Landmark Forum = Scientology Light ?

Discussion in 'Cults in General' started by JBWriter, Apr 24, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

The blog post begins with this:

To read further:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNHL2Hze4ruIr9Z0F7zqBGRFIqItdQ&cad=rja

JB.

2. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Definitely cult-like.

I know a few people who've gotten into it.

They are either cult addicts or simply not very smart.

And every new cult is "Finally, this is the one!"

Bleh.

TG1

P.S. That crowd reminds me of those very primitive kinds of creatures in the sea of identical cells that form a big organism blob of identical cells. In other words, they yearn to be exactly like every other unit around them and grow into each other. Erk!

3. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Yes, Landmark Forum morphed out of Est.

Est was based on Scn TR's and other Scn practices, but the idiots running the show became monstrously abusive, and and Est got such a bad rap it had to wrap up. The believers in the money making caper and "benefits" then set up Landmark Forum.

It has many similarities to Scn practices and even uses some of the Scn/Wise tricks for getting converts and businesses to use the practitioners to run seminars in businesses.

Run for cover!!

Rog

4. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

On a related note...

A post today from deep within the Underground Bunker (Tony Ortega's blog):

5. esquepitique

esquepitique Patron

http://dankennedy.com/blog/small-bu...-marketing-tip-capitalize-on-the-tumbsuckers/

PS.: Dan Kennedy is one of the most known and respected small business marketing expert on the field. He studied heavely on deep psychology aspects of what make people buy.

PPS.: I think there are good things on EST/Landmark (or there were). The problem is that the cult free you from something, while It put you into their own system. You exit a prison to enter a new one.

6. In present time

In present time Gold Meritorious Patron

yep, i was gonna mention to's post today, it had a page to a 10 page article about landmark/est.

when i fell into scn. back in the late 70's it was a real toss up for me between eckankar or est.
    scn. snapped me up because of a door to door bookselller that came to my door.

i was already checking out every book in the library about religions, so i was low hanging fruit. no doubt about it.

7. Reasonable

Reasonable Silver Meritorious Patron

I did EST around 1991 just before I got into Scientology ( out of the frying pan and into the fire). Basically it was a 2 day group processing session where they did a sort of dianetics session on a few individuals and got you to go into your own head to process yourself.

They did some other things like getting you to find out your overts (not in those words) and to call the people and apologize.

Then they guilted you into getting other people to come to graduation and get them to do "The Work."

Then they tried to sell a book called "Assassination of Werner Erhard by 60 Minutes and the church of Scientology".

For sure it was Scientology light but really was not that expensive and yes they got volunteers that they did not have to pay, but no real slave labor, no disconnection. No real harm. It was a novelty act.

They really played with your emotions and everybody was bearing their souls, the girls were really vulnerable so I got a lot of phone numbers of girls who felt "connected to me" so in the next few months I had a lot of fun.

Parents....advise your daughters to stay away.
    If you are a young guy….Sign up today!

8. myrklix

myrklix Patron with Honors

Well, I have to confess that I did the Landmark Education trilogy of courses -- the Forum, the Advanced Course and (can't remember the third) -- at the Boston-area center around 12+ years ago. While I felt parts of it were beneficial I came away from it using the exact same words as this thread: Scientology Light. I'd been in Scn in the '80's and early '90's. My personal opinion was that, after Scn, it didn't feel much like a cult in comparison. While there was a bit of hard-sell while in the courses to bring in friends/family I never seemed to get all those follow-up phone calls that I was used to in Scn.

I would have to say that third course (whatever its name), which I think took place over several weekends, actually encouraged producing a positive effect on one of your communities (outside of Landmark) without any insistence that you tell that community that the impetus was coming from Landmark. I thought that was pretty cool after Scn wanted everything to come back around to them. Incidentally, I attended some other event that I thought was quite positive for its community and only found out, quite accidentally, that it was also one of these projects.

So, in some ways, perhaps a cult, perhaps Scn Light. Overall a positive experience for me but for others I've run into who've done the Landmark thing, not such a positive experience.

Just my 2-cents...

9. Loohan

Loohan Am I Mettaya?

Wow (referring to the OP article), locking people up for a weekend, disallowing toilet breaks, etc.
    with the desired EP of everyone "getting It".
    That sounds exactly like descriptions of EST that i read in the effing '70s.

I never did EST, but was invited in 1975 to attend a free event as an EST guest. I was totally naive and open-minded going in, but it still weirded me out.
    EST completions were giving wacky "wins". I remember one couple laughing about how they came back from their EST workshop only to find that the person they had trusted to take care of their house had let the pipes freeze and burst in the cold. But hahaha, that didn't bring them down because they were flying high on "It".

10. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

In 1977, Burt Reynolds & Kris Kristofferson co-starred in "Semi-Tough" which parodies Werner Erhard & his EST.. referred to in the film as "B.E.A.T."

One of the rules of EST was that one could only leave the room to use the bathroom only at pre-designated bathroom break times & attendees that tried to use the restroom at any other time, were physically blocked from leaving the room. If they objected to this, they were informed they could leave the room, but would not be allowed to return for the training & their fees would not be refunded to them.

I recall in the film a comical moment where a woman stands up in the room & proclaims "I just peed my pants and I feel great". (sadly, there was no YouTube capture of this scene.. it was hilarious.)

[video=youtube;xSmcTHRGto0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSmcTHRGto0[/video]

[video=youtube;DbdvzQqvPEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbdvzQqvPEE[/video]

Now, the real thing..

[video=youtube;Kt_RuSvFvS0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt_RuSvFvS0[/video]

11. haiqu

haiqu Patron Meritorious

Geoff Filbert gives Werner Erhard (founder of Est/Forum) quite a serve in Excalibur Revisited, and justly so.

There are a swag of other Scientology derivatives.

12. Lurker5

Lurker5 Gold Meritorious Patron

Outrageous Betrayal, Steven Pressman, fascinating . . .

13. KingRay

KingRay New Member

14. PirateAndBum

PirateAndBum Gold Meritorious Patron

Your borderline genius can't seen to handle making proper use of the quote facility.

15. KingRay

KingRay New Member

It was for emphasis, moron! Anyway, must've struck a nerve for you to get caught up on that, eh? LOL ... WHATEVAH!