What's new

embezzlement in the Sea Org

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
My story is not as scary as Gottabrain's, but I remember an incident where an S.O. member embezzled funds.

I forget the guys name, but it had to be in 1980 when this happened.

His post was something to do with selling books, and he had these phenomenal stats going for months. We would sit around at crew musters hearing all about how great this guy was, and we were suppose to be happy about him making all this bonus money while we all got paid 15 bucks a week, if that.

He was living off the base and doing pretty good. I think he was making around 500 bucks a week or something, which was pretty good money back then. I saw him try to hit on several S.O. women, but as he was short, chubby, and not very attractive, I never saw him have much success.

Then, one day I see a big flap in progress, and hear through the grapevine that this guy had been selling books to people without their permission, using their pre-paid for courses accounts, and not sending the books.

There were hundreds of people who had paid for the SHSBC and other stuff who hadn't showed up yet. Some of them for years, and he was just charging it to their accounts, taking the books out of his inventory, and stashing them. I guess he got busted when someone found a room full of books that couldn't be accounted for.

I was quite surprised to see this guy walking around later not in jail. He didn't even seem to be on the RPF.

Does anyone know more about this? Any old ASHO day crew from the late seventies to early eighties out there?

Last edited:

Cadetification

Patron with Honors
I cannot tell you how often this still happens today. Of course, nowadays SO members don't get comissions (at least where I came from) and usually they do this as they are starving and have gone days without any sleep. :duh:

G

Gottabrain

Hi Rmack!

Great story. Thanks!

Disgusting, isn't it? The corruption is so deep, though. Much deeper than that. There will never be anyone within Scilo to correct it, as the ones that like Scilo the best are the ones that are getting rich off of it on the backs of others.

I had a post as Dir Income for the GO at one time. A weird oddity in the org boarding at the time put the position under AOLA.

I was aware of massive transfers out of the orgs' own reserve accounts by the senior signatories that was supposed to be for "legal expenses".

Thing is, very little of that was actually spent on legal expenses. The bulk was transferred to overseas accounts. We were TOLD years later in an SO briefing that it was stolen by the former ED INT (before Guillaume), but that was never verified.

Wish I knew more, but I was in Income, not Disbursements. A good looking blonde guy named (Martin? Marvin? something like that) GREEN was in Disbursements. Hopefully he'll show up on exscn.net soon. He is certainly an ex-Scilo.

At that time, I was happy to work there. The GO got weekends off! NOBODY else did. I took weekends off until someone tried to change that because I was AOLA crew. Well, eventually, they decided I was a bit too radical for the GO and sent me back to AOLA. I was a real troublemaker there.

Last edited by a moderator:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had a post as Dir Income for the GO at one time. A weird oddity in the org boarding at the time put the position under AOLA.

I was aware of massive transfers out of the orgs' own reserve accounts by the senior signatories that was supposed to be for "legal expenses".

Thing is, very little of that was actually spent on legal expenses. Heaps of it went to the former ED INT. Not Guillaume, the one before him that blew.

Fascinating. I hope we'll hear more some day from someone who knew more.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Hi Rmack!

Great story. Thanks!

Disgusting, isn't it? The corruption is so deep, though. Much deeper than that. There will never be anyone within Scilo to correct it, as the ones that like Scilo the best are the ones that are getting rich off of it on the backs of others.

Thing is, very little of that was actually spent on legal expenses. Heaps of it went to the former ED INT. Not Guillaume, the one before him that blew.

Wish I knew more, but I was in Income, not Disbursements. A good looking blonde guy named (Martin? Marvin? something like that) GREEN was in Disbursements. Hopefully he'll show up on exscn.net soon. He is certainly an ex-Scilo.

At that time, I was happy to work there. The GO got weekends off! NOBODY else did. I took weekends off until someone tried to change that because I was AOLA crew. Well, eventually, they decided I was a bit too radical for the GO and sent me back to AOLA. I was a real troublemaker there.

Can you be more time specific concerning your posts?

I was the ASHO day examiner from maybe 1979 to '80 sometime.

G

Gottabrain

edited to delete personal info

Last edited by a moderator: