Martha Marcy May Marlene

Discussion in 'Cults in General' started by guRl, Sep 16, 2016.

View Users: View Users
  1. guRl

guRl Patron with Honors

Boy oh boy, did that movie hunt me.
    I've actually watched it twice- once a couple of years ago, and the second time yesterday.
    It tells the story of a young girl escaping a cult, to live with her older sister. She manages to escape successfully only physically...
    Has any of you watched this movie? What do you think?
    I know the cult presented there is constructed completely differently then that of Scientology, and yet I couldn't help wondering if and how much former Scientology members could connect to what the main character is going through.

Here's the trailer:

<span lang="IT" style='margin: 0px; line-height: 107%; font-family: "David","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt;' dir="LTR"><font color="#000000">[video=youtube;0_k3wCsOgqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_k3wCsOgqk[/video]

2. guRl

guRl Patron with Honors

Hmm, maybe this should be moved to "Scientology General Discussion"? :unsure:

3. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Looks like no-one's interested in talking about it. I saw it a couple of years ago but since the only thing I remember is how pretty Elizabeth Olsen was I didn't think that was a comment worth making when I first saw this thread. :)

Paul

4. I saw it. I am an ex cult member and could relate to the immense amount of flashbacks she was having.

5. guRl

guRl Patron with Honors

Man, absolutely! She is simply gorgeous, that was almost distracting (;

Thanks incultrecovery! It seems so eerie and difficult to deal with, and I hope those very flashbacks have a way of fading with time :)

6. Hypatia

Hypatia Pagan

Saw it and liked it. Definitely had a Manson type vibe. I also think Elizabeth Olsen is more talented than her sisters. I've seen her in several movies.

7. guRl

guRl Patron with Honors

Oh, I agree. I've always rated the Olsen sisters' acting ability thus:

1. Elizabeth
    3. Mary-Kate
    0. Ashley

:biggrin: