What's new

Namaste!

7002778135_31a165393d_z.jpg

http://youtu.be/5ahAM-BpTSc

AN EXPOSITION OF THE METTA SUTTA, THE DISCOURSE ON LOVING-KINDNESS
________________________________________­_
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/M...

Metta Sutta
-----------
Some 500 monks who went into the jungle to practice meditation were disturbed and frightened by animals and social people, where­upon they returned and reported the matter to the Buddha. The Buddha then advised the monks to go back to the same place but armed with the sword of Metta (Loving-kindness) for their protection. The Buddha then delivered this Sutta to teach them how to practice this loving-kindness.

The monks returned to the jungle and radiated their loving-kindness to animals and social people and there­after they continued with their meditation without any hindrance. These same animals and social sprits who had earlier created disturbances, later repented and paid their respects to the monks.

This is, therefore, an important Sutta for the devotees to recite to radiate their loving-kindness to every living being. By doing so they can overcome any disturbances, find peace and happiness for themselves and help others to live peacefully by practicing this great virtue.

Pali: Karaniya mattha-kusalena Yantam santam padam abhi-samecca Sakko uju ca suju ca Suvaco cassa mudu anatimani

English Translation:

He who is skilled in what is good, And who wishes to attain that state of calm, Should act thus. He should be able, upright, Obedient, gentle and humble.

Pali: Santussako ca subharo ca
Appa-kicco ca sallahuka-vutti
Santindriyo ca nipako ca
Appa-gabbho kulesu ananu giddho

English:
Contented, easily supportable with few duties, Of right livelihood, controlled in senses, Discreet, not imprudent, Not to be greedily attached to families

Pali: Naca khuddham samacare kinci
Yena vinnu pare upava-deyyum
Sukhino va khemino hontu
Sabbe satta bhavantu sukhi-tatta

English: He should not commit any slight wrong, Such that other wise men might censure him. And he should think: May all beings be happy and secure; May their hearts be happy!

Pali: Ye keci pana bhu-tatthi
Tasava thavara va anava sesa
Digha va ye mahanta va
Majjhima rassa kanuka thula

English: Whatever living beings there are — Feeble or strong, long, stout or medium, Short, small or large, seen or unseen,

Pali: Dittha va yeva addittha
Ye ca dure vasanti avidure
Bhuta va sambhavesi va

English: Those dwelling far or near, Those who are born and those who are to be born; May all beings, without exception, Be happy-minded.

Pali: Na paro param nikubbetha
Nati-mannetha katthaci nam kanci
Byaro-sana patigha-sanna
Nanna-mannassa dukkha-miccheyya

English:Let no one neither deceive another, Nor despise any person whatever in any place, Either in anger or in ill will, Let one not wish any harm to another.

Pali: Mata yatha niyam puttam
Ayusa eka-putta-manu rakkhe
Evampi sabba-bhutesu
Manasam-bhavaye apari-manam

English: Just as a mother would protect her only child, Even at her own life's risk, So let him cultivate A boundless heart towards all beings.

Pali: Mettanca sabba lokasmin
Uddham adho ca tiriyanca
Asam-badham averam asa-pattam

English: Let his heart of boundless love, Pervade the whole world above, Below and across; with no obstruction, No hatred and no enmity.

Pali: Tittham caram nisinno va
Sayano va yava tassa vigata middho
Etam satim adhittheyya
Brahma metam viharam idha-mahu

English: Whether he stands, walks, sits or lies down; As long as he is awake, He should develop this mindfulness. This, they say is Divine Abiding here.

Pali: Ditthinca anupa gamma silava
Dassa-nena sampanno
Kamesu vineyya gedham
Nahi jatu gabbha seyyam punaretiti

English: Not falling into views, Being virtuous and endowed with insight, He gives up attachment to sense-desires. Truly, he does not come again to be conceived in a womb.

Pali: Etena sacca vajjena
Sotthi me hotu sabbada

- By the firm determination of this truth, May I ever be well.

:happydance:

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
http://youtu.be/5ahAM-BpTSc

AN EXPOSITION OF THE METTA SUTTA, THE DISCOURSE ON LOVING-KINDNESS
________________________________________­_
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/M...

Metta Sutta
-----------
Some 500 monks who went into the jungle to practice meditation were disturbed and frightened by animals and social people, where­upon they returned and reported the matter to the Buddha. The Buddha then advised the monks to go back to the same place but armed with the sword of Metta (Loving-kindness) for their protection. The Buddha then delivered this Sutta to teach them how to practice this loving-kindness.

The monks returned to the jungle and radiated their loving-kindness to animals and social people and there­after they continued with their meditation without any hindrance. These same animals and social sprits who had earlier created disturbances, later repented and paid their respects to the monks.

