Hubbard's Fall of Man

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Queenmab, Nov 3, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

It does stand to figure that if something can be created it can be destroyed but thetans must be tough little buggers because Xenu’s hydrogen bombs only dispersed them and the electronic ribbons only restrained them. Most implants emphasize the use of Clockwork Orange type videos and slide shows to instill ideas that cause the thetan to limit their own ability thus eventually degrading them into unconsciousness - ergo the BT problem.

Naturally, many implants would use religious ideas because those were particularly effective at messing with a thetan’s head. LRH must have taken this last bit to heart because Scientology seems to function very much like the religious implants he describes. This all also ties in rather neatly with what he said about survival and valences, or in wog terms - stockholm syndrome.

2. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Still, it's good to know about scams, and cobras in the off chance one should encounter a cobra.

3. Queenmab

Queenmab Patron

Although I've read a good deal of secondary material, Going Clear, A Piece of Blue Sky, Inside Scientology, Bare Faced Messiah, among others, I was never a Scientologist. I have no experience whatsoever with the "technology," and, although I've tried to read and listen to Hubbard, I find his writings and lectures to be maddeningly incoherent. There is in his work a peculiar mixture of some genuinely creative insight amidst worlds of bizarre, oddly egoistical, and often laughable fabulism.
    I tend to believe that secular culture produces a degree of existential virtigo, a condition of vague purposelessness that creates, in turn, an incentive on the part of many to adopt belief systems that involve some form of grand, cosmological struggle. This need isn't typically recognized consciously (One thinks of Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story), but produces a proneness to self deception one associates with fundamentalist zeal. I think it's interesting that the Thetan story, their Fall as it were, provides a remarkably apt metaphor for this all too common phenomenon.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  4. Queenmab

Queenmab Patron

5. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

I am curious what you think some of those subject items are.

I don't believe that this item comes from modern secular culture.
    IMO, this goes way back into ancient cultures with those beliefs carried forward generation-to-generation through childhood indoctrination. Have I misunderstood your point?

6. Queenmab

Queenmab Patron

I'll have to give that some thought. I've been listening recently to lectures given by Hubbard in the late fifties to early sixties, and I find them fascinatingly incomprehensible. I'll think of some particularly marvelous flights of fancy and get back to you.

No, I take your point. Religious ferver has always been with us. I suppose what I should have said is that until the post-enlightenment age virtually everyone in the world adhered to a particular religious tradition. So, they may have been less prone to spiritual crisis, and perhaps, therefore, less susceptible to innovation.

Perhaps it's not so much modernity as religious upheaval in general. I'm thinking, for instance, of the variety of novel Christian sects that sprang into being during the Reformation and of the terrible Munster Rebellion of the 1530's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Münster_Rebellion

Maybe religion itself, including Scientology, is the MEST dream out of which we humans are coming to consciousness.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017