What's new

House Raids and Burning Books

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
I think this is a really good theory.

But DM and all the rest have been hiding LRH's out-pr since the late 1970's with the arrest and conviction of Mary Sue, and on through Hubbard's mental decline the last few years of his life.

Gerry Armstrong's revelation of parts of Hubbard's real life story resulted in, I believe, the first changing of all the books in the early 1990's (along with re-writing all the "About The Author" sections) and was also part of correcting LRH's Out-PR.

I agree with this.

DM has been trying to change and soften and "mainstream" LRH's and Scientology's images for years and years.

He's hired major wog PR firms to do it.

He has packaged and repackaged all the materials several times over.

He has spent millions renovating the buildings.

He has hired wogs to make infomercials for broad public consumption.

He has airbrushed all undesirables out of all LRH photos. He has made LRH's family disappear. He has unsuccessfully tried to put out an LRH biography for the past 20 years to show the world what a great humanitarian and all around swell guy he was.

He has created phony "humanitarian" groups like the VMs to try to get "Scientology known and well thought of".

It's all been a bust.

At this point, I think he is so desparate he has become psychotic.

Div6

Crusader
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in communicating my theory. What you say is true. WHO has written the new books? Who owns the copyrights? WHO is entitled to the royalties? Perhaps the mystery could be solved within those answers? Would there be any logic in this line thought? I don't think DM cares a hoot about Hubbard's PR, since he is the source on the largest part of the out PR. I don't think he cares enough about the public to worry if they can duplicate. Besides, those books can be read by any ninth grader with a dictionary. It would have to come down his A. Power B. Money C. Control or all three. There would have to be personal gain involved for DM himself. Of course, this is just theory and speculation on my part.

As noted when the L. Ron Hubbard A New Slant on Life book was "re-issued" a while back, the author and copyright registrant was L. Ron Hubbard Library, NOT LRH. I have not checked the Library of Congress registrations for the new books, but I would bet they are the same. Jessie Prince told a tale of DM freaking early on as the LRH books had NOT had their copyrights renewed, and ordered that they be done, even if it was a false report to the govt...

So there is that. Seeing as how ASI is the nexus of hte Hubbard fortune, and that DM was the president of ASI, it may be that he would profit directly from these sales....

MissDorfl

Patron with Honors
He's hired major wog PR firms to do it.

He did?

That is definitely something I want to hear more about. I used to work for a (small) marketing company (as a bean-counter, not in the creative department), but with the major PR flaps they had in recent years - need I mention Tom Cruise firing Pat Kingsley? - those PR firms can't have done their job very well.

Or is DM one of those know-it-better customers, so the PR company(ies) decided to comply with his wishes and run with the money - and parted with a "Told you so"?

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
And aside from royalties and book commissions, isn't there an agent fee paid? I seem to recall DM setting up, actually CREATING an agent for Hubbard. "Author Services".

Terril park

Sponsor
I have a feeling this has to do with copyrights going to expire. They are.
If the "old" books are made illegle and invalidated and burned in piles, the message is that they are have no value. And all the "new" books (new copyrights too!) is to solve that problem.

I mean, you have to ask yourself, "What problem are they trying to solve?"

What else could this be except to hold copyright control? Sure, new rewritten books equals new copyrights!

Just make the former books illegle! Problem solved!

Pretty crafty! And I guess the only solution available since they do not reach to meet with people's desire anymore.

It's all gone south into an enforcement band.

This whole book thing was a solution to a problem.

Anyone else have any other ideas of what problem they are trying to solve with this avalanche of hysteria rewriting the books?

Doing anything to get more people in paying more money.

Apparently they are being inundated with refund requests
someone said on ARS I think.

Terril park

Sponsor
Making new (altered) editions doesn't solve the problem of lapsing copyrights, since anyone could begin publishing the *original*, uncopyrighted works.

I suspect it's more a case of broad alterations intended to distract from the *important* alterations; the ones that support Davey and his henchmen.

And, it's also just an exercise in 'power'. To *make* people do what you want reinforces your 'authority', however spurious.

Zinj

Per a couple of people who are far more savvy than me in this area original copyrights stand.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
As noted when the L. Ron Hubbard A New Slant on Life book was "re-issued" a while back, the author and copyright registrant was L. Ron Hubbard Library, NOT LRH. I have not checked the Library of Congress registrations for the new books, but I would bet they are the same. Jessie Prince told a tale of DM freaking early on as the LRH books had NOT had their copyrights renewed, and ordered that they be done, even if it was a false report to the govt...

So there is that. Seeing as how ASI is the nexus of hte Hubbard fortune, and that DM was the president of ASI, it may be that he would profit directly from these sales....

Riiiiiiiight. I remember now. DM is Hubbard's agent and controls that L. Ron Hubbard's Library. And all of that is under different umbrellas and ownership beyond the Church's structured corporations I would imagine? These were groups DM created right?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
At this point, I think he is so desparate he has become psychotic.

It's probably silly of me, but, I tend to avoid the 'crazy' explanation when there are perfectly 'rational' (if bizarre) options available.

Scientology stretches that paradigm a bit, but, I've been saying for years that what makes the theories of 'outsiders' (whether lawyers or the CIA etc.) taking over Scientology was that, if they did so, the *last* thing they would want was the kind of broad and counter-productive insanity the 'Church' is now known for.

Lawyers would economize and try to maximize whatever cash inflow they could; the CIA would try to stay 'under the radar' and hopefully just let the organization disappear into insignificance.

There would be no 'outrages', 'court cases', 'Fair Game', harassment, abuses, or political shenanigans. 'Outsiders' exploiting Scientology, either for its 'cashflow' or its 'magic powerz' don't need OSA *or* the Sea Org.

It would be about either 'extracting the last/best profit before shutting down' or 'exploiting the gnarly OT Tech without drawing attention to it'.

The only people who would run the Cult like the Cult has been *run* for the past 20 years are *True Believers*, who actually *do* think they will 'Clear the Planet'.

And, 'true believers' would *not* be lawyers or CIA Ops; they would be people like Davey and the Sea Org crew.

Now, what's occurring to me is that there *is* some sanity in bug-shit-crazy-Clamland.

Even a 'True Believer' may be able to see that the game is over since it hit the Internet. No more 'secret' levels and the 'PR Handling' of running around in circles till the wogs get tired is a bust, when The Internet Never Forgets, and your words from yesterday will always be around to haunt you tomorrow.

So, granting *some* level of rationality to the obvious insanity, I think Davey and Co. are divesting.

Scaring off the 'public' who might think that 'Scientology' belongs to them, or want their money back - You left! All by yourself! We don't owe you shit!

Dumping 'Upper Management' and long-time-Sea-Org personnel... 'you're fired! You're suppressive! Get out!'

A *sane* scenario would be to shrink 'Scientology' to the point where it's just Davey and his cronies and flunkies holding the whole bag of 'reserves' and 'assets' while everybody else is just breathing a sigh of relief for getting out before the crunch.

The danger is that the 'organization' may be prosecuted before it can dwindle into oblivion, but, what are his other options?

If he leaves now, he's a fugitive. If 'Scientology' leaves *him*, he's the last thetan standing and gets to keep the pot :)

Zinj

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
He did?

That is definitely something I want to hear more about. I used to work for a (small) marketing company (as a bean-counter, not in the creative department), but with the major PR flaps they had in recent years - need I mention Tom Cruise firing Pat Kingsley? - those PR firms can't have done their job very well.

Or is DM one of those know-it-better customers, so the PR company(ies) decided to comply with his wishes and run with the money - and parted with a "Told you so"?

