e meter question

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by lightweight, Jan 6, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. lightweight

lightweight Patron

Im now being asked to sit down with a friend who is a scn and look at an e meter so they can show me how it works exactly and that its scientific and to debunk all the shit ive been reading on the net....im sure they are going to show me all about ta, different reads, etc etc and prove that it works....

What do i do?

2. phenomanon

phenomanon Canyon

Just smile. Tell them that you are not interested. Keep smiling. Do what they say. Keep smiling and repeat as needed: "I am not interested".
    What is the worst thing that could happen?
    This 'friend' of yours is in a bubble. You don't have to climb in there with him.
    Even if the emeter does "work", that doesn't mean that Scn does.
    Anyways, the emeter will read on any thought. Yours, or Another's.
    What a dumb conversation /activity to be having with a friend.
    Do you guys play cards?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

Just sit there and rock slam. If they get pissy, give them high TA and a tic.

4. Mike Holland

Mike Holland Patron

The E-meter is the old psychogalvanometer under a new name. It is certainly not a Scientology invention. The psychogalvanic skin response was first measured in 1888. The meter forms a standard party of a lie detector. Your friend could probably use it to discover your birth date or something by asking you yes-no questions while you held the cans and remained silent. That's about all it is good for - detecting emotional responses.

5. Wedinn

Wedinn New Member

Squeeze the cans to make the dial go wild and scare him away.

6. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

1. PC clears past-life incident of being on the Moon and killed by aliens while eating green cheese.

2. PC has VGIs and e-meter F/N while reporting cognition that the Moon is made of green cheese.

3. PC then goes to examiner in Qual to verify VGIs and e-meter F/N.

4. No correction list would be done because PC has VGIs and e-meter F/N.

5. Is this silly? Well, "what is true for you is true for YOU".

I am being a bit sarcastic about this e-meter stuff.

Some things in current life might actually be true on e-meter.
    Other items could be false.
    How would one determine true or false AND would a Qual examiner even care about it?

7. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

The Pinch Test is generally the first dog and pony show to impress people on the e-meter. Here is a helpful mention of it on Mike Rinder's site. You can find much written about this but it is only the beginning of the e-meter pitch.

I also found this vid on the Stress Test which is probably more like what your friend has in mind. I think the guy conducting the test is kind of bumbling about but you can get the gist of it. In the vid I'm surprised that he talks about the "help button" actually because they usually evoke the help button as an unspoken strategy. "Don't you want to save kids from drugs? Donate to..." "Only we have the spiritual technology and organization to prevent a nuclear war. Join staff." That's stomping on the help button. The "Start, Change, Stop equals Control" spiel is good for establishing agreement or R (Reality). On the surface that seems to make sense but like so many other Hubbardisms they don't hold up under application and they certainly aren't applied in Scientology as represented. Scientology for all it's insight into good control is absolutely terrible at control - unless you consider making people who otherwise would be friendly into enemies good control.

You have to love Scientology application of the ARC (Affinity, Reality, Communication) principle. The pinch and stress tests are as much about building ARC as anything. They start out with no ARC when you walk through the door so the default setting is affinity aka love bombing. They search for points of agreement to establish reality. Now they know what to communicate about and the things they will communicate about are finding your ruin, handling disagreements and making you part with precious time, money and resources... and building lots of points of agreement. In other words they use ARC manipulatively.

When I was on staff it was very common to use mystery sandwiches and other ploys just to get people in the building so they could be regged or recruited or routed onto an ethics action. These kinds of shore stories are written right into mission orders for teams that visit orgs. I suggest at least taking your own car and a friend to get you out of there at a given time or cue. Dollars to donuts the whole affair will get bogged down.
    _____
    https://www.mikerindersblog.org/how-to-slow-boil-a-frog/

(snip)
    THE PINCH TEST: This action is one of my first entry level experiences that makes emeter infallibility credible. This is the first of the Scientological indoctrinations that put the emeter senior to my own ability to think for myself. Then I thought, “wow, the emeter and Ron know things about me that I don’t”. That moment is one of my earliest moments of sacrificing my reasoning powers at the Hubbard shrine of make believe. The pinch test was a key moment for me. Sure, there were times the emeter got it right. But my mind is not a game of Russian Roulette.
    (snip)
    _____

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

ANSWER: Instead of volunteering to participate in a demonstration of how an e-meter works, you can should instead invest a nickel in a demonstration of how a parking meter works. The latter will give you the win of having a place to park. The former will result in the loss of $499,999.95.

REASON: Because the meter demonstration is just the feel-good part of Scientology that comes right before they slam your face into your "ruin" and then stalk and terrorize you for the next 30 years for donations until you are delusional, crazy, bankrupt or all three.

HELPFUL TIP: The "terminal" who is hoping to lure you into the cult will really be happy if you write up an OT success story that appears in Advance! magazine. Scientologists really love when they read about advanced beings who use miraculous superpowers to find parking spaces.

9. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Tell a few good jokes.....the e-meter works and has a 'floating needle' when you are happy.

PS science fiction jokes are a good part of scientology and they both should be laughed at.