What's new

For you old LSD-cases ;)

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
I would say that there is the danger that a person will have "a bad trip", and it CAN be deeply psychologically damaging if you become extremely anxious, or paranoid, and never transcend it.

As Timothy Leary put it, it's about set and setting. Your psychological set contributes greatly to whether you'll have a good time or not. It should always be taken seriously, and understood that it is a risk. After the first few times, once a person knows what's happening and how it goes and what to do, or not do, they should be fine. That first time is where the danger lies. I won't deny the danger is there. I'm just glad I was a person who was not negatively impacted. I had some bad times, but nothing that hung with me and hurt me. It's very much a "rite of passage", and some people do not make it through safely.

Consider yourself lucky if you've never taken a hit of bad acid. First time, 100th time, doesn't matter; a bad batch will screw you over royally.

:screwy:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I would say that there is the danger that a person will have "a bad trip", and it CAN be deeply psychologically damaging if you become extremely anxious, or paranoid, and never transcend it.

As Timothy Leary put it, it's about set and setting. Your psychological set contributes greatly to whether you'll have a good time or not. It should always be taken seriously, and understood that it is a risk. After the first few times, once a person knows what's happening and how it goes and what to do, or not do, they should be fine. That first time is where the danger lies. I won't deny the danger is there. I'm just glad I was a person who was not negatively impacted. I had some bad times, but nothing that hung with me and hurt me. It's very much a "rite of passage", and some people do not make it through safely.

I agree. Fortunately for me, my first trip was like, really far out man, cosmic even. The next one was a nightmare on steroids, but it didn't have any lasting effect (that I know of) and it didn't deter me from doing more acid the following week-end.

LSD seemed to undergo a bit of a resurgence in the 80's here, but I didn't partake in any of it. My tripping took place in the 60's when a 1,000 mg blotting-paper acid trip lasted about 14 hours. Ah, those were the days. :)

As a matter of fact, once I discovered them, I preferred shrooms to LSD. A smoother high and less likely to give one a negative trip in my experience.

JustSheila

Crusader
Well, I'd be very interested in the set and setting of his trip. Of course, as with any other sort of experience, if you have it under extreme stress, it could really bugger you. All I can say for sure is that for me, it's nothing but an enjoyable experience now, but I wouldn't take it at a funeral or after my girlfriend left me. I go outside, either skiing, or surfing, or to a campfire, etc. As I said though, I don't necessarily recommend it for others. I don't know what their real set and setting are.

Nothing unusual that day and no known stress in his life. He was out with a group of friends, they all took the same amount of the same stuff that night. It was quite a shock. Needless to say, nobody in that group took another acid hit afterward.

You say 'set' and 'setting' and put emphasis on stress without any confirmation of anyone who went insane due to taking it under 'stress' because you have this mindset that mental illness as a result of a poisonous, hallucinogenic chemical one ingests would be caused by stress rather than a physical reaction to the poison. That makes no sense at all. In the case of LSD, I emphatically disagree. Going insane by brain or other damage caused by the chemical is not the same as a 'bad trip' and I'm disappointed to see you referring to them as the same thing with the same 'stress' cause. Though I think stress would be a factor, people have different limits to toxins, allergens, etc.

Since there are no tests available to find out what amounts of a toxic illegal chemical would produce permanent damage in each individual's chemistry, having an adverse reaction and how extreme that reaction might be is a dice role. We are talking about the interaction of the drug in the brain with the person's hereditary genetics combined with hormones and other physical factors.

Your physical makeup is not the same as everyone else's. It would be foolish for anyone to believe that because one person didn't have a reaction, that they wouldn't. And as others have pointed out, you don't know exactly what you're getting, either.