What's new

Isolating the "good bits" of Scn theory/mgmt

(Bold = mine.)

Hubbard should probably have received the Pulitzer Prize then -- he was the first individual to ever recognize these emotional tones in the correct order. By all means, find credit where ever it is due for the poor guy. He is so unfairly bashed by his bullshitting sarcastic critics. It's not like his "tech" ever damaged anyone, even if you can pick and choose little bits of things he penned to be applicable outside the confines of the cult. And forget the fact that much of it was plagiarized, or in many cases assisted/co-founded with others that later had their names removed because Hubbard was simply A NARCISSIST!

If you investigate, even a little, you'll find he was also paranoid, sociopathic, and resentful too (of the psychiatric and medical fields).

No need for the sarcasm, I agree he was a wanker of the first order, and provably paranoid (literally looking over his shoulder and running quickly). Sociopathy and narcissism have certain definitions, but I won't argue---he was near-as-dammit both. Anyway, finding a bon mot or two applicable to my life at the present time or recent memory, whether truly originated by LRH or not, does nothing to vindicate his manifestly sick mind and evil personality. I was simply wondering if others might have picked kernels of reality from the heap of turds that Scientology is after leaving the cult, and whether their kernels overlapped with mine.

I don't know why you think the answer to simple curiosity should be such knee-jerk hostility. If I left you with any impression that I venerated LRH, that ain't the case---it's more like swirling a strainer through a tank full of urine out of morbid fascination with kidney stones, and to find out if you'll find a struvite, urate, or calcite.

EDIT: I have investigated --- more than you might think --- and I'd chalk Hubbard's psychophobia down to clinical paranoia more than resentment. I saw a few pages on it but this is the only one I could find again: https://www.exscn.net/content/view/69/98/index.html

Last edited:

phenomanon

Canyon
Thanks for actually answering my question with something other than sarcastic bullshit. I hadn't realised that it *had* been tested aside from dianetic therapy with the specific hypothesis being that it could produce a measurable increase in IQ (result: it did, but the increase was within the margin of error, so for all intents and purposes, it didn't).

The reason I'm asking this question, however, is partly because a friend of mine has been going to the Monterey Centre in Frisco for psychotherapy. While their main site doesn't use the word dianetics, I think they're affiliated with CA-DA, their therapist is ex-Scn, and they use the Auditor's Code word-for-word. Sky says she's had good experiences and they have good reviews on Yelp, but I'd rather she didn't invest in ineffective psychotherapy, if indeed it IS ineffective.

Big snip for brevity

The Monterey Centre has a compelling ad. As far as their being CADA, it is doubtful that any of the CADA group remain. Tell me the name of the 'therapist' and I will know if it is a CADA member.
If COS is using CADA as a name for their group, they are breaking the law.
COS stole the Seal of CADA in 1989, during the COS attempted takeover of the group, but that doesn't mean that they can use the title. THe words ( California Assoc of Dianetic Auditors) is trademarked, and certain people have kept that trademark alive. Who is the person who runs the place?
Their ad gave no pertinent info.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Oh, some people were just great at auditing - they were the stars who did the reviews, took off the red tags, etc. Their PCs always FLEW !

That really good auditor is going to get results with people on most any kind of 'ology ! It ain't scn that is grand it IS the people that can help other people.

So, sure, something a great 'auditor' uses & gets great results routinely ? When they use something else as a process, gee, that works, too !

I believe that the person is so damn much more important than the 'process'. Which person ? Hell, BOTH !

scn has some process that work - particularly an outdoor one like walking along & ( repetitively ) " Notice something just for fun ". So many others.

But, my God, CCHs - depending on WHO is running them on WHOM can be life changing ! ( Most people didn't get told, or missed, those processes run both ways ! )

I'm more into the INDIVIDUAL person and their own potentials rather than the LRH belief make 'em all round ball bearing on the assembly line with the one-size-fits-all mentality.

Did I say a really good auditor can get results with ANY version of dianetics ? Yeah. ( Even if dianetics tends to run a person from a mostly victim identity ) That same really good auditor can get good results with damn near anything ( while the average auditor just bogs people with any process ).

Lots of fine people got involved in scientology & could make it work. Many are names most of us know - some post here.

phenomanon

Canyon
Dammit! I wish I could figger this stuff out.
There was a time when at the bottom R of the message it said 'Reply', and you would go to the last 'quote' sign on the message you wanted to reply to, and type your message in and it was all good.
Now I get sumpin like that post I am replying to. ( and it doesn't even show up here, even though I clicked on 'reply'.
:(:eek:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Dammit! I wish I could figger this stuff out.
There was a time when at the bottom R of the message it said 'Reply', and you would go to the last 'quote' sign on the message you wanted to reply to, and type your message in and it was all good.
Now I get sumpin like that post I am replying to. ( and it doesn't even show up here, even though I clicked on 'reply'.
:(:eek:
What I do on this new fangled thing is : On the post that I want to reply to I click ( lower right of that post ) on 'reply' & wait patiently fro a few seconds for it pop up & let me type away.
I don't know nuttin about no ' quote ' button :)

In my other post, I forgot to mention - like on CCH's - that with one PC ya got " The room seems brighter " it was taken & a mad dash to the examiner hoping the FN might last that far. Yet, on another, ignore 'the room seems brighter' & let 'em get all they can out of it.

