Did anyone join Scientology after age 29?

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by TomKat, Jun 17, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. TomKat

TomKat Patron with Honors

I personally have not heard of anyone in their 30s or older joining Scientology for the first time. Anyone know different?

2. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Does that clown where a bullet proof vest during his act?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  4. dchoiceisalwaysrs

Perhaps Maria Pia Gardini

https://holysmoke.org/cos/maria0.html

Maria is a delightful woman who speaks very good English with a charming Italian accent. She is appalled when she looks back at what happened to her in Scientology. Maria comes from a wealthy Italian family. She was coerced into giving nearly her entire inheritance to Scientology and now is in serious financial difficulties.
    Maria's daughter got into Scientology via the Narconon program in Italy. Maria was very close to her daughter and extremely concerned about her daughter's drug use.
    Her daughter told her Scientology had helped her. At the same time, Maria was very sad about the death of her father, and her daughter begged her to get some auditing to help relieve her grief, so Maria did it. As luck would have it, Maria had a very sympathetic auditor to talk to about her father's death. This auditor helped Maria tremendously during a difficult time in her life. That was the beginning for Maria Pia.

=============
    Let me think....a lady who has a daughter who had a problem with drug use.... Let's say age 16 has daughter born..the daughter at 16 into drugs....that would make 32 as the most probable minimum age of Maria Pia.
    So yes. She is one

5. dchoiceisalwaysrs

Then there was a couple whom I met and who were well into their 40's who owned and operated a restaurant and got into Scientology at that age of 40+

6. dchoiceisalwaysrs

Then there is Nan McLean. She would have been older than 30 before scientology even existed.

https://tonyortega.org/2017/04/24/n...ntology-documentary-goes-online-and-it-rocks/

We featured Nan in our book about Paulette Cooper, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, because her story was intertwined with Paulette’s — in the early 1970s, as they will tell you, there was almost no one else who was called on regularly to talk to news organizations about Scientology, and both of them paid for it dearly.
    This particular program is especially good because it catches Nan at an early moment in her move away from the church. Her own daughter calls her out, saying that she can’t admit that she had simply been duped. Nan argues that in fact she still believed that there was good in Scientology and that she had not been duped.
    We called her up last night, and she told us she remembers the program well, and she also remembers those arguments with her daughter.
    “It took me a long time before I abandoned the idea that the tech was OK. But I was stupid,” she says now in her typical blunt style. (She’s 93 and still sharp as a tack.)

7. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Maria's got no more financial difficulties. She passed away back in 2013.
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/threads/rip-maria-pia-gardini.28698/

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • For you For you x 1
    • List
  8. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

I was 32 when I first bought DMSMH. At that time I'd never heard of L. Ron Hubbard or Dianetics or Scientology.

There was a guy in our org who first joined when he was in his 70's. I also remember people in their 40's and 50's coming in for the first time. It wasn't uncommon. This was in the 1980's and 90's.

9. Irayam

Irayam Patron with Honors

It was the same for me when I started scientology, it was the 70’s - 80’s and the information about the cult was ont as easy as today to find.
    I was around 20 years old,but some of the people starting-gate that time where between 40 and 60.

Irayam

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Huh? Huh? x 1
    • List
  10. exbritscino

exbritscino Patron with Honors

My experiences completely mirror the above. The only exception was that I was 34 when I was press ganged.

11. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

I entered while in my 30's. Only stayed a couple of years.

I recall one couple in their 60's did courses and auditing in the local org. This was back in the 1970's.

12. Dave B.

Dave B. Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

Calypso Louie. I think he wore funny hats.

13. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

I was 31.....1973.....Celebrity Center on 8th Street, in L.A. ....when I walked in the door and said..."Where do I start?" It was one week after I had attended a Scientology event at the Paladium in Hollywood. I had picked up an Advanced Mag at the event and I was blown away by the OT Success Stories in the magazine. Boy, did I want that!!!!

14. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Yes, it was unusual.

I joined staff at about 20 years old in 1974. (bait-and-switch!)

I remember Earl and his wife Betty joined staff at the Riverside Mission when they were past 30 (maybe 40?)

@pineapple remembers Earl in Hawaii and might have a comment.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. pineapple

pineapple Patron Meritorious

I do remember Earl. He was ED of the Honolulu Mission for a while. At the time I'd guess he was at least 40.

I also remember his wife in Riverside. I believe she was an HGC auditor for a while, then off staff for some reason.

I don't know when they got into scn, but I'd say they were both in their 40's at the time I remember them.

We had a woman on staff in Hawaii who was in her 50's and she told me she'd been in scn about 15 years, so that would mean she joined scn when she was well past 29. She was OT III and Cl VI and did the BC at SH in the late 60's.

16. Cat's Squirrel

Cat's Squirrel Gold Meritorious Patron

Leonard Dunn (whom I was privileged to know, and some old timers here from the UK might remember) was in his late thirties when he joined Scientology. I was 27 when I did my first course at the local Org although I'd been reading bits and pieces of LRH's works since about 21, and my stepdad would have been 29 or 30 when he joined in 1966. So in my experience it's not all that rare in the UK to join later on in life.

17. Irayam

Irayam Patron with Honors

My apologies for my french spellchecker having not the fucking rank to change my english words for n’importe quoi en français !!!
    :sorrow:
    Irayam

18. Reasonable

Reasonable Silver Meritorious Patron

I was about 30 or 31. I know many in my age group who did.

19. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Silver Meritorious Patron

It wasn't hard to find if you looked for it.

I spent two full days at the SF Public library going through the Readers Guide to Periodical Literaure and the stacks and was well familiar with most of the major assaults on Hubbard and the church although one thing which was notably missing was that I found no reference to Parsons or Crowley

Most of the jabs were horsecrap which just didn't match what I saw in the people who were doing it but the accurate criticism did serve as innoculation and I'm not so sure but what I may have significant influence both in SF and DC in trimming back abuses

20. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Birdsong,

I don't think you will find any mention of Crowley in Hubbard's written works.

But I do remember Hubbard saying "My good friend Crowley" in a tape recorded lecture.
    Maybe this was in the PDC lectures?