said for individualized instruction, which is what you got there. I'm all for it for those who have the oomph and interest to fully benefit by it. For some students (extremely bright or creative or anti-authoritarian and Aspies, dyslexics etc.,) it is about the only workable modality for educating them. Others need and thrive with more outward organization, structure and support. I just wish it would be offered without that mentally stultifying Scientology study tech, auditing and indoctrination larded into it. Private schools are worlds unto themselves, until the authorities get involved for some reason. I've taught at my share of them.

I'm sorry you flunked out of college Mac, you might have made a great success of an Academic carreer with adequte support and counselling. We need guys like you on our side, to help us push back the boundaries of knowledge in infinite directions. That's what Academia is all about! :happydance: Don't be afraid to go back and try it again some day!

For everyone: There is a healthy balance between "memorizing only to pass the tests", which is just a shallow paper chase (the paper being your diploma) and learning real world applications (go to trade school!:)) that comprises the majority of Academic college experience for most students. There is a lot more independent study, individualized instruction and online self-paced learning than every before. This is especially true at the graduate level of learning.

College isn't for everyone. For students who otherwise might do well there, sometimes the timing just isn't good or there is not enough social support to help a student succeed there. I'm glad to know that you are making a success of your life! (And I think you're kidding us about what your girlfriend says about you! :D)

Gus

Patron with Honors
I'm just wondering, since I've got a connection to Delphi also.

While I was on staff in the 70s, our Mission holder, Martin Samuels got Delphi going. Some of my friends were amongst the initial staff, and I'd been wondering what happened to them.

Back in the 70s there was a Sheridan mission - that provided services to staff and others that wanted them.

I never heard what happened to Sheridan mission specifically, but assumed that it met it's demise when the rest of the successful COSMOD missions were destroyed by Miscavige's regime in the 80s.

I had a friend named Derrick in those days. He was a short, thin black man from the Carribean or some such. Is that the same Derrick? I'd been wondering where he is these days.

Marina

Hi,

IIRC, Sheridan Mission was located inside the school at first. It was only for staff, and it was referred to at the time as the "Staff Academy." But somebody from the "Church" said that missions had to be open to the public, so they opened the mission down in the town of Sheridan. It was a small storefront on the main drag through town, and they used a van to shuttle the staff down there and back.

I don't know whatever became of it after that. I'm not sure it's there in Sheridan anymore.

-Gus

Gus

Patron with Honors
At the time that Delphi's founder Martin Samuels was officially "erased," I was corresponding with one Jay Nunley Ph.D. Nunley. It was a cordial exchange with Dr. Nunley, and then his letters changed in a way that, at first, was baffling.

Turns out the RTC had marched in and deposed Samuels, and asserted their authority over the Delphi administrators and staff. All Delphi personnel were summoned to a meeting, where they were told of how out-Tech and off-Source they had been, and of the changes to be made.

Later, I was informed by someone who had been a librarian at Delphi in Oregon about some of the events there. I wrote to Nunley asking questions and Nunley wrote back, explaining how wonderful things were at Delphi now, that he had VGIs on the new program, as did everyone there, and it was a relief to finally have LRH Tech back in, etc.

Nunley's mixture of VGIs and fear left an impression on me.

I liked Jay. Thanks for the info about that whole mess - I was kept in the dark at the time.

One such sick (with cancer) Scientology OT was Paolo Lionni, long associated with the Delphi School in Oregon, and co-author of the book 'Leipzig Connection'.

He was accepted as a pc (this around 1980) and then, when he did not respond as expected, was told to go away.

A few years later (early 1980s), I spoke to Delphi School founder Martin Samuels (by that time an ex-Scn) about Paolo (who was now dead), and Samuels described him as having been "treated shabbily" at Flag.

I knew Paolo well. So that's what happened. Thanks for the info.

-Gus

Gus

Patron with Honors
Veda, thank you for the welcome and the informative post.

Jay Nunley, very smart guy. I'm having trouble putting a face to the name, as he was always hard at work in his office. I went in there once to fix his computer (an archaic, even for the time, MiniMicro dumb terminal system). I remember his ergonomic setup with the keyboard at lap level and the anti-glare screen. He sure needed it, as he was responsible for the bulk of the curriculum.

He sure was! (very smart, and responsible for the bulk of the curriculum).