These are only a couple of the earlier ones. I'm almost sure they hired more after this.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Fishman/time-behar.html

Shortly after Hubbard's death the church retained Trout & Ries, a respected, Connecticut-based firm of marketing consultants, to help boost its public image. "We were brutally honest," says Jack Trout. "We advised them to clean up their act, stop with the controversy and even to stop being a church. They didn't want to hear that." Instead, Scientology hired one of the country's largest p.r. outfits, Hill and Knowlton, whose executives refuse to discuss the lucrative relationship. "Hill and Knowlton must feel that these guys are not totally off the wall," says Trout. "Unless it's just for the money." One of Scientology's main strategies is to keep advancing the tired argument that the church is being "persecuted" by antireligionists. It is supported in that position by the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Council of Churches. But in the end, money is what Scientology is all about. As long as the organization's opponents and victims are successfully squelched, Scientology's managers and lawyers will keep pocketing millions of dollars by helping it achieve its ends.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yeah.....and I betcha there aren't too many, if any, staff on post at ASI these days, at least not an FBO or treasurer.

Betcha those are posts being "held from above".

Well, it's very very ordinary. It's called "business".

Yes, yes I can understand the business logic.

I can understand wanting to be well rewarded for hard work and long hours.

I can understand wanting a retirment plan and wanting to retire early. I can understand wanting to be on the top of the Org board without anyone above you. This is all understandable and these are survival goals.

What I can't understand, is why they would take a field auditor, who was obviously able read the more "complex" original writings and duplicate them and apply them. And order him to go into the Church a minimum of 12.5 hours a week to read the elementary school. That makes no sense to me at all.

Last edited:

MissDorfl

Patron with Honors
These are only a couple of the earlier ones. I'm almost sure they hired more after this.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Fishman/time-behar.html

Shortly after Hubbard's death the church retained Trout & Ries, a respected, Connecticut-based firm of marketing consultants, to help boost its public image. "We were brutally honest," says Jack Trout. "We advised them to clean up their act, stop with the controversy and even to stop being a church. They didn't want to hear that." Instead, Scientology hired one of the country's largest p.r. outfits, Hill and Knowlton, whose executives refuse to discuss the lucrative relationship. "Hill and Knowlton must feel that these guys are not totally off the wall," says Trout. "Unless it's just for the money." One of Scientology's main strategies is to keep advancing the tired argument that the church is being "persecuted" by antireligionists. It is supported in that position by the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Council of Churches. But in the end, money is what Scientology is all about. As long as the organization's opponents and victims are successfully squelched, Scientology's managers and lawyers will keep pocketing millions of dollars by helping it achieve its ends.

Thanks LuluBelle,

I'd completely forgotten about the Richard Behar article. Hill and Knowlton must have been (still are?) in it for the money.

Mindboggling, how a PR firm manages to get involved with CoS and DM.

CoS does not have a client success story on Hill and Knowlton website, I notice:

http://www.hillandknowlton.com/index/case_studies

Last edited:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Thanks LuluBelle,

I'd completely forgotten about the Richard Behar article. Hill and Knowlton must have been (still are?) in it for the money.

Mindboggling, how a PR firm manages to get involved with CoS and DM.

CoS does not have a client success story on Hill and Knowlton website, I notice:

http://www.hillandknowlton.com/index/case_studies

I remember reading a few years ago (probably on ARS) that COS had hired another marketing firm for its PR. Some smaller company that I had never heard of.

Chances are Hill and Knowlton didn't last with them long.

It is extremely tough for companies - both Scientology owned and wog companies - to work with the church.

COS makes insane demands, pushes them to the wall to get things done overnight, then someone on high changes their mind and the whole thing gets dropped. Often the company gets no explanation whatsoever about why or what happened. Or any apology.

Suppliers are expected to be available 24/7. Not unusal for a vendor or vendor rep to be woken up at 2:00 a.m. by a desparate Scientology staff member because of some "flap".

Then some finance mission comes in and decides that the vendor has produced "overt products" and says they aren't getting paid.

That isn't the half of it. I could write a book on the subject.

