What's new

"Flop of Ages" - Tom Cruise has worst opening ever.......

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
:hysterical:

I didn't think the "Let's fuck" was screamed quite loud enough to be Tone 40. But I bet the Planned Parenthood saw a massive upstat 9 months after that was shown.

Wonder how long numbnuts went to RPF for that flap!?

Gadfly

Crusader

I didn't think the "Let's fuck" was screamed quite loud enough to be Tone 40. But I bet the Planned Parenthood saw a massive upstat 9 months after that was shown.

Wonder how long numbnuts went to RPF for that flap!?

Ah, don't you remember your drills with the ashtray on the Upper Indocs?. I had a special relationship with MY ashtray! :thumbsup:

Anyway, it isn't the volume (loudness) of the voice that matters. It is the intention behind the voice. With the movie it was the way Nicole said it, AND the "look in her eyes". How many men out there (and woman) must have fantasized that she was saying those words directly to them! :ohmy:

Last edited:
Nicole is so fine - did you ever see her in Dead Calm? Mimsey

[video=youtube;Nx-v1fTm9Ug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx-v1fTm9Ug&feature=related[/video]

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Ah, don't you remember your drills with the ashtray on the Upper Indocs?. I had a special relationship with MY ashtray! :thumbsup:

Anyway, it isn't the volume (loudness) of the voice that matters. It is the intention behind the voice. With the movie it was the way Nicole said it, AND the "look in her eyes". How many men out there (and woman) must have fantasized that she was saying those words directly to them! :ohmy:

I bailed before the upper indocs, but I can see your point. If I were a male ashtray, I probably would have levitated for that.

Gadfly

Crusader
I bailed before the upper indocs, but I can see your point. If I were a male ashtray, I probably would have levitated for that.

Yeah, me too!!!!!

More "vintage Nicole":

[video=youtube;U5f3hmIr-hg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5f3hmIr-hg&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
You've not seen 4th of July or Magnolia, then?
I have seen both. His performance in both was good, but not brilliant. IMHO 4th of July was his best performance after Collateral, then maybe the Color of Money (which I quite enjoy).

To pick a few actors: Many films that Chris Cooper, Meryl Streep and Matt Damon I have enjoyed specifically because of their mastery of the craft above and beyond even the subject matter of the film. Individual scenes, ways of delivering the most innocuous of lines, remain with me to this day.

With TC, I remember no such moments. Perhaps I should revisit some of his older films. I don't think it is a prejudice against him, though, because I quite liked him as an actor for a long time, and I eagerly watched his latest movies when they came out, waiting for that movie where he came of age as an actor. I'm still waiting.

I concede he is a proficient, professional experienced actor but he has clear limitations. He has never received a major award except from David Miscavige despite the fact that he can fund and greenlight any film he wants. There is a reason for this.

They can have her.

I think my favorite TC movie is A few Good men - this a fuzzy copy - but it brings back many wonderful moments. mimsey

[video=youtube;mWcXPpa3nHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWcXPpa3nHU[/video]

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

From my experience, he is a terrific commercial actor, but only in the right film, because of his limited range of emotions, although the few he does possess can be high volume. Nobody would cast him in a serious movie like the Godfather or Raging Bull that demanded an actor that the audience finds truly believable.

I never considered him in a league with the true master actors who deliver brilliantly nuanced performances with rich sub-text. He doesn't have anything even approaching those kind of acting skills.

That's why I place him firmly in the category of "pop entertainment", some of which is truly entertaining (Risky Business....etc.). As they say in the business, he is always playing Tom Cruise in every movie. He never becomes someone else like Robert Deniro (Godfather, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Deerhunter, Taxi Driver, etc....) or Meryl Streep (Sophies Choice, Manhattan, Bridges of Madison County, Kramer vs Kramer, etc...) These rare kind of performers are unqualified geniuses.

But, there are other actors who can deliver at the "pop entertainment" level and ALSO turn in a profoundly memorable performance. The inestimably talented and intelligent actors George Clooney or Matt Damon are infinitely more believable in every role.

If i saw a new Tom Cruise movie in theaters, I would instantly wait until it was on DVD, if I even wanted to see it at all. These days, knowing what i know about his cult endorsements, I can hardly watch him at all without being reminded of who he is in real life.

On the other hand, there are certain directors/actors who I actually love to watch and look forward to greatly. When they perform, I am lost in the belief that it is really happening. That is the most delicately delicious movie experience I can imagine!

It all has its place in the wonderfully collaborative art form known as movies.

Gadfly

Crusader

From my experience, he is a terrific commercial actor, but only in the right film, because of his limited range of emotions, although the few he does possess can be high volume. Nobody would cast him in a serious movie like the Godfather or Raging Bull that demanded an actor that the audience finds truly believable.

I never considered him in a league with the true master actors who deliver brilliantly nuanced performances with rich sub-text. He doesn't have anything even approaching those kind of acting skills.

That's why I place him firmly in the category of "pop entertainment", some of which is truly entertaining (Risky Business....etc.). As they say in the business, he is always playing Tom Cruise in every movie. He never becomes someone else like Robert Deniro (Godfather, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Deerhunter, Taxi Driver, etc....) or Meryl Streep (Sophies Choice, Manhattan, Bridges of Madison County, Kramer vs Kramer, etc...) These rare kind of performers are unqualified geniuses.