The Leipzig Connection was also required reading, of course. I knew Paolo Lionni's son, Sylvan. He is a Delphi grad and a talented artist. I suppose I could include him in the "aloof" seniors I mentioned my first post. It makes sense, his father having been a founder and headmaster.
Leipzig Connection - interesting. Paolo co-authored it with a fellow named Lance Klass. Lance was the Librarian early on. The book was originally published as a pamphlet, and printed in Delphi's own pressroom, which was on the basement level in the back of the building, below the dining room. The staff had a helluva keg party in there one time, but that's a story for another time :)

In later printings, Lance's name was removed. I imagine Lance must have been "disappeared" by the "Church."

Paolo was a great guy, and possibly the smartest person I ever met. He was never Headmaster, though. The whole time Paolo was there, Dr. Alan Larson was the Headmaster. Doc Larson was also a great guy. He's still alive and kickin' afaik, but he his no longer directly involved with the school.

Gus

PS: The print shop is long gone - they sold the press and platemaking equipment years ago. It was kind of cool having it there, though. They used to write and print their own curriculum - everything was printed down there, so they were self-sufficient. All the curriculum materials have to go through the Applied Scholastics bullshit now. The stuff written in "The Swarm" (Curriculum Development Office) was way better.

Last edited:

Gus

Patron with Honors
do any of you remember the name of the art teacher there? dark hair I think he taught pottery and mby painting. He also took care of the horses. Just wondering. :coolwink:

Did he run the pottery studio down in the basement? There were a few wheels and a kiln, and lots of shelves full of pots in progress. I can't recall his name either, but I remember the guy.

Gus

Gus

Patron with Honors
Does anyone here know about the Children's RPF and/or Children's RPF's RPF at Delphi and if it still exists today?

Does anyone here remember a young boy named Nathaniel, who had one glass eye, who was on the Children's RPF and Children's RPF's RPF there around 1988? At that time, I think he was about 10 years old.

There was no RPF of any kind at Delphi, and especially not a children's one. At least not at Delphi Oregon, AFAIK. Delphi isn't SO related at all. Was it some kind of "amends project" where he had to work in the scullery, or something? Occasionally, if a kid screwed up, he wouldn't be allowed on the weekend excursions and would have to work a few hours during the day instead, but it was nothing like an RPF.

Gus

Gus

Patron with Honors
Marina, thanks for this information. I'm glad to know that Martin is alive and doing well. Perhaps one day he will join us here? :happydance:

Think of the stories he could tell! :ohmy: :clap:

Does anybody know if the Delphi library is still intact?

Oooooooh, man, I would looooove to talk with Martin Samuels! I don't think he'll be here though... I believe he won a settlement with the "Church" that included a proviso that he not publicly discuss it anymore. I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

I liked him when I knew him way back then, and I'd like him now, I'm sure. I am also glad that he is doing well.

Gus

Awake

Patron
I was staff at Delphi OR from 1996 to 2001. Jay was still there, Rusty Gill was the art teacher - he and Paula handled the horses except for the weekends (I was one of the staff who cared for the horses on certain weekends). For the first few years I was there, there was no such thing as a day off. We all worked 7 days/week for a set salary which was way below minimum wage. Later, they were forced to pay everyone minimum wage and we got a couple of weekends off per month.

There was not any kind of RPF at Delphi during that time and I never heard of that happening there. The mission in Sheridan was no longer there - most staff were on lines at CC Portland (which merged with Portland Org a few yrs ago - neither one had any public to speak of - most Delphi staff had no money.)

Greg Ott was the HM during the time I was there. Mark Siegal was the PR person. Butch Nosko was the one who's wife died (someone referred to him early on this thread) in a car accident on the road "up the hill" to Delphi. He was the BM and remarried within a few months to the Delphi EO. There was a major ethics inquiry (RTC?) when the first wife died and it was implied that she wrecked her car because she was drunk. This was rather scandalous since she was the Upper School Head.

I did not enjoy my time at Delphi - it just wasn't my thing and I knew within the first week of my 5 yr contract that it wasn't for me - but I certainly had some interesting experiences there!

