Ex Hawaii/Riverside Staff

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pineapple, Jul 14, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. pineapple

pineapple Patron Meritorious

I'm bumping this thread, which I'd forgotten existed. :)

2. Scout

Scout Patron

Thank you Get wolf. I didn't pick it out and not sure how I got it...default avatar

3. pineapple

I'm posting this picture here, as I believe the woman standing two people to the right of Yvonne, with her hand on the guy's shoulder, is none other than Liza Hedin (aka Liza Thomas), who was sort of the "den mother" of the Honolulu Mission staff. She did my OCA eval when I got body-routed in off the street. She was there the whole time I was on staff.

I knew nothing of this episode in her life at the time. She (re-)joined SO about the time I left staff in 1981. Last I heard from her was a letter she sent from Flag. I don't remember if I ever replied to it.

[​IMG]

4. Scout

Scout Patron

I remember Jeff too. By then my feet were out the door.
    Did you ever meet Walter Florian ?

Hear Liza joined sea org? Maybe that was a dream...
    Think John Ruane stayed in Riverside..... Never came back to Hawaii.... He was tight w Kovach and Hamre
    How about Dave Furey? He grew up in New England too.

5. Scout

Scout Patron

Looks like Lisa

Where did the pic come from?

6. Scout

Scout Patron

Sorry...liza

7. pineapple

Yes. Walter was ED and C/S for about my first 6 months there, until the GO (Guardian's Office) took over the mission, about a month after I joined staff. I never knew the reason for the takeover. I saw Walter and his girlfriend Robin leaving the premises with their stuff (did they live there?) but never knew the details. Walter disappeared and was never heard from again. Actually, he was my favorite Hawaii ED.

Liza did indeed join Sea Org, apparently re-joined (that's an old SO uniform in the picture w/Yvonne). She sent me a couple letters from Flag. I still have one of them, I think.

I heard Ruane was off staff driving a truck and got killed in an accident. Didn't you tell me that back in '81 or '82?

Dave Furey I have no idea. He blew staff, went home to New England someplace, came back and got back on staff, then blew again, long before you and I left.

8. pineapple

9. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Aside from appointed short term EDs from Riverside to Honolulu, did any Riverside auditors go to Honolulu?

10. pineapple

Not on a permanent basis. Mary Corydon and Diana Grenier came to Hawaii for a while to do some Life Repairs. At that point, the only classed auditor* on Hawaii staff was Liza Hedin, the woman in the picture with Yvonne Jentzsch, above. Liza was a Cl VI and did the SHSBC at St. Hill in the late 60's (she appears briefly in the film "Scientology: A Faith for Sale," shot there) and HSDC at ASHO circa 1970. Liza was auditing when I first arrived at the mission, but after the GO takeover she did not do any further auditing for a long time. She was a very good auditor, but tended to invalidate her own "tech knowingness" (pardon the sciologism) because she'd been trained so long ago.

There were some other classed auditors on Hawaii staff under the Walter Florian-era, pre-GO takeover regime. There was Gloria Neil, a woman about Liza's age who was actually a Cl VII (Power auditor). She was the only Cl VII I ever met. She left before the GO takeover, while I was still public.

There was Gail Peterson, Cl IV, who was course sup and I believe Tech Sec. @Scout will remember her.

Several staff left very soon after finishing their Academy Levels at Hawaii Org: Jordan Nagasako (Gail's boyfriend) and Peter Alexander (not the guy who made the film "The Profit"). Their contracts ran out and they split for LA along with Gail to do the SHSBC. This was probably in the late Walter Florian period, my earliest days on staff.

Later on, shortly after Bent took over Honolulu Mission, Dennis Wright, who was the E/O at Honolulu Mission, finished his Academy Levels and became the first Hawaii/Riverside OOT (Outer Org Trainee). Missions don't usually have OOT's, but Riverside did. Dennis went to Riverside to get trained as an auditor under Mary. Not long after, we got word that Dennis had blown from Riverside. This came as a big shock, as Dennis always seemed very "on-purpose" and staff blowing was not common prior to that time. (It became VERY common later on.)

When I was in R'side, I happened to see the folder of a pc Dennis had audited. He was running R3R (dianetics), the chain was bogging, and he asked the pc, "What's happening?" I winced when I saw this, since you were NOT supposed to do this in the middle of a chain and I knew Mary would hit the roof. She did. "What is this doing in R3R? R3R is run MUZZLED!" etc., and wrote him a very big cram. So apparently he did not have an easy time of it as an auditor in R'side.

