Looking for link with caller ID's name

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by renegade, Oct 26, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. renegade

renegade Silver Meritorious Patron

A while ago, someone posted a link here that could ID who was calling me. It was a really good site that gave you the name of the caller.

I can't find it in the search bar. If anyone remembers it, can you please post it here again? Thanks!

2. Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie Patron with Honors

Any reverse number look up will work or google the phone number.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Yep I don't remember it but just try typing the phone number into your browser for a search

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Poop Poop x 1
    • List
  4. renegade

When I google the number, I get web sites that ask for membership fees or a one time cost to say who is calling.

There was a post on ESMB that had a website that gave the information for free. Does anyone remember that post/link?

5. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

I don't know a "free" reverse look-up website, but when I get a particularly annoying (or mysterious) call, what I have done successfully is simply type in that number on a Google search with one or two other descriptive words. That pulls up WHO it is most of the time (for free)

Examples of GOOGLE search parameters:

(217) 392-2977 complaints, scam
    (800) 392-2977 Scientology​
    (217) 392-2977 fraud, spam​

There are lots of other combinations of words you can search, but you get the idea. Hope this helps.

6. dchoiceisalwaysrs

I don't remember it and tried to find it. However, I tested this website on a phone number and it gave me the details.

https://www.whitepages.com try the basic feature

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  7. Leland

Leland Crusader

Spammers now routinely spoof phone numbers.

The trend seems to be to use a local to you number. Meaning ...the same prefix.

The Spammer could be across the Country....but they are able to have your caller ID show a local number.

Don't know how they do this....?

I had an irate phone call a couple weeks ago...and some lady said a salesman had called her....from my phone number.

I told her I hadn't....and she mentioned the above to me.

Looked around on the web....and found this to be true.

8. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Yes!
    Another story: My brother told me that one time he got a spam robocall where the caller ID was his own phone number.

9. renegade

That's what happened to me. Someone kept saying I called them and I wanted to see who this person was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. renegade

When I tried the number, this site wants me to pay for the info.

11. Leland

Leland Crusader

Sounds like someone got a call that was spoofed with your number...?

I also read that they don't usually use the number for very long....but rotate on to other numbers.

I'd just forget about it....probably won't happen again.

12. SouthernCanuck

SouthernCanuck Jabberwocky In-Training

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  13. dchoiceisalwaysrs

when you tried "the basic feature" That is what I used, got info and didn't have to pay. But on another number that I also tried the information was not available on the basic feature... Of course there is also no guarantee that even paying will yield the information you might be looking for.

14. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Help may be on the way.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-ajit-pai-takes-aim-at-the-robocall-epidemic/

///
    The framework is designed to “digitally validate the handoff of phone calls passing through the complex web of networks,” the FCC explained, “allowing the phone company of the consumer receiving the call to verify that a call is from the person supposedly making it.”

According to Reuters, “YouMail, a company that blocks robocalls and tracks them, estimated there were 5.1 billion unwanted calls last month, up from 3.4 billon in April.”
    ///

15. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

This post will be somewhat relevant.

I've posted before FCC and FTC rules on the combined DNC law.

False or no caller IDs are illegal. Unsolicited calls are illegal if you're on the DNC list. Robocalls are illegal. Hangups are illegal. The call is supposed to immediately connect you with a live person who immediately states who they are, who they represent and why they're calling. Any call is supposed to come from a nunber that you can call back and is answered by a human being during normal business hours.

If none of that is happening don't ever do business with them as they're already proven to operate outside of the law - knowingly. Any and all call centers intimately know the law.

16. programmer_guy

I get frequent Robocalls for home solar panels.
    And I am on the DNC list.

17. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

That's 2 strikes as robocalls, whether or not you're on the DNC list, are illegal. The only time robocalls are legal are to confirm appointments or something...never as an initial call.

18. programmer_guy

My understanding (maybe wrong) is that some robocalls are allowed IF the companies are associated and I have been a customer for one of them. Correct me if I am wrong on this particular detail.

19. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron with Honors

There was one time I used to receive robocalls early in the morning EVERY morning, for someone who no longer lived at that address, pursuing them for debt. I couldn't get rid of it. Eventually, I had to impersonate the person (by typing in their date of birth) so I could get through to a real person and get taken off the list. The calls still didn't stop for a while, even after that.

If I hadn't known the person's date of birth, presumably the calls would have gone on and on and on, with no way to stop them. I couldn't get through to a person until I typed in the date of birth. I do hope that kind of thing is illegal by now.

20. screamer2

screamer2 Occam's Ball Crusher

I have found that you can't trust links. They change too often.

You have to do a search when the links break or go away.

IMHO