What's new

Greetings from Newbie

ExSCNspouse

Salutations! I am not an Ex Scientologist, but my spouse of 20+ years is. Even now, there are scars and a few open wounds, in my opinion. From what I've read so far, this is normal. Thanks for the discussions that help me understand her situation and experiences better. I'm a neuroscientist, and need to better understand how the brain chemistry translates to behavior/response in light of duress, subliminal suggestion, and criminal abuse.

I have an old e-meter, and enjoy hooking it up to my turnip plants just to see if they have overts on me. I know it's squirrel tech, but the squirrels around here do like the turnips.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Salutations! I am not an Ex Scientologist, but my spouse of 20+ years is. Even now, there are scars and a few open wounds, in my opinion. From what I've read so far, this is normal. Thanks for the discussions that help me understand her situation and experiences better. I'm a neuroscientist, and need to better understand how the brain chemistry translates to behavior/response in light of duress, subliminal suggestion, and criminal abuse.

I have an old e-meter, and enjoy hooking it up to my turnip plants just to see if they have overts on me. I know it's squirrel tech, but the squirrels around here do like the turnips.

Welcome. :)

I don't know if you're serious about metering the turnips. On the off-chance that you are, did you observe anything of interest? The couple of times I hooked up a plant or tree I saw nothing of interest except a high TA and negligible needle movement, but my methodology probably sucked.

Paul

TrevAnon

Big List researcher

Lots of people speaking out about their experiences. See my sig for those who do so with their real name. Including all kinds of links to video, audio, blogs and whatnot.

I guess you know the picture of LRH auditing a poor tomato? http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/02/scientology-mythbusting-with-jon-atack-the-tomato-photo/

And welcome!

JustSheila

Crusader

I don't know if you're serious about metering the turnips. On the off-chance that you are, did you observe anything of interest? The couple of times I hooked up a plant or tree I saw nothing of interest except a high TA and negligible needle movement, but my methodology probably sucked.

Paul

Greetings to the Newb! :welcome2:

Thanks, Paul. I did some intro science experiments on plants many years ago (not using a meter) and fruits were by far the least responsive, at least not by direct contact. Plants just aren't made that way, I guess. The branches and leaves certainly responded to music and light and even touch. I wouldn't be surprised if they responded to being cut, either, as this is where the nutrition is received and relayed, but all that seemed to go into the fruit was nutrition. It never seemed to have any particular sensation. Why would it? Plants regenerate by dropping their fruits, so a fruit being picked is a GOOD thing. I always thought that Hubbard's claim that tomatoes "screamed when cut" or even responded to it was complete BS.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I put everything around me on the cans; tomatoes growing in the garden, the datshound, the basset hound and especially the CAT

....I pull those o/w's daily to keep my environment squeaky clean.

Thanks LRH - for your kooky tech.:wink2:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks, Paul. I did some intro science experiments on plants many years ago (not using a meter) and fruits were by far the least responsive, at least not by direct contact. Plants just aren't made that way, I guess.

Cleve Backster (famous lie-detector guy) did some interesting research in the area, Sheila. But I don't want to hijack this new-member thread over it.

Paul

JustSheila

Crusader

Cleve Backster (famous lie-detector guy) did some interesting research in the area, Sheila. But I don't want to hijack this new-member thread over it.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. It is on-topic. ExSCNspouse mentions he/she hooks up his/her turnip plants to an e-meter.

I just did a quick search of Cleve Backster's experiments. He did not mention fruits responding. He did his experiments on plant leaves. All the more reason to debunk L Ron's wild statements about tomatoes.

It's a misnomer to call a plant response a "feeling" though, or even to call it pain. They don't have the same sort of neurological setup as animals. It takes a brain of some sort to experience actual pain the way we do, which is one reason why Cleve Backster's hypothesis of plants feeling pain were debunked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleve_Backster https://www.painscience.com/articles/pain-is-weird.php

The leaves are responsive, though. Backster called plants telepathic, too. They respond to changes in temperature and probably a lot of other things, but calling that telepathic is a huge stretch and even Backster couldn't repeat the results of his experiments.

Controlled experiments that have attempted to replicate Backster's findings have failed.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP] and the theory was not accepted since it did not follow the scientific method.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP] At the 141st annual meeting of American Association for the Advancement of Science, the panel of biologists found the claim unsupportable. The results seemed to be spontaneous; repeatability is still a problem, for him and the people who tried to perform his experiment. His lack of control experiments were criticized and explanations, such as that the polygraphs were responding to static electricity build-up and humidity changes, were put forward. The reliability of the polygraph test itself has been questioned.[SUP][10][/SUP] Plants have cellulose cell walls but do not possess sensory organs, which rules out the possibility of plants having ESP or consciousness.[SUP][3][/SUP]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleve_Backster

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

:welcome: To the board! I have a fascination with brain sciences, neuro-plasticity and the electro-chemical mechanisms involved are pretty awesome, but way out of my league. Good to have ya aboard, I'm sure you'll meet some fine folks here too1

All the Best,

Ogs

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish

Paul

You might try having the tomato watch some TV, game shows should get some TA... Or actual tits & ass:yes:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

I'm on the mailing list of Ruth Buczynski who works to incorporate brain science into her practice as a psychologist plus she offers educational services for other Psych's as well. Check this out:

http://www.nicabm.com/brainscience/info/?del=8.22.16BrainScienceSalesEmail1

She may be able to direct you to the information you are searching for.

