Is new Ohio State House of Representatives member George Lang a member of the Church of Scientology?

Discussion in 'Breaking and Major News about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Sep 14, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Is new Ohio State House of Representatives member George Lang a member of the Church of Scientology?

Tony Ortega has the story:

Is Ohio’s newest legislator a Scientologist? ‘I had him on the cans,’ says our man in Cincy

https://tonyortega.org/2017/09/14/i...-i-had-him-on-the-cans-says-our-man-in-cincy/

A teaser:

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Yesterday, a pretty minor political story — the appointment of a Republican township trustee to an open seat in the state House of of Representatives — blew up into something more, thanks to the Church of Scientology and a notorious alt-right figure.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

EDITED TO ADD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. CommunicatorIC

George Lang: I’m not a Scientologist … but what if I was?

Journal-News - George Lang: I’m not a Scientologist … but what if I was?

http://www.journal-news.com/news/lo...tologist-but-what-was/jKBcIX4eeFGfayVJkFBz3I/

By Michael D. Pitman

Days before Ohio Rep. George Lang, R-West Chester Twp., was sworn in to the Statehouse, he was asked by a member of the Butler County GOP: “Are you a Scientologist?”

[SNIP]

The question first drew laughter by most of the Central Committee members within the Ohio House district, but it drew the ire of Lang, who succeeded Conditt and was sworn in on Sept. 13.

Lang, a Baptist, first explained why he attended the opening of a new church of Scientology center in Northern Kentucky: a long-time friend who is a Scientologist asked him to speak at the opening of the new center.

3. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Goldenrod SP

Publicy disavowing Scientology is classed by them as a Suppressive Act. So if he publicly says he isn't a Scientologist it must be true.

4. CommunicatorIC

Is new Ohio lawmaker George Lang a Scientologist?

Cincinati Com: Is new Ohio lawmaker a Scientologist?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/09/21/new-ohio-lawmaker-scientologist/684277001/

By Keith Biery Golick

Lang's right. There are no religious tests or requirements for politicians.

But that didn't stop video of Lang's speech from surfacing. And that didn't stop me from noticing he didn't really tell the full story.

Lang was one of four local and state officials who spoke on that cold February day in 2012.

Others complimented the church and its commitment to community service. One said L. Ron Hubbard was "everything a human being should be."

But no one spoke like Lang.

Upstat. Reactive Mind. Purification Rundown.

Experts say Scientologists have their own language, and Lang was speaking it.

"I've never practiced it," Lang told me this week.

But he acknowledged he "checked it out" years ago. I read him part of his speech, which elicited a smirk from a co-worker sitting nearby.

"The reactive mind," I said. "What's that?"

"That was part of the speech they helped me write," Lang said. "I couldn't tell you much more about what that means."

Lang read the book "Dianetics," but only made it through three chapters. Because of his initial interest, he still gets phone calls and mailings from the church almost every week.

"I figured I had nothing to lose by checking it out," Lang said. "After checking it out, I decided it wasn't for me."

His main objection? Everything cost money, he said.

I read him another excerpt:

I have also experienced my own personal miracles.

When doing the Purification Rundown, in addition to achieving everlasting spiritual gains and mental gains, I also experienced significant improvement in my hearing.

The Purification what?

Lang spent six hours a day in a sauna, for about a month, taking vitamins and exercising. It is a process meant to detoxify the body and purify the mind.

He enjoyed it.

Everlasting spiritual gains? Hyperbole, he said.

The former West Chester Township trustee said the process really did help his hearing, though, and it has since regressed.

"I'm not so sure it wasn't melting away the earwax," he said.

I'm not sure if he was joking.

While Scientology is a joke to some, experts say the introductory classes function a lot like counseling and therapy sessions.

Hugh Urban, a professor at Ohio State University who has studied Scientology for more than a decade, says even ex-members who dislike the church believe these sessions help.

And these are people who say they were attacked and beaten for trying to leave the church.