What's new

Hello. Tourist here.

ccec

Patron
I like to consider myself a casual anthropologist meaning I enjoy learning about different groups and cultures. I've recently fallen into the subjects of cults partly because a close loved one left an organization she deems a cult. From there I've learned more about the broad subject. I've looked at some books. I've discovered the similarities that highly controlled groups have with one another. So now I'm here hoping to learn more about Scientology.

Before I started reading about "cults" I was simply interested in the study of religion and spirituality. As you can imagine, the differences are blurry.

Learning about Scientology has seemed daunting to me. I've heard horror stories of people being harassed. Also, I happen to live in an area surrounded by Scientologists. If I ever crossed the line, I know I would be in trouble. However I truly want to understand the culture. I'm just curious. So I hope to check out this forum and learn more and ask questions. Thanks for allowing me to join.

exsomessenger

Patron Meritorious
I happen to live in an area surrounded by Scientologists. If I ever crossed the line, I know I would be in trouble. However I truly want to understand the culture. I'm just curious. So I hope to check out this forum and learn more and ask questions. Thanks for allowing me to join.

Welcome to you!

what line would you cross? As a non scientologist how would you think that you would be in trouble. THis is a quite interesting statement to me.

ccec

Patron
Welcome to you!

what line would you cross? As a non scientologist how would you think that you would be in trouble. THis is a quite interesting statement to me.

Unfortunately I'm basing this claim on second-hand knowledge or hearsay. I'm not sure what the "line" is however when I see people like Stephen Hassan, on Scientology's list of "religiously intolerant" people (http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/religious-experts/false-experts/steven-hassan/) it makes me realize that the organization is vindictive. Also, I've just heard from videos and whispers in my immediate area. I have a coworker was a member as a child. When he stopped going, he said he received a phone call telling him he was going to fail at life if he stopped going. Strange things like this make me nervous.

So one question I have: Are you guys aware that you seem to have a very elaborate CoS language? There's lots of terminology here I don't know.