This is her signature from the email with some links:

Ruth M. Buczynski, PhDPresident and Licensed Psychologist
The National Institute for the Clinical
Application of Behavioral Medicine
http://www.nicabm.com

Follow us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/NICABM

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/RuthBuczynski

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The leaves are responsive, though. Backster called plants telepathic, too. They respond to changes in temperature and probably a lot of other things, but calling that telepathic is a huge stretch and even Backster couldn't repeat the results of his experiments.

I bought a copy of his Primary Perception book around 2004, but I don't still have it. He details the extreme difficulty of removing the experimenter's intentions from the experiments, and found the only way to do it was to automate the whole procedure so that even the (carefully remote by miles) experimenter did not know the exact time crucial parts of the experiment (like causing death to some of the [tiny] creatures) would occur. He said sloppy attempts to replicate without such automation did and would fail.

Paul

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
<Insult deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
I bought a copy of his Primary Perception book around 2004, but I don't still have it. He details the extreme difficulty of removing the experimenter's intentions from the experiments, and found the only way to do it was to automate the whole procedure so that even the (carefully remote by miles) experimenter did not know the exact time crucial parts of the experiment (like causing death to some of the [tiny] creatures) would occur. He said sloppy attempts to replicate without such automation did and would fail.

Paul

Iactuallygo tit

STOP VIEWING PEOPLE AS EXPERIMENTS

M

Moderator 3375

You can ignore Cat Daddy's posts, he won't be answering.
Mod 3375

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

Hello and welcome!

Glad that reading here may help you to understand your spouse past experiences with the cult.
However, my personnal opinion is that there are so deep and refined methods of indoctrination \mind manipulation used in the cult, especially in the Sea Org,
(emotional, psychological, physical, spiritual abuses ) often, when people leave , they are suffering from a trauma going on for years...
But the weird thing is that till there is no de-conditionning...there is a lot of these abusive harmfull evil stuff that we don't identify as being what it is...a lot of dissonance cognitive involved.

Many of us are out for few decades and AFAIMC , can't understand how I was slowly brought to do and believe things I did..also..although, the fear of disconnection is obvious (for not leaving when abuses begins), but other issues like working and be treated as slaves, for decades, are not easy to understand.. I don't think it's only the fear of loosing our eternity. There is probably a brain alteration.

The magnitude of tress, pressure, fear, sleep deprive, despair are certainly impacting the glandular system (adrenaline - cortisol) and the brain chemicals that will shape our behavior or make us vulnerable to any behavioral conditionning.

It's probably the same processes involved in slave labour camps and totalitarian prisons :confused2:
Hopefuly, in few years, we may better understand how all those chemical may be triggered in such situations.

Concerning the turnips..I too love them..but I now hook them up to this new device..give it a try! :biggrin:

http://www.busyinbrooklyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/spiralized-turnip-noodles.jpg

Is more exciting and funny than a lie detector :biggrin:

Have a pleasant and journey on ESMB! :wink2:

Last edited:

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
There's a 2015 movie about North Korea entitled The Propaganda Game.

Apparently, there are millions of N. Koreans who believe they are happy.

Hard for me to fathom, except for the fact that I was happy about being a Scientologist. :omg:

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
There's a 2015 movie about North Korea entitled The Propaganda Game.

Apparently, there are millions of N. Koreans who believe they are happy.

Hard for me to fathom, except for the fact that I was happy about being a Scientologist. :omg:

But were you really happy while being happy that you were? Happy to do lower conditions? Happy to get paid like a slave? Happy to get no sleep? Happy to yes sir and no sir the idiots above you?

Ah the glorious happiness of life in a cult. Happy in your head that you have the answers to all life and spiritual freedom while in fact being miserable, stressed-out and cowed most of the time.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Weird right?

Along with all the bullshit you cited (and I experienced it all), I had tremendous certainty.

The N. Korean movie showed a lot of certainty too I think.

I guess I saw a lot of parallels in the mindset.

Strongly recommended for exes.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Weird right?

Along with all the bullshit you cited (and I experienced it all), I had tremendous certainty.

The N. Korean movie showed a lot of certainty too I think.

I guess I saw a lot of parallels in the mindset.

Strongly recommended for exes.

[video=youtube;kkSyLF2_7y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSyLF2_7y4[/video]

And here we have North Korea's version:

[video=youtube;6NMr2VrhmFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NMr2VrhmFI[/video]

Last edited: