Ivan Obolensky

Discussion in 'Reconnecting with Old Friends' started by Lulu Belle, Dec 7, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

Huge for me.

Ivan has been located.

I've been in communication with him on Facebook.

He told me this tonight.

Please let those who want to contact me know that I welcome their communication and if per chance they have upset with me I welcome that, too. I was not always Mr Happy Face. For now I prefer contact via my email: ivanob@aol.com or on FaceBook.

I am so so so glad he surfaced. Very emotional for me. He was a very big influence on my life.

:bigcry:

2. Miss Penguin

Miss Penguin Patron with Honors

That is great news!!!!!

3. Kathy (ImOut)

Kathy (ImOut) Gold Meritorious Patron

He used to pick his nose in the lobby of AOLA. Grossed me out.

4. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

:eyeroll:

5. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Was he a reg at AOLA at one point? Is he short?

6. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Ivan and his first wife had pet finches

Ivan and his first wife had pet finches in a cage in his office. They made a nice musical melody, always going, " duh de duh duh deah, duh de duh duh deah. The composer Mozart had a pet starling who made the same sounds back in 1786 and Mozart composed a piano concerto whose third movement features the melody created by his starling and echoed by Ivan's finches.

Ivan was the C.O. at the AOLA in 1975 and 1976 when I did my "old" Upper OT Levels. He was a pretty cool guy at the time. His wife was about 8 months pregnant when I started there. A year or two later he dumped her and the Baby. He had a new woman, his first wife did not look very happy after that, for a while, but after a few months, she seemed to have found another 2D and came back up tone.

CORRECTION - Someone wrote Ivan was C.O. from 1982 on and that makes sense, he was not C.O. in the mid 70's when I did my OT levels but in the early 80's when I was doing NOTS. I remember I bought a new car in 1983 and he came outside and took a look at it. That made me realize my error in dates. He was about 5'9" which I cover on another post I just made.

Lakey

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  7. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Interesting. But was he short?

8. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

I hope the fuck was worth leaving his kids behind.

9. Gottabrain

Gottabrain Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
  10. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

I think that perceptions of ivan will be colored by whether the writer was in the Sea Org with him.

From my perspective he was an incredible CO for AOLA. Let me explain why

The CO of AOLA is second only to the captain FSO in terms of harassment, scrutiny and interference by management. In fact in some respects the CO AOLA has it worse.

AOLA makes up the bulk of Sea Org production stats especially GI. It is just over the road from the FOLO and very close to the HGB. Bridge is just there, as is ASI. Anyone coming to LA from Int arrives just around the corner from the org. So there is a constant stream of management people poking their heads in, walking around, annoying people and wanting to talk to the CO.

And there are the constant stream of phone calls. I was CO AOSH EU at one time and it was bad enough for me and when I got to LA in 1984 and saw what ivan was going through...

But he did work hard at trying to keep all this pressure and clutter out of the lives of his crew. I am not sure how well he succeeded but he fought hard about it and I am pretty sure that people in the crew of AOLA knew it and appreciated it. And that alone sets him head and shoulders above most other SO COs.

Ivan IS one of the good people and though I did not know him that well, what i do know was all good. And anyone who can impress Lulubelle has got to be OK.

11. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

He was not real tall but was not real short.

Ivan was not real tall, but not real short either. I am 5' 11 1/4" in barefeet and 6' with shoes and I'd say Ivan was about 5' 9", about the same as Tom Cruise. He had dish water blond hair, which was straight, no curliness, he was thin and lanky which made him appear slightly on the tall side from a distance due to his proportions, but when you got up close he was 5'9". Obolensky sounds like a either a Polish name or a Russian name, I believe he was of Russian genetics because of the name Ivan, which is not Polish. I think we even talked about it because my grandparents on my Dad's side both came from the Ukraine part of Russia, and I believe that was Ivan's genetics. I know exactly what he looked like in the 80's and could easily pick him out of a line up but he has undoubtedly changed in the last 26 years.
    Lakey

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  12. bts2free

bts2free Patron with Honors

Yes, Ivan was the CO AOLA from the early 80's until he blew in the late 80's and possibly just into the 90's.

I knew his wife Debbie, who was the Chief Off CC Int for a long time. I wonder what ever happened to her. Anyone know?