Some of the staff became friends, some were assholes. All staff were under tremendous pressure to recruit recruit recruit more students. Screw the staff - just get the money in! The ESL prgm was taking over and more and more foreign students who spoke very little (if any) English were signed up. At that time, the ESL tuition was around $30,000 per year and these students were required to fly home at least three times during the school year due to school breaks. It was a very expensive education and they never graduated.

Temporary "summer staff" would come for three months and many were appalled at the living conditions for staff. The vast majority of us lived in tin can trailers with no a/c - and 2 bathrooms which might have to be shared with 10 people.

I think the education was ok but highly overpriced. My son only did ok - didn't hate it, didn't love it. Staff kids were treated differently than the "paying" students and did not get the same attention. Ethics was heavier on them also.

Gus

Patron with Honors
I was staff at Delphi OR from 1996 to 2001. Jay was still there, Rusty Gill was the art teacher - he and Paula handled the horses except for the weekends (I was one of the staff who cared for the horses on certain weekends).

Oh, I was thinking of the ceramics guy from around 1979 or so. I was not around much after the 80s.

There was not any kind of RPF at Delphi during that time and I never heard of that happening there. The mission in Sheridan was no longer there - most staff were on lines at CC Portland (which merged with Portland Org a few yrs ago - neither one had any public to speak of - most Delphi staff had no money.)

Ah, so that's what happened to the Mission of Sheridan. Thanks for the update.

Greg Ott was the HM during the time I was there. Mark Siegal was the PR person. Butch Nosko was the one who's wife died (someone referred to him early on this thread) in a car accident on the road "up the hill" to Delphi. He was the BM and remarried within a few months to the Delphi EO. There was a major ethics inquiry (RTC?) when the first wife died and it was implied that she wrecked her car because she was drunk. This was rather scandalous since she was the Upper School Head.

Yeah, Ott was HM for some time. Alan Larson has been less and less involved over the last 15 years.

Butch's wife was Mary Jane Nosko. She was very nice. I liked Butch, too. I was sad to learn she had died.

Marriages are weird there. Delphi Oregon is very insular. So I'd hear of two couples divorcing, and then later the couples would basically swap and marry each other - the husband in one of the divorced couples would marry the wife from the other divorced couple, and vice versa. I guess there's not a very big pool of potential mates there, and you have to be married to screw.

The ESL prgm was taking over and more and more foreign students who spoke very little (if any) English were signed up. At that time, the ESL tuition was around $30,000 per year and these students were required to fly home at least three times during the school year due to school breaks. It was a very expensive education and they never graduated.

They've pushed ESL for a loooooong time. Back in the 70s, they had some students from Iran. Then there were a bunch of Japanese students. Then a bunch from Mexico. There was a "China Project" back in the late 70s, but it never panned out.

Temporary "summer staff" would come for three months and many were appalled at the living conditions for staff. The vast majority of us lived in tin can trailers with no a/c - and 2 bathrooms which might have to be shared with 10 people.

Ugh. I thought staff housing had improved, but I guess not. Where were the trailers? Out past the Promenade? There are a few duplex houses out there for the execs, but I thought they got rid of the trailers.

I think the education was ok but highly overpriced. My son only did ok - didn't hate it, didn't love it. Staff kids were treated differently than the "paying" students and did not get the same attention. Ethics was heavier on them also.

If I were sending a kid to private high school, for $30K +/year, I would not automatically send my kids to Delphi today. There are a lot of really good schools that do a better job of preparing kids for college and beyond.

Gus

Awake

Patron
Marriages are weird there. Delphi Oregon is very insular. So I'd hear of two couples divorcing, and then later the couples would basically swap and marry each other - the husband in one of the divorced couples would marry the wife from the other divorced couple, and vice versa. I guess there's not a very big pool of potential mates there, and you have to be married to screw.

They've pushed ESL for a loooooong time. Back in the 70s, they had some students from Iran. Then there were a bunch of Japanese students. Then a bunch from Mexico. There was a "China Project" back in the late 70s, but it never panned out.

Ugh. I thought staff housing had improved, but I guess not. Where were the trailers? Out past the Promenade? There are a few duplex houses out there for the execs, but I thought they got rid of the trailers.

The trailers were to the left as you face the main building. They built 3 small houses for staff in the 5 yrs I was there - of course they went to long time staffers and higher ranking ones than I was.

I never knew about the "spouse swapping" - anyone that would have still been there when I was there?

Koreans were the cash cow ESL students during my time. They were not especially bright kids and none did well at Delphi.

Happy Days

RPF is Sea Org punishment and not part of the ethics gradient of Applied Scholastics entities or groups.

ABLE is a Sea Org run organisation which oversees such groups as Applied Scholastics. ABLE claims that these groups are secular which is ridiculous as Sea Org members stat push these groups and are very much connected to the CoS.

Anyway, working 7 days a week for under the minimum wage or no pay is punishment enough me thinks..:yes::yes:

Gus

Patron with Honors
The trailers were to the left as you face the main building. They built 3 small houses for staff in the 5 yrs I was there - of course they went to long time staffers and higher ranking ones than I was.

Ah, yes. That row of trees to the immediate left of the main building - we called that the Promenade - did they still call it that when you were there? I think the trailers were past the end of it. I guess they are getting run down.

Those staff houses are duplexes, and sure have a nice view of the valley! They are occupied by some of the long-time faculty. I remember when they lived in a dorm on the 1st floor of the East wing. I guess they earned it.

I never knew about the "spouse swapping" - anyone that would have still been there when I was there?

Well, there was a whole thing when Janet and Bruce Wiggins divorced, Bill and Marti Hickey divorced, and Alan and Sherri Larson divorced, and Janet ended up with Alan Larson, Bruce ended up with Marti Hickey, Bill Hickey left, and I think Sherri did too. That was before your time, I think. It was pretty odd... all of a sudden Janet Wiggins was Janet Larson, etc. It was a bit weird 'cuz it all happened in a very short period of time. The students were like, "huh?"

Koreans were the cash cow ESL students during my time. They were not especially bright kids and none did well at Delphi.

Interesting. The Japanese kids were a lot of fun... actually they were all kind of fun - the kids from Iran, Japan, and Mexico. There was also a family from France, early on, and kids from Germany and Switzerland. We'd teach each other how to say swear words in our respective languages :) None of the ESL kids did much as far as graduating, but they did learn English. I'd say the Japanese probably got the most out of it. I imagine their fluency has helped them back in Japan - good English-speakers are a hot commodity there.

-Gus

Awake

Patron
Ah, yes. That row of trees to the immediate left of the main building - we called that the Promenade - did they still call it that when you were there? I think the trailers were past the end of it. I guess they are getting run down.

Those staff houses are duplexes, and sure have a nice view of the valley! They are occupied by some of the long-time faculty. I remember when they lived in a dorm on the 1st floor of the East wing. I guess they earned it.

Well, there was a whole thing when Janet and Bruce Wiggins divorced, Bill and Marti Hickey divorced, and Alan and Sherri Larson divorced, and Janet ended up with Alan Larson, Bruce ended up with Marti Hickey, Bill Hickey left, and I think Sherri did too. That was before your time, I think. It was pretty odd... all of a sudden Janet Wiggins was Janet Larson, etc. It was a bit weird 'cuz it all happened in a very short period of time. The students were like, "huh?"

Interesting. The Japanese kids were a lot of fun... actually they were all kind of fun - the kids from Iran, Japan, and Mexico. There was also a family from France, early on, and kids from Germany and Switzerland. We'd teach each other how to say swear words in our respective languages :) None of the ESL kids did much as far as graduating, but they did learn English. I'd say the Japanese probably got the most out of it. I imagine their fluency has helped them back in Japan - good English-speakers are a hot commodity there.

-Gus

Wow - lots of wife swapping! Yeah, that was before my time. And I never heard any of the staff talk about it - must have been verboten to discuss (altho the Bruce and Janet thing sounds a bit familiar). Bill and Sherry were gone when I was there, tho I at least heard of Bill... The Promenade....it's coming back to me now! The trailers were at the end (far end away from the building) and there were swingsets on the path up to the main building. You seem to know a lot about the houses built for staff - when were you there? Doesn't sound like they've built any more since then. One year I was the Delphi "parent" to two Austrian kids - ages 7 and 9. Youngest boarding kids Delphi had ever had. They were horribly homesick and didn't last the year. I felt so bad for them and was so relieved when their mom finally agreed to take them back home. She was a wealthy Scn of course and didn't seem to want them with her. Otherwise, we had few to no students from other countries besides Korea (and Mexico but they were all from wealthy Scn families and not ESL). Wonder what the enrollment is these days at Delphi?