Not all PC's were ever the same & nor were the auditors ! ( It was never the tek that got results, it was the people doing it ! )

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
What I do on this new fangled thing is : On the post that I want to reply to I click ( lower right of that post ) on 'reply' & wait patiently fro a few seconds for it pop up & let me type away.
I don't know nuttin about no ' quote ' button :)

In my other post, I forgot to mention - like on CCH's - that with one PC ya got " The room seems brighter " it was taken & a mad dash to the examiner hoping the FN might last that far. Yet, on another, ignore 'the room seems brighter' & let 'em get all they can out of it.

Not all PC's were ever the same & nor were the auditors ! ( It was never the tek that got results, it was the people doing it ! )

I do believe the 'quote' button is for adding multiple quotes from different posts, if you hit that a few times during a thread, then when you finally post 'reply', your quotes listed/marked should all appear, haven't tested it yet but that's how the old Xenforo forum formats worked (mostly).

:cheers:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Oh, some people were just great at auditing - they were the stars who did the reviews, took off the red tags, etc. Their PCs always FLEW !
That really good auditor is going to get results with people on most any kind of 'ology ! It ain't scn that is grand it IS the people that can help other people.
Yep, Scientology tech -- isn't tech. If it were a technology, then they would be able to get anybody who could understand the materials get results. Helping people is an art (in the sense of an activity where the ability to get a good result is very dependent upon the individual skill and "flair" of the person). Somebody who is very good at getting a person to open up and talk about things which are troubling him, is going to get the person feeling better, whether the practitioner is an auditor or a bartender.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Yep, Scientology tech -- isn't tech. If it were a technology, then they would be able to get anybody who could understand the materials get results. Helping people is an art (in the sense of an activity where the ability to get a good result is very dependent upon the individual skill and "flair" of the person). Somebody who is very good at getting a person to open up and talk about things which are troubling him, is going to get the person feeling better, whether the practitioner is an auditor or a bartender.
I remember an auditor who started a session with the PC standing in her chair to keep the snakes from getting her. Within a very few minutes that PC was sitting in her chair, calm as could be, running R3R ' down the track '.

I saw a PC FLY, get handed off to another auditor & BOG on the same R3R. Hand the PC back to the original auditor & the PC up & FLYS again. Hand off the second auditor & PC crashes. Back the original auditor & FLY !

We all know an endless amount of this story. Not all are created equal or can be made equal. Some can be the best baker, best candlestick maker or whatever BUT not everybody is going to Great at " this " or "that " yet be the best ever in "what-cha-ma-call-it".

For me, random chains of numbers are easier to learn than French or Spanish. I had a room mate that spoke 11 languages - and taught himself Russian !

In some skills - or arts - some people just have a 'touch' to do it so extremely well. To me, such is helping others.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
No need for the sarcasm, I agree he was a wanker of the first order, and provably paranoid (literally looking over his shoulder and running quickly). Sociopathy and narcissism have certain definitions, but I won't argue---he was near-as-dammit both. Anyway, finding a bon mot or two applicable to my life at the present time or recent memory, whether truly originated by LRH or not, does nothing to vindicate his manifestly sick mind and evil personality. I was simply wondering if others might have picked kernels of reality from the heap of turds that Scientology is after leaving the cult, and whether their kernels overlapped with mine.

I don't know why you think the answer to simple curiosity should be such knee-jerk hostility. If I left you with any impression that I venerated LRH, that ain't the case---it's more like swirling a strainer through a tank full of urine out of morbid fascination with kidney stones, and to find out if you'll find a struvite, urate, or calcite.

EDIT: I have investigated --- more than you might think --- and I'd chalk Hubbard's psychophobia down to clinical paranoia more than resentment. I saw a few pages on it but this is the only one I could find again: https://www.exscn.net/content/view/69/98/index.html

Hi Honeywhite,

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, but I've been away. I wish you didn't take my sarcasm as mean hostility because it was just plain old regular everyday sarcasm.

Also, the "more than you might think" comment, I apologize if I made you think you haven't done your fair share of investigating. That was not cool of me to assume.

I will say, in candid honesty, that I have a trigger response to finding any positive accreditation towards Hubbard more and more as the years go by for me. I have been working on a book for nearly a decade that has gone from practically a moderate stance to what you now see before you. He has done such damage that, even if there are things--tiny things--that "work" to improve aspects of life (that I swear could be discovered elsewhere--which was what I meant by investigating), I just don't want it posted where it may pique someone's curiosity. I've pulled whatever I myself "discovered" through life, whatever I gleaned from Scientology and elsewhere and made it all my own. I'd rather promote that and let people know that there's a much better path--their own. It's not copyrighted.

Everyone already knows that taking a walk makes you feel better--noticing stuff along the way brings you out of your funk. Is Hubbard something special for calling it a Locational? Cause and effect? It's been covered. The communication cycle? It's why talk therapy works--though, hit and miss at times. Not foolproof, yet more often than auditing ever was. Much more, he convinced people they had a bank so only Scientology could "cure" it. If there's anything to look into it's the green volumes. I am fully trained in that department, through and through, and I'll tell you that there isn't anything you can attribute as breakthrough applicable actions for businesses, organizations or otherwise. And there's definitely not anything there that is original. I applied all that stuff well after I left, including Ethics "tech;" all a mistake. It only kept one of my toes into the brainwash pool.

Accounting 101, that's pretty much all you need. A Toastmasters class? Maybe even an improv class, you know, to get some kind of leadership skills. There's other ways to be a good exec that won't harm you. See where I'm going with this?

Last edited:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
While many of us may have left the cult thinking LRH was a great man & that it only "misapplication" of the "correct technology" that was wrong.

When the onion started to peel layer by layer many of us have come to the conclusion that it was a psychopaths shit pile from the gitco..

See my siggy.

I'm decades past trying to act like the cult was worthwhile.