delphi oregon

Discussion in 'Reconnecting with Old Friends' started by amethyst, Mar 7, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. amethyst

amethyst New Member

I was there from 77-84. The Larson/Wiggins switcharoo happened after that. I met up with Sherry Larson a few years later in Virginia. Bill Hickey was there too, but I think he's back in Portland. Whatever happened to Winton Wiggins?
    I am sad to hear about Mary Jane Nosko. She was a very very nice woman.
    We lived in the original trailers at the end of the promenade. We had three rooms - but shared those bathrooms with everyone. I always had trouble getting used to the unisex bathrooms at Delphi.
    The ceramics teacher in 79 might have been Frank Mills
    I helped to start the ESL curriculum and was Dir Acad when the first Mexican and first Japanese students arrived. I loved teaching them!
    I was also a house parent to a couple of great kids who were from Mexico.
    Delphi was not all bad - it was the politics and the social strata of the higher ups and the way most of the staff were often mistreated IMHO. I met a lot of great students there tho and I hope they have gone on to have wonderful lives.

2. gantzer22

gantzer22 New Member

Hi Mac,

I've been reading your posts with a lot of interest. I'm a reporter working on a story about educational programs such as the one at Delphi, Oregon, and I'm very curious to hear about the experiences of students who attended. Shoot me a note at truefact11@hotmail.com if you're willing to have a casual conversation--I'd love to hear more about your time there.

Thanks,
    Ben

3. Gus

Gus Patron with Honors

Yeah, those open dorms were a hoot!

Gus

4. Gus

Gus Patron with Honors

Winton is a Civil Engineer with CalTrans, is married, and has a kid or two. I believe he lives is the Sacramento area, now.

And don't forget the French class! Amethyst taught the first real foreign language class there, and probably still the best. :)

Gus

5. HollywoodGuy

HollywoodGuy Patron with Honors

I was probably acquainted with you then.

Jay worked at Heron, but his stepdaughter was a student at Delphi.

Interesting to hear a staff member's perspective.

It wasn't THAT soon, was it? It seemed to me like a year or two.

She was the Middle School head.

I'm sorry about that.

I was under the impression that there were only so many ESL students they could take. Yeah, I remember that most ESL students, even though they graduated their ESL form, and sometimes got as far up as Form 6, never graduated. But I remember Eun Gook Kim graduated (assuming he started out in ESL)

Did your son graduate?

6. HappyGirl

HappyGirl Gold Meritorious Patron

Me too! Thanks for this data. Although this thread is old, this is news to me. I was never a student at Delphi, but the Larsons got me into Scio, and it was a shock to me when they got divorced. It seemed very sudden, and I never knew why.

That's true! I guess it did work out.

7. MAK

MAK New Member

Was on staff from early 1975 to mid 1976.

MAK