I also remember that something awfull happened with their son, Serge. I believe he was Debbie's step son. He tried blowing up a mailbox or something with a pipe bomb. The explosion took away his arms - my memory is vague on this. But he was one of those unsupervised or cared for SO kids who was running around for years getting into all sort of trouble. He was also in the PAC RPF doing renovations at CC Int for a while. Before that, I think he was working in the Galley.

I wish Ivan the best. The last memory I have of him is getting chewed out in the Reg office near the lobby in AOLA by Marc Yager and James Byrne who was the I/C of the Pac Ethics Mission at the time.

Crazy times and another classic case of what happens to Sea Org families.

13. dianaclass8

dianaclass8 Silver Meritorious Patron

Ivan blew the SO and abandoned his children at a young age, he totally disconnected from them knowing well how horrible the conditions were in the SO.

Serge, Yuri and Sasha. One blew both his hands off, the other is a normal guy and Sasha lost his mind from some illness or lack of nutrition, he used to live across the street from CCI and his stepfather used to bring him the leftovers from the restaurant where he was a chief.

They all grew up alone without a father and a mother; Sasha used to spend a lot of time in my house, I wanted to raise him along with my son but his mother did not let him...yet she did not take care of him.

Sadly he passed away at the age of 20 or something like that.

It has nothing to do with the SO or Scientology, it has to do with irrespnsible parenting.

Ivan came from a rich famliy in Russia, their story was in the cover of time magazone. I had no respect for Ivan or his ex-wife...

Diana

14. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

I found an artists experience with Serge which is certainly a very, very sad story: I'm not going to copy and past it here - check half way down the page.

http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/artist_profile/Tracey+Keilly/30101.html

15. FinallyFree

FinallyFree Gold Meritorious Patron

I was on staff at LA Day when Serve blew his hands and parts of his arms off. He was making a bomb. Serge had been is serious ethics trouble for some years. PAC Security was always keeping and eye on him and checking up on him – but only a few people knew specifically what he was in trouble for and why he was being watched. Serge lived in a room in the back of a house directly across the street from LA Org (the scientology entrance side, not the big dianetics entrance side which faces Sunset. Those who were around PAC in the 90’s would remember that it had a home-made space ship in its front yard).

No one knows why Serge was building a bomb – frankly when I heard, the first thought I had was he was going to try to blow up one of the scn PAC buildings – but that was just my guess.

16. Ladybird

Ladybird Silver Meritorious Patron

17. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Diana, I believe I know who you are.

Diana - I never met you when I was in but I am personal messaging with a person who recently started taking services from you, at least he is telling me that. I knew of your work from the videos you made about how C of S has been changing the original books by L Ron Hubbard to the alter-ised books taken from the works of L Ron Hubbard. Just think, your videos were done even before the Basics came out

When I watched you present the data about the altered books, I was impressed very much by how safe your space is and how honest and straightforward you communicate. This person whom I am PMing with invited me to an event at your house a couple of weeks ago and I was going to try and make it but did not do so. It is good to be able to communicate to you and thank you for all the fine work you are doing. If he invites me again to an event where you are at, I will come for sure next time. I am doing a lot of posting on ESMB but have a desire to take a more active part against C of S. Maybe, if I meet you, you could steer me in the right direction towards getting more active.

As to you comments about Ivan, I am sorry to hear you feel that way about him. He seemed like a nice young guy with executive ability when I first knew him but it sounds like he sold out his integrity to upper C of S management.
    Lakey

18. That just might be the most heartbreaking ex-Scientology kid story I have ever read. The poor guy just didn't have a chance, did he?

19. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

Welcome ButterflyChaser

Agree. It is certainly the saddest I have read too. I read it a few days ago and am still in tears about it. I couldn't find anything else online, to indicate whether he is still alive. :bigcry:

20. Bea Kiddo

Bea Kiddo Crusader

Sasha was born with a blood disease. I don't know which kind, but he was ill most of his life. I am very sorry to hear he passed. He was there when Serge was building the bomb. He had built a few before that and placed them in newspaper stands in the LA area. Sasha was prosecuted for his involvement with Serge in the making of these bombs. Serge was let go, because the police believed that he had learned his lesson. He had lost both hands and I also think he also lost one eye.

There were a few marriages and divorces amongst several couples that confused me as to who the parents were of the kids. Who was the mother? I know Ivan was the father. I am pretty sure the mother was not Debbie. Was it Nancy (later Christodoulou)?