Many Hawaii public went to Riverside to have Life Repair delivered. This sounds crazy -- to put someone on a plane and send them 2500 miles to get something they could get locally -- but I think the reasons were:

0) If we delivered L/R at Honolulu Mission (w/out R'side auditors on site), the Hawaii Org would have to get involved, at least to do the C/Sing, but --

1) Riverside distrusted the Hawaii Org and wanted to have as little involvement with them as possible, fearing they would try to interfere with R'side's management of Honolulu Mission. The Org was a bit suspicious of R'side, too. (This situation improved as time went on.)

2) At the time Honolulu Mission and R'side sold L/R to result for $1500. The org wanted pc's to buy 3 intensives (36 hours), which would have been $1800 (@ $50/hr).

3) R'side thought their tech was better (maybe true).

*A "classed auditor" was an auditor who had a number, e.g. Cl IV, Cl VI, etc. In 1982 the lower part of the Grade Chart got flipped around and Dianetics, which used to come before Grades 0-IV, got moved after them. Prior to 1982, a Dianetic auditor (HSDC or NED) was the lowest level of professional auditor and didn't have a number, so he/she wasn't "classed." Today a NED auditor is a Cl V. Prior to 1982 there was no such thing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 4:11 AM
  11. programmer_guy

When Diana Grenier went to Honolulu did her husband Dave go with her?

(Dave was a Div 6 reg and was one of the 4 staff to talk to me in a meeting when I exited staff to go back to college.)

12. pineapple

Yes. I think it was pretty much just a vacation for him. Seemed like a very quiet guy. Were they South Africans, or something? Or wasn't David from someplace even more exotic, like Sri Lanka (used to be called Ceylon) maybe?

13. programmer_guy

Dave told me that he was from South Africa (I don't know if Diana was from there).

When we formed a music band, at the Riverside Mission, Dave switched from guitar to bass.
    I played lead guitar, Roger Coy played drums, Joe Yazbeck did vocals/singer.
    We would practice in the handball court in the back (that building no longer exists).
    We would play/perform for audience, after hours, in the Comm Course room.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 7:51 AM
  14. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

15. DrXAnon

DrXAnon Patron

Welcome all from thereover! (If I can make up a preposition).

I realize this is a multi-rebump but I read the first page and I saw something that struck me, so just wanna give my two cents, and feel free to ignore me, but I feel convicted to say it regardless:

I advise everyone to be careful about how much fuel and opportunity you give the CoS to free game you. Even if you're not afraid for yourself, if you're networking with others and "catching up" -- which can be great, I'm sure... to see how far you've come since "Remember when..." -- then be careful for their sake too. Sometimes folks become reconnected purposely or inadvertently to the effect of trouble jumping off. It's just a matter of separation by degrees for them to come to collect that freeloader bill, harass, stalk, etc.

Probably OSA knows more about you than you know about yourself anyway -- *tinfoil hat* :D -- so I imagine it's a moot point but anyway... at least for the sake of saying it because I see people do it all the time and I imagine that this is a whole side conversation onto its own so I'll stop since I'm probably diverting the whole point of the thread!

16. pineapple

Point taken. I've been out of scn for over 35 years. They know where I am and they have occasionally contacted me over the years.

I realize you're probably sincere in your advice, but for all we know, YOU could be working for OSA and trying to scare us into keeping quiet. You can see how it could be taken that way, don't you? You just got here and we know nothing about you.

Why don't you go back to "New Member Introductions" and tell you a bit more about yourself and your history with scn?

It's "FAIR game," by the way, not "free game."

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 6:02 AM
  17. DrXAnon

DrXAnon Patron

Ya I know it's FAIR game... but since technology is "special", auto-incorrect had its way with my text :)

I *could* be, but this isn't and hasn't been the tactic of OSA (warning unidentified people on forums) because they have no lives and want all the help they can get in harassing people. It does them no good for forum users to maintain a hermetically sealed facade. They'd rather stalk and harass in the real world because it helps them embezzle tax-free money.

To be fair, for all anyone knows, the whole board could be set up by Scions ;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 8:30 AM
  18. pineapple

Curses! He's onto us! Time for Plan B ...

19. DrXAnon

DrXAnon Patron

20. Moosejewels

Moosejewels Patron Meritorious

When the fond memories manage to surface, it is the people we worked with that are the reason the memories are fond.