What's new

Free Speech on ESMB

M

Moderator 3

My post was a joke. The "torture methods" that I suggested are presented in Hubbard's book, A History of Man. As you might know, it is not about torturing human beings, it is all about the torture of spirits (thetans). I was hoping for humorous responses from the audience. I suspect that a mod didn't like the post's title and removed the post without reading it.

Suspect whatever you want but you'd still be wrong. I read the whole thing. Maybe you didn't read the suggestions made by others in the ensuing posts on that thread. (?)
Whatever, it's case-closed on that one, let's move on.

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
Suspect whatever you want but you'd still be wrong. I read the whole thing. Maybe you didn't read the suggestions made by others in the ensuing posts on that thread. (?) Whatever, it's case-closed on that one, let's move on.
That was some time ago, I do not remember the exact words that I used in that post. Approximately, I wrote the following, "What kind of torture would you use on LRH? I would like to use the methods that he described in his book, A History of Man. The post was removed before I had a chance to look at the responses.

M

Moderator 3

That was some time ago, I do not remember the exact words that I used in that post. Approximately, I wrote the following, "What kind of torture would you use on LRH? I would like to use the methods that he described in his book, A History of Man. The post was removed before I had a chance to look at the responses.

Rule 6. Respect the moderators.

Moderation is a thankless task. You can't please all the people all the time but the moderators will do their best to be fair to everyone.

If you disagree with a decision a moderator has made please don't make a huge scene on the board. PM or email the moderator in question and put your case forward. Usually disputes can be resolved amicably by doing this. If you are still unhappy with the outcome, email or PM the board administrator who will have the final say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
We certainly have free speech on ESMB.

But to what extent do we tolerate free inquiry?

Perhaps we are a little lacking in this.

If we have free speech, then how can we also not have free inquiry?

Anyone can say what they want here. But when it comes to what areas are open for one to discuss, those are liited to certain paradigms.

For example: if I say something condemning Hubbard as a fraud, a maniac, a con man etc, this will be taken up with an interesting discussion.

But if I say that I had gains from Scientology and I helped others using the Tech, this line of inquiry would be met with hostility and certainly not any willingness to even consider the possibility of this being true, even if it was my experience.
<snip>
This complaint comes up from time to time here on ESMB and I don't agree with it.

Yes, it is true that any posting that could remotely be considered positive about Hubbard or Scientology is often attacked by a few people. But that is not representative of the general tone of ESMB responses. Why paint ESMB with the broad brush based on a few responses?

Disagreeing with a positive statement about Scientology or responding with negative information does not constitute "intolerance". Disagreement and discussion is what forums such as ESMB are for.

In general, people who recount some positive experiences in Scientology are met with tolerance but often with, as was said before, clear warnings that Scientology is not all "good experiences" but is, in fact, quite harmful. That also is not intolerance but merely good intentions for the safety of others.

And last, if you, or anyone, wants to write about how wonderful Scientology or Hubbard is, it would be best not to declare this testimonial in front of those who have, some of them, been quite damaged by Scientology. It won't be well received. That also is not intolerance. It would be your bad choice of forum for that message.

Bill

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
This complaint comes up from time to time here on ESMB and I don't agree with it.

Yes, it is true that any posting that could remotely be considered positive about Hubbard or Scientology is often attacked by a few people. But that is not representative of the general tone of ESMB responses. Why paint ESMB with the broad brush based on a few responses?

Disagreeing with a positive statement about Scientology or responding with negative information does not constitute "intolerance". Disagreement and discussion is what forums such as ESMB are for.

In general, people who recount some positive experiences in Scientology are met with tolerance but often with, as was said before, clear warnings that Scientology is not all "good experiences" but is, in fact, quite harmful. That also is not intolerance but merely good intentions for the safety of others.

And last, if you, or anyone, wants to write about how wonderful Scientology or Hubbard is, it would be best not to declare this testimonial in front of those who have, some of them, been quite damaged by Scientology. It won't be well received. That also is not intolerance. It would be your bad choice of forum for that message.

Bill

I tend to enjoy a lot of your posts criticizing Scn theories, etc. But I will say this re some others:

In the past I've been slammed and excoriated by a few here and on OCMB for being perceived as not having the right stance on this Scio stuff. On OCMB when I attempted to be relatively pacific, stating that I'd not post wins or testimonials cuz it's not appropriate on a critical forum, I got slammed FOR THAT. And here, I had a cpl ppl - one currently suspended and a cpl no longer with us accusing me of so many odd odd things.

So this lead me to one inescapable conclusion:

There are different motives and positions amongst antitekkies, not just one.

There are critical exes like you or TAJ or even some never been in ones are like that, who want to do exactly what they say they want- to say how they feel and what they observed. Straightforward, honest, fair albeit blunt, occasionally harsh but decent ppl who just want to discuss it.

There are also people who are looking for someone at whom to vent their spleen, and who are looking to blame someone for their pain, even if they have to lie and misrepresent. These sorts have no truck with freedom of viewpoint or speech and behave much like an RTC staffer on a rampage with a junior or at a lower Org while on a mission.

You actually mean what you say and aren't looking to get a scapegoat. Can't say the same for les autres.

What gets me about free speech is this:

If I talk dirty to a woman, that's sexual harassment.

But when a woman talks dirty to me, that's $6.99 a minute.

Seriously though, I think there is a whole sub-culture of Scientology that involves exes.

Exes seem to grow and learn, and consider and reconsider while discussing things on message boards.

Some people do their thinking out-loud in their posts (so to speak) which itself sometimes causes frictions with exes who have already worked it through in their minds already.

I think we've got a really good thing here and that for most people the board is a catalyst for different stages of their catharsis of Scientology.

We're not all at the same point in our catharsis and that sometimes causes friction.

The Anabaptist Jacques

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Some people go into Scientology, sign a billion-year contract, and dedicate their lives to putting ethics in on the planet.

As a 15-year member of public myself, I always thought this was a very extreme thing to do and I never fully understood why anyone would do it.

Now, when I look at the ex-Scientologist community I see some people who are at the opposite end of the spectrum - applying an equivalent amount of steely determination to jump on anyone who expresses any positive opinion about the tech and to smash Scientology out of existence.

Again, this is an extreme viewpoint.

In between these extremes are various shades of grey.

Therefore, in my opinion it isn't possible to have everyone on this forum being "reasonable" and being willing to debate issues sensibly, for the simple reason that some people are wired to be more extreme than others.