What's new

" I CHING " Anyone else read it ? Follow it ?

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
A loose translation of the Chinese would be ' book of changes ' .

First my wife started reading it... then reading it to me... and now I read it.

Having already been a cheeleader for you-know-what I ain't going to one again but I'm wondering if any one who reads / posts here reads the I CHING ?

A loose translation of the Chinese would be ' book of changes ' .

First my wife started reading it... then reading it to me... and now I read it.

Having already been a cheeleader for you-know-what I ain't going to one again but I'm wondering if any one who reads / posts here reads the I CHING ?

I'm pushing 60, and I have used the i Ching since I was 15. I have the Wilhelm translation.

My daughter has a copy and uses it. Some of my friends do too.

It is Confucian I think.

You don't read it. You throw coins or straws and read the corresponding oracle words of wisdom for your current scene right now.

I have found it helpful and spot on from the beginning where I was introduced to it.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I do something similar with a dictionary. I open the book with a question in my mind, randomly flip around with my eyes closed, and stab my finger down. Wherever it lands, I look at the word, and then I invent some connection between that word and my question/current situation. Very entertaining, and more honest.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
My wife does throw the coins also - and she also sometimes just opens the book and reads where the book happens to open.

I am just starting to do this. Like last night a dear friend called about some things going on in her life that were worrisome for her. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with her.

Later that night my wife opened the I CHING and it was incredible how applicable it was.

No idea where my wife came up with her interest in the I CHING but it has been of great interest to her for at least 20 years.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I do something similar with a dictionary. I open the book with a question in my mind, randomly flip around with my eyes closed, and stab my finger down. Wherever it lands, I look at the word, and then I invent some connection between that word and my question/current situation. Very entertaining, and more honest.

And one of the joys of my life is to see someone do something they get joy from.

Some get joy by laughing at me and in that to I get to have my joy from their joy.

Entertaining, indeed !

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud

You may have devised a system to win the lotto :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
People are really good at drawing connections between unrelated phenomena and becoming convinced that those connections are independent of themselves.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
" People are really good at drawing connections between unrelated phenomena and becoming convinced that those connections are independent of themselves. "

I am independant of myself.

Or is it dependant of myself?

I forget.

Anyway, you lost me after " People are really good..." can we go back to there?

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Thanks for your reponse !

Wife did a class with Carol K Anthony & Hanna Mong and has their translation.

Our daughter also has and uses that book. I've been more interested in Ester and Jerry Hicks but am starting to get interested in the I CHING.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Perhaps my sentence was grammatically complex. I will demonstrate. Can you draw a connection between two different objects near you? Does this connection exist without you positing it?

Wisened One

Crusader
During my Tarot Studies, I've looked at a bit of it but haven't actually tried/used the system for myself, yet. One day, I may, tho. It sounds fascinating! :yes:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I've used it for about 40 years and, I suppose I'd say it positioned somewhere between taoism and confusianism for direction, but, both schools use it. It's kind of its own thing.

The nice thing about the Wilhelm translation (from chinese to german) is that the english translation includes a foreword by Carl Jung which is not only interesting but fun. Worth digging up *just* for that :)

He treats the I Ching as a 'person' and asks him his thoughts on the new edition in english. Gets some very interesting answers, plus, it's a good demonstration on using the coin oracle technique.

Zinj

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's a great oracle. I've got the Karcher / Ritsema version (1994); it's the size of a good dictionary and very well produced.

Veda

Sponsor
I don't use the I Ching for fortune telling. To me it's a book of wisdom, a mathematically based philosophical system.

0 = 2, that leads to 4, leads to 8, and then leads to 64. The I Ching is a cousin to the Tarot, and both are popularly used for fortune telling, but the Tarot was trimmed down, becoming a deck of playing cards. I wonder if there's a parlor game based on the I Ching?

I've never read it. I'm waiting for the movie.

I heard the math is useful in it, especially if you use it for Tao-Jones averages.

I like to read Chinese philosophy. The only trouble is that half an hour after reading some I'm hungry for more wisdom.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Oh, and Philip K. Dick won a Hugo award for his SF novel, 'The Man in the High Castle' which has as its central premise that an author living in a post WWII reality where the germans and japanese had won the war, uses the I Ching as a storyboard in writing a novel that develops into a story about a reality where the Germans and Japanese lost...

Very good book, if you like SF.

Zinj

Oh, and Philip K. Dick won a Hugo award for his SF novel, 'The Man in the High Castle' which has as its central premise that an author living in a post WWII reality where the germans and japanese had won the war, uses the I Ching as a storyboard in writing a novel that develops into a story about a reality where the Germans and Japanese lost...

Very good book, if you like SF.

Zinj

yeah it is. the i ching is in the opening passage and establishes an elegant development of the classic theme of inner world vis a vis outer world.

i used to work with astrology then i hooked up with a truly uncanny tarot reader but he's awaiting trial for murder, attempted murder and illegal possesion of a firearm.