What's new

Mark "Marty" Rathbun's Thirty-One Theses

Not to disagree with your point Veda - just to add that I talked to some FZers
over 10 years ago, and they were already very silly and deluded with their telepathic communication with Ron, space opera -as present time- etc.

Delusion has become so normalised amongst those who had extended contact with Scientology that some of the discussions, even on this board must look very weird, to non-exes-for the context of normailty in which they happen, even amongst those who are not actually deluded.

Challenge

Silver Meritorious Patron
Why do batterred wives go back to their husbands?
Why did the Jonestown crowd drink the Kool-Aid?
Why did you stay in the Church as long as you did?

Just sayin'.

You have no idea how many times I left the church.
I left around 1955.
The first time I resigned from the church was when the Founding church in Wa D.C. was raided. I don't recall the year.
I was out in 1967 when John Mac and Alan did their tour.
I blew the Flagship in 1971. ( I paid a Freeloader debt).
I resigned again in 1983.
You should know that until the heavy ethics of the SO came into power, a person could leave and return without much trouble.
When I wished to return in around 1976, it was adifferent ballgame than previously. I had to do the Conditions. But they really wanted me in the Org, so they made it easy for me to return. Continental Justice lowered my FL debt from something like 100 grand down to 4500. or so. The conditions were done in a couple days.
But it isn't about me. It is about Marty.

Chlng

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
It's just that a lot of people on this forum have been in a similar position as Marty, left after many years in the cult, in some cases waited to start critiquing, debating, etc- so it is relevant because we should not hold one person to a standard that we wouldn't impose on ourselves or our friends.

Challenge

Silver Meritorious Patron
Complex Question Fallacy. Presumes a fact not in evidence.

Unless you possess great psychic powers or are God, you have no knowledge of when Marty Rathbun first became "aware of DM's madness" beyond what he may choose to say about that in public statements.

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
I am *not* anonymous. I *do* forgive.

Of course I do possess great psychic powers. LOL. But aside from that, I read his post. Does it not indicate that he was aware of DMs madness for at the very least 20 years? Yep. Says so. Right there. "two decades, etc."

Chlng

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
It's just that a lot of people on this forum have been in a similar position as Marty, left after many years in the cult, in some cases waited to start critiquing, debating, etc- so it is relevant because we should not hold one person to a standard that we wouldn't impose on ourselves or our friends.

*Nobody* on this board, as far as we know anyway, has been in a position similar to Marty or (for that matter) Mike. Yes, many have had parts of their own actions within the Cult to regret and, in some cases, some may be hesitant to expose some part of their history, whether out of embarrassment or fear.

But, Marty and Mike are so different in *degree* as to actually be in a class by themselves. What they *could* reveal about Cult activities would represent a possibly fatal blow to the ongoing operations of the 'Church' of Scientology.

That they're out is good. That they've seen fit to at least 'confirm' what some other people, at great risk to themselves, have reported is also good.

But, that Marty Rathbun flat out *lies* about Scientology activity, and does so in a purely self-serving manner is a point that, disregarding for the moment the unwillingness to take responsibility for his Cult history, is dissimilar to anyone else posting here, and, to compare him to the people who *have* spoken out truthfully is an insult.

Zinj

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
*Nobody* on this board, as far as we know anyway, has been in a position similar to Marty or (for that matter) Mike. Yes, many have had parts of their own actions within the Cult to regret and, in some cases, some may be hesitant to expose some part of their history, whether out of embarrassment or fear.

But, Marty and Mike are so different in *degree* as to actually be in a class by themselves. What they *could* reveal about Cult activities would represent a possibly fatal blow to the ongoing operations of the 'Church' of Scientology.

That they're out is good. That they've seen fit to at least 'confirm' what some other people, at great risk to themselves, have reported is also good.

But, that Marty Rathbun flat out *lies* about Scientology activity, and does so in a purely self-serving manner is a point that, disregarding for the moment the unwillingness to take responsibility for his Cult history, is dissimilar to anyone else posting here, and, to compare him to the people who *have* spoken out truthfully is an insult.

Zinj

There are people who were in the cult for many years, long after they figured out something was wrong, who have specifically asked why Marty Rathbun did not leave sooner.

There simply isn't room for those people to point fingers.