What's new

FOX mocking sec-check questions

Veda

Sponsor
I have never heard any Brit pronounce it "thee-tin".
Correct or not - it just sounds silly. :)

Thee-tin defeats the purpose of Hubbard's Parsons-era inside joke, of Thay-tan, rhymes with guess who...

Thetan (thay-tan) came first, then theta and theta being, but it is presented as theta being first and thetan, "Theta to the Nth degree" (?, aw, c'mon) coming later.

Hubbard tricked his followers into calling themselves satans (with a lisp), but the British screwed it up by pronouncing it "Thee-tan."

Then things really became awkward as Hubbard lectured in England, using the word, "processing," pronounced as "praah-sessing," instead of the correct "pro-sessing."

Oh well, the best laid plans for sardonic inside jokes don't always work out...

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thee-tin defeats the purpose of Hubbard's Parsons-era inside joke, of Thay-tan, rhymes with guess who...

Thetan (thay-tan) came first, then theta and theta being, but it is presented as theta being first and thetan, "Theta to the Nth degree" (?, aw, c'mon) coming later.

Hubbard tricked his followers into calling themselves satans (with a lisp), but the British screwed it up by pronouncing it "Thee-tan."

Then things really became awkward as Hubbard lectured in England, using the word, "processing," pronounced as "praah-sessing," instead of the correct "pro-sessing."

Oh well, the best laid plans for sardonic inside jokes don't always work out...

Geez Veda, I've never heard that one! :omg:

Veda

Sponsor
Geez Veda, I've never heard that one! :omg:

It's not terribly important, but check out the history of "theta" as "the eighth letter of the Greek alphabet, meaning spirit." You'll find it useful to consult older texts, as the definition on the Internet often now includes Scientology's "theta means spirit," etc. (slipped in) - and "theta" does have many meanings, and one - traditionally - could be called "spirit," but also "death," etc. So, it's not as though the use of "theta" as "thought or spirit" is a total misrepresentation. It's just one of these odd details which probably is better ignored, and I would ignore it, except I do have some "inside historic info" on the pre-1950s period, and "thetan" is a dark-joke term. Kind of like the OT levels (OTO), or "Golden Era Studios" (The Golden Dawn), the "S with the double triangle, or KRC over ARC" (the Snake "S", and "love is the law; love under will"), etc. But it's almost too strange to dwell on it, but occasionally...

It's kind of odd watching Scientologists calling themselves "thetans," and never realizing that this most intimate term for themselves as souls is another Hubbardian grim joke on them.

Perhaps it's better not mentioned. Probably just upsets people. And, by the way, I'm not a Christian, and own most of Aleister Crowley's books, so it's not a big deal for me - except that I've no interest in being defined by 'L. Ron the trickster'. I prefer, "spirit," or some other term.

It's not the sort if thing I'd wish to spend time arguing about, in any event.

So all you thetans out there, don't be concerned.

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I never heard any one say Thee-tin for thetan or Theeta for theta.

How do brits pronounce "satan"?

Of course people don't sit around the in the Sea Org talking about their case, or committing verbal tech. I am quite sure Hubbard said "THAYTAN" on tapes, but it is sometimes funny the proununciations you can get in your own mind from just reading and not hearing a word.

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Amazing

Truth now travels planet wide instantaneously. You Tube can be shared with friends around the globe in moments. The good stuff gets around, fast. Whole track sec check questions being openly mocked on FOX is another milestone for the DM led CofS. Scientology is getting quite a name for itself, lately. UFO cult, bunch of nutters, funny though, when I ran that list I remember getting off quite a bit of charge...hmmm....:whistling:

Something very subtle but very deadly is happening here. More and more Scientology is being held up to ridicule in the manner of the internet chat room and the mindset of a 21st century approach, which is bloodthirsty and derisive.

I think this is the general overall approach Fox News takes to any subject in general. While I can appreciate a little public mockery of a group who takes themselves way too seriously, I just wish there was much more legitimate exposure on much more respected news programs on other networks.