Div6

Crusader
I remember reading a few years ago (probably on ARS) that COS had hired another marketing firm for its PR. Some smaller company that I had never heard of.

Chances are Hill and Knowlton didn't last with them long.

It is extremely tough for companies - both Scientology owned and wog companies - to work with the church.

COS makes insane demands, pushes them to the wall to get things done overnight, then someone on high changes their mind and the whole thing gets dropped. Often the company gets no explanation whatsoever about why or what happened. Or any apology.

Suppliers are expected to be available 24/7. Not unusal for a vendor or vendor rep to be woken up at 2:00 a.m. by a desparate Scientology staff member because of some "flap".

Then some finance mission comes in and decides that the vendor has produced "overt products" and says they aren't getting paid.

That isn't the half of it. I could write a book on the subject.

There was a little orange booklet that was passed around in the CoS back in the 80's called Positioning, by Trout and Ries. It was even on the Planetary Dissem course, and marketing checksheets. The story I heard was that since LRH thought so highly of them that they tried to hire them to help "position" Scn properly. Trout and Ries told them that they had to clean up thier act first, and refused to otherwise have anything to do with Scn.

What is lost on DM is that PR starts at home. Taking care of your staff. Treating your public with the respect they deserve.

No amount of money can buy that.

Too bad no one is home to hear it.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
What is lost on DM is that PR starts at home. Taking care of your staff. Treating your public with the respect they deserve.

A Scientology that treats its public and staff with the minimal respct due a prisoner would be a defunct Scientology.

A Scientology that wasn't a vicious and 'fixed and glaring' absolutist monstrosity would no longer be L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology.

How long could 'Scientology' survive questions from its public and staff?
How long could Scientology survive openness with society?

Zero
Zilch

Zinj

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
I read the Flag Order. It is just written in Sea Orgeze.

Orders, threats, no ARC, enforce band and it is coming from a police regime so what do you expect?

This group sees themselves as the Scientology police. And the police of Scientologists.

The people in the Sea Org will not see any outpoint at all with it. It sounds like a thousand other communications they read every day.

From what I recall they hate field auditors anyway, mission staff, class lV Org staff, public, and anyone else not part of "the team" or on staff in the Sea Org.

They aren't even 1.1 about it anymore. Which I think is a good indicator.

I seriously doubt Richard wrote that. I would bet money that he did not. Someone else wrote it or was ordered to write it and put his name on it to get stats up starting with letters out. Richard is a techy. I do not believe he wrote this. I believe it was written by someone else hiding behind "tech status" who probably can't stand these field auditors. For all I know Richard hasn't even seen it.

But, can you imagine the BI's on people, especially an auditor, upon opening his mail and reading this?

:furious: :storm:

TI, I drilled extensively with two old timer, Class VIII auditors, who were at Flag doing their GAT updates. Retreads, whatever you want to call it. There was a LOT of unexpressed resentment and BIs on patter drills, what do you do drills, and scripted sessions, which had to be done with all the reads duplicated and procedure correct, or you do it all over. Some of these on Grad V are quite long. Patience is tested.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
There was a little orange booklet that was passed around in the CoS back in the 80's called Positioning, by Trout and Ries. It was even on the Planetary Dissem course, and marketing checksheets. The story I heard was that since LRH thought so highly of them that they tried to hire them to help "position" Scn properly. Trout and Ries told them that they had to clean up thier act first, and refused to otherwise have anything to do with Scn.

Very well said, and so true. Goodwill has to be created, it cannot be bought.
Scientology was in a huge boom right up through the 70's and was from word of mouth. I think the general view from the population at this point is that they are barely legal. And the reason they are even that is because they have a lot of money to pay lawyers and hush money.

haiqu

Patron Meritorious
I sense shades of Faremheit 451. Damn good book, pity the movie missed the mark.

Has the FreeZone successfully stored the unmodified materials?

Project has been ongoing for years, including high quality archiving of original versions of taped lectures on media with at least a 200 year life span. We KNEW they would screw it up.

haiqu