What's new

Granny goes back to school

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
A few months ago I wrote a post to ars:

Why I love the internet

If it wasn't for the internet:

David Miscaviage wouldn't have announced the launch of the Scientology & Dianetics web sites on the internet to "wipe out the SP's presence". I didn't even know what the internet was at that time. Later that week I went to an internet cafe and learnt how to log onto a site. I only looked at Scientology.org and Dianetics.org but it was a start.

I wouldn't have noticed the PTS declare on Mike Balint on the Melbourne Org's noticeboard. He was in big trouble for being "involved" with SP activity on the internet. I became curious about what all the fuss was about.

I wouldn't have had to deal with Div 6 PCs being blown off because they read entheta on the net. I had to listen to some of the claims being made on the net from these individuals.I didn't believe any of it at the time but it did concern me.

I wouldn't have noticed DSA Mary Anderson talking about the "hate site" Operation Clambake before muster one morning.

I wouldn't have gone out and bought a very cheap, very old PC with a modem and asked a fellow Scientologist to hook me up to the internet so I could learn about this new thing everyone was talking about. Truthfully, I wanted to search for recipes, but in the back of my mind I knew one day I'd be tempted to look for info on Scientology.

I wouldn't have had anywhere to look for information when the situation at my Org grew so intolerable that I thought I was going crazy and knew there was something very wrong.

I couldn't have typed the word "scientology" into a search engine and found the information I needed to shatter my illusion.

I wouldn't ever have known the truth about Hubbard, his lies and his evil creation.

I would never have known I was involved in a cult. And I would not have had the courage to leave.

I would never have read stories from hundreds of other people who were just like me who had escaped the mental trap and were living happier lives.

I would never have realised I wasn't alone.

I would never have made lifelong friends who understood what I had gone through and where I had to go.

I wouldn't have had anyone to ask questions of, anyone to challenge my beliefs or anyone to point me to documented evidence that showed me what a fool I'd been and what sort of a trap my "friends" were still in.

I would not have had the courage to get a wog job and start my life over.

I would not have stopped my husband from putting my daughter into a Scientology school. She now attends a great school, has lots of friends and is learning about all different types of religions and beliefs.

I would not have realised that my marriage was based on a phoney "religion" and that once you took the indoctrination away, nothing was left. I am now free of that.

I would not have had access to thousands of pages of information about education, help for single parents, university courses and jobs.

I would not have a sane, unidoctrinated child, a good job, a nice car, live in a lovely apartment, have nice furniture and own a dog. I would never have had the time to walk a dog.

I would not have been able to afford trips to the dentist, optometrist or family doctor for me or my daughter. I now have properly prescribed glasses and no more tooth aches.

I would not be enrolling in a diploma course (starting in February) at a highly respected university to study a subject I love - DIPLOMA OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (WEB DESIGN AND MULTIMEDIA)

I can say without a second's hesitation that the internet saved my life.

Thankyou to every single person who owns or hosts a site, told their story or posts to newsgroups and messageboards.

As Dr Touretzky likes to say:

"No wonder Scientology HATES the internet".

- Emma

Well today was orientation day at my new school.

I was surrounded by pimply faced 17 & 18 year olds with "attitude". I felt about 100 years old.

Then I met two other women. Both in their 30s, both with kids, both trying to improve their lives. I felt much better.

The course is EXACTLY what I wanted. The dept head went over a lot of the content today and I was just more & more delighted.

I'm excited about my future again. I can't wait to get my teeth into this stuff.

Romuva

Patron Meritorious
Emma,I know what that's like.I have gone back to community college and
was in classes with parents.I got to be friends with alot of them.Alot
of the younger people at first don't know what to make of the older people
but gradually there is alot of respect that develops.Least from my experience.

the instructors also like the fact if they have parents and working people
in their classes.I think it inspires them to do a better job alot of the time
and students get more out of the class.

Free2Dream

Patron with Honors
How wonderful this must be for you, Emma! I'm so happy for you! I understand how you feel about being surrounded by so many young people. It felt really strange for me, too. It didn't take long for me to not only find people closer to my own age, but to fit in with the younger crowd, too. In fact, I think it helped me "stay young"! It's been a blast for me and I know it will be for you, too!

Hooray for the Internet and HOORAY for education and doing what you LOVE!

Go show 'em, girl!

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Emma said:
I'm excited about my future again.

That is one of the feelings I had when I blew the mission and reentered college.

Emma said:
I can't wait to get my teeth into this stuff.

By the existence of this message board, it looks like you ALREADY have got your teeth into this stuff.

Have fun,
Larry

Kilia

Patron with Honors
Emma, that is wonderful news! I'm a retired web designer myself.

Please keep us informed of your progress, ok?:)

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Thanks everyone.

I officially start tomorrow. But as luck would have it, I have no classes Monday :D

Loving this student life :)

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hey Whatever,

I'm 38 and didn't know until about a year ago what I truly wanted to do. You can't force these things.

School is great so far. I'm really enjoying it.

It will most likely send me broke doing this, but I figure "what the hell". I might as well be broke doing something I like as opposed to doing something I hate and blowing my money on vices trying to find satisfaction elseware.

Hi Fluff - I will catch up with you soon :)

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
38 might not seem old to you PG, but when you are surrounded by teenagers who look at you like you belong in a museum, it's kind of bad for the ego :melodramatic:

I hope I kick their skinny little asses in the exams....but I might be dreaming about that. Their generation was raised on the net.

jodie

Patron with Honors
38 might not seem old to you PG, but when you are surrounded by teenagers who look at you like you belong in a museum, it's kind of bad for the ego :melodramatic:

I hope I kick their skinny little asses in the exams....but I might be dreaming about that. Their generation was raised on the net.

:D

Realised I have not as yet cheered and applauded you for doing this. It is incredibly empowering to go back to school, and achieve this, rug-rats notwithstanding. Never mind the rug-rats - this one is for YOU!!!

You go girl!!!!!!!! :)

- jodie