Megalomaniac

One year I was the Delphi "parent" to two Austrian kids - ages 7 and 9. Youngest boarding kids Delphi had ever had.

I was a boarding student at Delphi Oregon, starting in the summer of 1977, just before I turned 6 years old. I don't think I was the youngest, either. I know they later changed the minimum boarding age to 8, and maybe raised it again after that. They must have made an exception for the 7-year old you cared for.

Mac

Awake

Patron
I was a boarding student at Delphi Oregon, starting in the summer of 1977, just before I turned 6 years old. I don't think I was the youngest, either. I know they later changed the minimum boarding age to 8, and maybe raised it again after that. They must have made an exception for the 7-year old you cared for.

Mac

I stand corrected. The minimum age was, I believe, 9 yrs old in the years I was staff there. An exception was made for the 7 yr old so the school could get BOTH kids enrolled - doubt the mom would have split them up. As their PT, I spent all my waking hours with them except when they were in class. How did you cope with being separated from your parents at such an early age? How long did you attend Delphi?

Gus

Patron with Honors
Wow - lots of wife swapping! Yeah, that was before my time. And I never heard any of the staff talk about it - must have been verboten to discuss (altho the Bruce and Janet thing sounds a bit familiar).

Yeah, that's not discussed much :)

Bill and Sherry were gone when I was there, tho I at least heard of Bill... The Promenade....it's coming back to me now! The trailers were at the end (far end away from the building) and there were swingsets on the path up to the main building. You seem to know a lot about the houses built for staff - when were you there? Doesn't sound like they've built any more since then.

I was around from the late 70s to the early 80s. From what you describe, those trailers are the ones I was thinking of. I think they have been replaced with more permanent residences now, but I could be wrong. The first outbuilding that was put up was either the gym, or the girls dorm right at the beginning of the promenade, I don't recall which. I think it was the dorm. This was around '83 or so. They've been putting up more and better ones since. They couldn't fit everyone in the main building anymore!

One year I was the Delphi "parent" to two Austrian kids - ages 7 and 9. Youngest boarding kids Delphi had ever had. They were horribly homesick and didn't last the year. I felt so bad for them and was so relieved when their mom finally agreed to take them back home. She was a wealthy Scn of course and didn't seem to want them with her. Otherwise, we had few to no students from other countries besides Korea (and Mexico but they were all from wealthy Scn families and not ESL). Wonder what the enrollment is these days at Delphi?

Wow - halfway around the world! And one long damn plane ride. I wouldn't send children that young away from home for more than a week or two at summer camp. I'm surprised they took them, especially the 7-year-old. I guess if, as Mac suggested, the parents wanted to keep them together, they gave it a go. But the parents must be nuts. That whole "big thetans in little bodies" crap always bothered me. Kids are kids. LRH just couldn't seem to grasp that simple concept.

I recall a minimum boarding age being mentioned, but I can't recall what it was. I think Mac said 9. There was a Primary School for the young kids, and I remember Mac and his brother, but what's odd is I didn't realize they were boarding. I thought their parents were around. All the Primary School kids were children of the staff, as far as I knew. I guess not!

Gus

Megalomaniac

Wow - lots of wife swapping!
I was a student around the time this happened. It seemed odd, but it worked out. I mean, the new couples matched well and are still together today as far as I know.

I stand corrected. The minimum age was, I believe, 9 yrs old in the years I was staff there. An exception was made for the 7 yr old so the school could get BOTH kids enrolled - doubt the mom would have split them up. As their PT, I spent all my waking hours with them except when they were in class. How did you cope with being separated from your parents at such an early age? How long did you attend Delphi?
I was at Delphi from 1977-1981, a few weeks in the summer of 1985, and from 1986-1989. I returned for every Alumni Weekend from 1993-2008. Tried in 2009, but no longer welcome.

I coped pretty well, I thought. They treated me well and I still consider the staff as family. I know it didn't work that way for everyone.

I remember Mac and his brother, but what's odd is I didn't realize they were boarding. I thought their parents were around.
Part of the time from 77-81, we lived in Sheridan with our dad. But, yeah, we were boarding, in 1West dormitory, co-ed, with curtains for doors and walls that didn't reach the ceiling :ohmy: .