Incredible String Band

Discussion in 'Scientology Celebrities' started by Veda, Mar 30, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. zigzagbuddha

zigzagbuddha Patron

Me too!!!

2. jonnyblade

jonnyblade Patron

How great to find someone who loves the Incredible String Band! Thanks for these videos!

3. zigzagbuddha

zigzagbuddha Patron

That had to have been an amazing experience! Although, I have to say, if I had ever been so fortunate as to find myself backstage with the ISB I would have rather been smoking pot with them, wearing a colorful costume of my own, rather than partying it up with a bunch of scientology staff members - including an ethics officer! Hahahahaha!

4. zigzagbuddha

zigzagbuddha Patron

You're not wrong. Smiling Men with Bad Reputations was Mike Heron's first solo LP. Although he wasn't totally solo, hehehe... what a crew he had along with him, including Pete Townsend and Keith Moon from The Who, Ronnie Lane from the Small Faces, Dr. Strangely Strange, and more!

5. zigzagbuddha

zigzagbuddha Patron

You're welcome! I am pretty pleased myself to find so many others, especially all in one place, who apparently love the ISB as much as I do!

6. zigzagbuddha

zigzagbuddha Patron

Re: ISB

I was at that concert too!

7. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I did. :)

Paul

8. Bluebell

Bluebell Patron

9. zigzagbuddha

zigzagbuddha Patron

Thank you!! I can't believe I didn't know who Billy Connolly is! Funny guy! I found this video that is so funny I have to post it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6f3e09lw7A&list=FLws-olNv4bh2ZvtpYGDVzlg&index=1

10. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

Not to be a Baker pendant or anything but this quote is suspect:

In 1960 Plant was 12 and Page was 16 or 17...they didn't meet until '68 or something along those lines...a hell of a lot closer to 1970 than 1960.

11. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

As an old Zep Head I'd like to indicate that your facts are correct.

12. Free Will

Free Will Patron with Honors

Yes, Paul, this was a major experience for me, having just recently joined the Sea Org, and having followed the ISB since The 5000 Spirits all the way through dope, LSD, Tibetan Buddhism (Robin studied at Samye Ling in Dumfriesshire) and into Scientology. I was impressed by 2 double-page interviews in Melody Maker or NME where Robin said he had always been shy towards women and that Scn had finally handled this for him.
    The gig in the ballroom was electrifying, as they were major icons in the hippy movement.

Unfortunately, their management had been taken over by Suzie Watson-Taylor, who was steering them towards electric rock as more commercial, but far less suitable for them than acoustic. Malcolm Le Maistre was being pushed forward as the main focus. I wasn't impressed by him.

I remember Robin said, either at the event or later that while playing he had exteriorised and watched the band from the other end of the room, where I was standing. That, and his personal audience with Hubbard, of course got me more hooked into Scn - even though I had felt their music had been deteriorating since their musical "U". I think Scn ruined them.

Years later, 1990, when I was living in Oxford, I met Robin and his wife Janet on a zebra crossing (he is still a cult figure in Celtic acoustic music circles) and was delighted when he smiled and said Hello as though recognising an old friend.

Sometimes I wish we'd all just stayed on the acid and weed. :yes:

13. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

Unless I am mistaken, I think I did stay on the hallucinogen LSD.

Lronhubbard Scientological Delusion

14. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

I knew them briefly - I met Likki in the New York Org HGC where she was getting her power processing - she was writing poetry. I saw some great concerts at the Filmore east - they really could hold a crowd's rapt attention. Later, I ran across Robin and Janet at AOLA and introduced them to Greg Heet (who invented the E-Bow). Greg was an inventor of electronic musical instruments, and one of them - the voice sitar (a precursor of the E-Bow) the ISB used in their double album U. Mimsey's claim to fame!

I played the grooves off The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter and Wee Tam and the Big Huge my favorite ISB albums.

Mimsey

[video=youtube;nu0brlGGQ2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0brlGGQ2Y[/video]

E-Bow in action

[video=youtube;UsiQgRp5bfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsiQgRp5bfQ#t=66[/video]

15. Uk-86

Uk-86 Patron

LZ trivia

I recall Ms Frazer saying that when she approached one of the guys from Page & Plant - 1994 version that the response was:

'you're not a fucking Scientologist are you?'

Denial was strong and l hear she backed off.
    Wonder how Hossam Ramzy kept it quiet from them as l think he toured with them!?

16. Veda

Veda Sponsor

[?!], below, added.

Two posts that follow are from the other Incredible String Band thread, started as there were so many no longer functioning videos on the old thread.

I had mistakenly assumed that the ISB were exposed to Scientology before or during the creation of Big Huge and Wee Tam. I knew that Robin Williamson had been audited by Bent Corydon at St. Hill after Hubbard had left to become the Commodore of the floating insane asylum (as John McMaster called it) of the Royal Scotsman, a.k.a. the Apollo.

[?!] Free Will's comment that Robin Williamson had a "personal audience with Hubbard" is something I hadn't heard before. Did Robin visit the "flagship" as a paying public pc? Curious as to any further details on that. :)

17. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Hi Free Will,

Don't know if you'll see this, but I've found no evidence that Robin Williamson met with Hubbard. I think someone was pulling your leg, probably in an attempt to encourage you further in to Scientology.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  18. Free Will

Free Will Patron with Honors

Hi Veda,
    I finally saw it!
    It was the String Band who basically led me into Scientology (in 1972).
    I know Robin went to the flagship.
    I joined the SO at Saint Hill October 1972 (bringing my brother Alistair and 2 other acid-tripper friends, all ISB fans).
    Sometime soon after that I saw a photo of Robin sitting at a dinner table with Hubbard on the Apollo. Robin looked in total awe of Hubbard, like in the presence of God. I believe he had cut off his hippy long hair (like I did). It's a faded memory now but I believe he played some music for "Source".
    He wasn't much active in Scn after that. When I saw him at SH he looked unhappy, seemed to be getting PTS treatment. Same as Licorice, who had to do amends filing invoices in my accounts files in Treasury. She was very unhappy. I always wondered why no-one advised her to get her rotting teeth sorted.
    But I'm pretty sure there's a photo somewhere of LRH patronising Robin, probably he was informed how many UK scinos idolised Robin.
    I also remember at one point after he had gone solo, Robin came over to Stonelands to show a female auditor (name escapes me) some tricks on ther mandolin or similar stringed instrument, as I got to hear the cassette tape.
    Scientology wrecked the ISB.
    There's a possibility the photo was in one of the magazines.
    Back then, all celebrities were used heavily in promotion and then quickly dumped when they (inevitably) lost interest.

19. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Thanks for the information.

IMO, Robin never fully recovered from his involvement in Scientology.

Their music was unique and magical and, ultimately, Scientology hurt them.

Thank heavens we have the pre Scientology recordings, ending with Wee Tam and Big Huge.

There's another thread on the ISB. Between the two threads, the topic is pretty well covered.

Any new information is appreciated.

20. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Mike Heron 2003:

"Mike Heron called his long term involvement in Scientology 'silly', because he should have seen, "that the control it exercised over me was stronger than anything I could have learned from it."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017