But, there are other actors who can deliver at the "pop entertainment" level and ALSO turn in a profoundly memorable performance. The inestimably talented and intelligent actors George Clooney or Matt Damon are infinitely more believable in every role.

If i saw a new Tom Cruise movie in theaters, I would instantly wait until it was on DVD, if I even wanted to see it at all. These days, knowing what i know about his cult endorsements, I can hardly watch him at all without being reminded of who he is in real life.

On the other hand, there are certain directors/actors who I actually love to watch and look forward to greatly. When they perform, I am lost in the belief that it is really happening. That is the most delicately delicious movie experience I can imagine!

Cruise reminds of of Steven Seagal - he always plays himself. Plus, Cruise tries to make up for his general lack of depth and emotion with "hard work" - and granted, he works VERY hard. But, the desire to be "great" cannot make someone great. :confused2:

With Cruise, often I feel like I am watching someone "acting".

Whereas someone like Edward Norton can go from one character to another, like a chameleon, and be TOTALLY believable. :yes:

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
My wife and I went to see "Rock of Ages" this last Sunday.
We enjoyed it. Tom's scientology connection aside, it's a fun movie/musical.
It's a bit goofy, but so was 1987's music scene. And it wasn't all about Tom either.
Good entertainment, good feelings during and after.

Not yet. But, how can it not be great entertainment with Ridley Scott at the helm?

Without revealing any plot, whadya think of it?
HH, I liked it a lot and the next day found my self thinking about the ending and how satisfying it was. I thought that Noomi and Michael Fassbender were wonderful - one was as inspiring as the other was creepy. I just wish Charlize had more to do in the film. I liked Idris a lot in the Big C last year, and he didn't disappoint here. All of Ridley's films are very visual vista's and this film never disappoints - yea, he hit it out of the park. Mimsey

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Cruise reminds of of Steven Seagal - he always plays himself. Plus, Cruise tries to make up for his general lack of depth and emotion with "hard work" - and granted, he works VERY hard. But, the desire to be "great" cannot make someone great. :confused2:

Whereas someone like Edward Norton can go from one character to another, like a chameleon, and be TOTALLY believable. :yes:

Ahhhh yes! Edward Norton! Truly extraordinary. I am instantly reminded of his inspired performances in American History X, Rounders, Fight Club and Primal Fear.

Casting movies is such a precious art, can you imagine Tom Cruise in Primal Fear? OMG.

[video=youtube;XyGbtYaVcaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGbtYaVcaA[/video]

humm. I know what you mean Gadfly, but in Collateral, Magnolia and Tropic Thunder he looses his Tom Cruiseness. That is my bitch with Nicholson, other than A Few Good Men, and As Good as it Gets and Five Easy Pieces he just plays himself. Though sometimes when he plays himself it can be a trip - Like the Witches of Eastwick.

Mimsey

[video=youtube;ADxFPQZAlJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADxFPQZAlJw[/video]

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron

He'll go down as one of the oddest stories in Hollywood. To me he's kind of like Spielberg in that he knows or knew how to generate the numbers but that's really the only talent. I will give him that he knows how to carry a "blockbuster" type movie. Many people simple can't do that and he definitely can but his cult addiction will make his career a tragedy if he never fixes that, and I think that's beyond mind-blowing.

It's just hard to put in words watching this guy with such arrogance and certainty and to know that he's just completely picked the wrong horse. Tom Cruise's involvement in Scientology will be regarded as a world class act of stupidity. I mean a lot of us here took the bait for a while but for many of us it didn't take that many warning bells to know something was wrong and at least knew we had to get away even though we didn't know exactly what was going on.

For him on the other hand he has legal teams and PR teams who no doubt monitor all of these developments and probably know exactly what's going on, and we know he's heard the allegations about DM but refuses to believe them. I mean it's a level of stupidity so unbelievable it's like watching somebody put a man on the moon with a pogo stick, you just can't believe it. And the same for Travolta as well. How can these guys not know or be told by their people????????

Sadly for Cruise I think it's Scientology that will prevent him from ever becoming truly human - although I think he had issues with that to begin with - and that will always taint his performances. And it's Scientology that will make him a laughing stock despite his incredible success. I can only guess that these people must just get themselves so painted into a corner that they just can't get out. I hope they prove me wrong. If they weren't so rich and arrogant I'd feel sorry for them.

Gadfly

Crusader
Ahhhh yes! Edward Norton! Truly extraordinary. I am instantly reminded of his inspired performances in American History X, Rounders, Fight Club and Primal Fear.

Casting movies is such a precious art, can you imagine Tom Cruise in Primal Fear? OMG.

[video=youtube;XyGbtYaVcaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGbtYaVcaA[/video]

Nope, couldn't imagine Cruise in Norton's roles.

Of course HH, you posted a movie clip from what was Nortons's AMAZING dual-personality role in Primal Fear. When my brother visited last year I rented a few Norton movies. He was blown away by Primal Fear. I just love that finall scene where he let's the cat out of the bag! :thumbsup:

And then, Norton tackled the dual role thing again in "The Score", and did a great job!

He is not a big or "tough guy" at all, but with his superb acting ability, he can play "bad guys" so very well. But even more, like in "The Score", he plays the part of a "manipulative scheming thieve", who then plays the part of a somewhat "mentally-challenged, disabled and innocent fellow". :clap: