Dick Glass

Discussion in 'Reconnecting with Old Friends' started by Aliceinwonderland, Jul 17, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Silver Meritorious Patron

gruesome...

He didn't do that when he came to FCDC fortunately. I liked the guy. Kathie and I had his "Elephant Country" album

2. Koot

Koot Patron with Honors

He thought he was burning money but he was really burning fans!!! Excellent example of the mis-application of some tech point.

3. GingeR Lox

GingeR Lox New Member

Hi Soylent Night,

I know this is a super ancient post... Just under curiosity, who was the 14 year old relationship with and when?

4. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Hi GingeR,

Soylent Night hasn't been here on the forum in almost 8 years. So your chances of getting a response are slim.

But :welcome2:

5. GingeR Lox

GingeR Lox New Member

b
    Hi, thank you! I really didn’t realize that there were this many people on the Internet still talking about my friend, Dick Glass. My real name is Melissa. I was with Dick the night he died. I was the only person to see him take his last breath. I was 15 years old at the time. My parents and I lived upstairs from him and were the property managers of the apartment building where he lived in Glendale, California. Dick hired me to help him with chores in the house since he was an amputee and in a motorized wheelchair. I only knew him for a very short time before he had his heart attack. It was traumatizing for me and I suffered with six months of anxiety after his death. I have thought of him so many times over the years and the opening song at his service “you can’t stop tomorrow” was my request. I would love to chat and share memories here with everyone. There are some here that claim he is alive, he is not. If there is anyone that would like to chat, I am more than happy to answer any questions.

• For you For you x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Hi Melissa, many of those on this thread here are not around much or at all, but I tried sending a message to one of them.

I didn't know Dick Glass, but got curious from reading this thread, what year did he did?

7. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

I met Dick Glass a couple of times. He was a sweet guy. I had the impression that he believed Scientology would somehow catapult his career into stardom. It didn’t.
    I hope that before he passed, he understood how he was used,manipulated, and ultimately discarded by them.

8. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Hi Melissa,

That's so awful. It's hard to watch others you know die, especially when you're young and full of life, energy, health and vigor and have a whole life ahead of you. I'm sorry to hear about this and sorry you went through this. Hugs :hug:

I knew Dick Glass in the early 80s in Los Angeles when I worked at AOLA and I was on an auditor training course with him at ASHO that I took as a Sea Org member (I think it was "The New Era Dianetics" (Class V) course). I twinned with him (paired up to drill each other) for a while. As a fellow student and a twin, he was a really nice guy. I saw him around ASHO back then and never heard much about him afterward.

Thank you for looking after him when he was having such a tough time. You sound like a good-hearted woman and it's nice to have you join us here. Is there anything more you can tell us about Dick Glass?

What about you? Were you ever in Scientology, Melissa? What was it like for you?

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  9. GingeR Lox

GingeR Lox New Member

Hi there, he passed away in July of 1992. He was in his early 50’s. I was 15 years old. I happened to be at his home putting away laundry and vacuuming his room. He
    had just finished making his dinner and was getting ready to watch his favorite Olympic event, swimming. He called me into the living room, telling me “Melissa, I’ve been waiting for this to come on.. watch this...!” He was so excited. I didn’t know much about the Olympics nor did I have much interest, however, it made him happy that he shared it with me. It was the middle of the race when he gasped, held his hands to his chest, his eyes got so big, he looked at me and then fell dead weight out of his motorized wheelchair into the floor. It was so traumatizing. Everything began moving in slow motion, as I went into a temporary shock. I called out his name, “Dick!” And when he didn’t answer I jumped up and grabbed the phone... I called 911, spoke with the 911 operator as I followed her directions to turn him over. With blood on my hands, I listened for his breath. Nothing. By this time the paramedics got there and attempted to revive him. My parents flew downstairs to get me. We followed the paramedics to the hospital and waited in the waiting room for the doctor, who told us that he had, had a massive heart attack and died instantly. This was absolutely traumatizing for me at 15, however, months earlier... Dick had confided in me (and this brings me to tears now saying this) that one dying wish he had because he lives alone, was that he hoped that someone would be with him when he died. He did not want to die alone. I thanked the heavens above numerous times following that I was with him that evening! R.I.P. my beloved friend Dick Glass.

10. GingeR Lox

GingeR Lox New Member

Hi Just Sheila,

Thank you for your kind words. We bonded because I was very mature for my age and we
    both shared a love for music and writing. I had begun writing song lyrics at 11 and Dick would allow me to share my lyrics and ideas with him. We would brainstorm. He would tell me stories of his music career and his life and would play some of his records for me. I fell in love with, “you can’t stop tomorrow” so he gave me his 45. I still have it somewhere in storage. I requested that be played at the opening of his service, and that it was. He was alive, and caring, patient and kind, so funny and loved to tell stories. He also seemed to have a solice and private side as well and I never wanted to pry. However, I was intrigued by him. He talked to me about his diabetes and my weight (as I have battled my weight my entire life and still do) and he showed he where his candy stash was in his bedroom nightstand in the event his sugar got really low, I would have to grab the candy fast. He was writing or putting something together that involves Marketing, however I’m not too sure what the entailed. As more memories come to mind, I will surely post!

• Like Like x 2
    • For you For you x 2
    • List
  11. GingeR Lox

GingeR Lox New Member

Just Sheila,

I have never been a Scientologist, and truthfully, I can’t really recall us discussing that he was a Scientologist. He may have but it’s not fresh in my mind. It became clear and known after his death when his service was announced, which my parents and I attended.

12. Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie Miss Ellie

Thank you for caring and being his friend after all these years. Being there when he died as an adult that would be hard - as a child that must have been a nightmare.

The few of days I was around him I enjoyed. I think he needed lots of love and admiration as we all do. I wish he had lived longer and found more commercial success in music. Medical knowledge we have today would have helped him so much.

I am glad he is remembered...

13. Cherub

Cherub Back from the Dead

Hello L & Melissa
    I have not posted here in 12 years -- I have no idea why I came though here but was on a whim to look to see if I can help any of my very old friends from the 60s and 70s. I have some of Dick's data stuff & yes I am the one who went through his hard drive to find his Will. I really miss the guy. I am trying to upload his big hit Seattle Sunshine -- but the site will not allow me citing "too big" -- it's only 5K. O well. If someone wants it please pm me and I will try to send it that way. So many of my old friends have died......