This is, therefore, an important Sutta for the devotees to recite to radiate their loving-kindness to every living being. By doing so they can overcome any disturbances, find peace and happiness for themselves and help others to live peacefully by practicing this great virtue.

Pali: Karaniya mattha-kusalena Yantam santam padam abhi-samecca Sakko uju ca suju ca Suvaco cassa mudu anatimani

English Translation:

He who is skilled in what is good, And who wishes to attain that state of calm, Should act thus. He should be able, upright, Obedient, gentle and humble.

Pali: Santussako ca subharo ca
Appa-kicco ca sallahuka-vutti
Santindriyo ca nipako ca
Appa-gabbho kulesu ananu giddho

English:
Contented, easily supportable with few duties, Of right livelihood, controlled in senses, Discreet, not imprudent, Not to be greedily attached to families

Pali: Naca khuddham samacare kinci
Yena vinnu pare upava-deyyum
Sukhino va khemino hontu

English: He should not commit any slight wrong, Such that other wise men might censure him. And he should think: May all beings be happy and secure; May their hearts be happy!

Pali: Ye keci pana bhu-tatthi
Tasava thavara va anava sesa
Digha va ye mahanta va
Majjhima rassa kanuka thula

English: Whatever living beings there are — Feeble or strong, long, stout or medium, Short, small or large, seen or unseen,

Pali: Dittha va yeva addittha
Ye ca dure vasanti avidure
Bhuta va sambhavesi va

English: Those dwelling far or near, Those who are born and those who are to be born; May all beings, without exception, Be happy-minded.

Pali: Na paro param nikubbetha
Nati-mannetha katthaci nam kanci
Byaro-sana patigha-sanna
Nanna-mannassa dukkha-miccheyya

English:Let no one neither deceive another, Nor despise any person whatever in any place, Either in anger or in ill will, Let one not wish any harm to another.

Pali: Mata yatha niyam puttam
Ayusa eka-putta-manu rakkhe
Evampi sabba-bhutesu

English: Just as a mother would protect her only child, Even at her own life's risk, So let him cultivate A boundless heart towards all beings.

Pali: Mettanca sabba lokasmin
Uddham adho ca tiriyanca
Asam-badham averam asa-pattam

English: Let his heart of boundless love, Pervade the whole world above, Below and across; with no obstruction, No hatred and no enmity.

Pali: Tittham caram nisinno va
Sayano va yava tassa vigata middho
Etam satim adhittheyya
Brahma metam viharam idha-mahu

English: Whether he stands, walks, sits or lies down; As long as he is awake, He should develop this mindfulness. This, they say is Divine Abiding here.

Pali: Ditthinca anupa gamma silava
Dassa-nena sampanno
Kamesu vineyya gedham
Nahi jatu gabbha seyyam punaretiti

English: Not falling into views, Being virtuous and endowed with insight, He gives up attachment to sense-desires. Truly, he does not come again to be conceived in a womb.

Pali: Etena sacca vajjena
Sotthi me hotu sabbada

- By the firm determination of this truth, May I ever be well.

:happydance:

Scn was supposed to be a scientific Buddhism, that's what I was told, and it eased me in. Looking back Love and Humility were two very lacking concepts in the pseudo science, pseudo religion.

It's Spring already in my garden...I have shamrocks and camellias blooming in lovely Southern California, and Robins and Blue Birds singing! :biggrin:

Snow still on our local mountain ranges...I like looking up at it (and not having to shovel it!) :happydance:

Sending warm thoughts to everyone who is still in winter mode...

The Groundhog DID see his shadow this year! :thumbsup:

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...tm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

160527135-614x384.jpg

Hometown views:

cal44.jpg

Orange-Groves-and-Mountains-0696.jpg

card00709_fr.jpg

orange-blossoms-785704.jpg

Last edited:

OldAuditor

Patron with Honors
Dear Sweetness and Light,

Your efforts to bring peaceful communication to the often troubled discussions of ESMB will eventually have the desired effect.

People are basically good and your posts are a gentle reminder that even in the most troubled hearts, there is potential for change.

After all, we are dealing with a great number of people who have been expertly worked over by the cult of invalidation and spiritual death and it may be a bit much for them to realize that discussions about spiritual things will not hurt them.

Your peaceful invitations to love one another may seem like they are falling on deaf ears or worse, perceived as a threat by those who still wear their SO identity, but the message will eventually get through.

Please continue and know that there are others who strongly support you even though they may be off in other venues where open discussion is encouraged.

David

Dear Sweetness and Light,

Your efforts to bring peaceful communication to the often troubled discussions of ESMB will eventually have the desired effect.

People are basically good and your posts are a gentle reminder that even in the most troubled hearts, there is potential for change.

After all, we are dealing with a great number of people who have been expertly worked over by the cult of invalidation and spiritual death and it may be a bit much for them to realize that discussions about spiritual things will not hurt them.

Your peaceful invitations to love one another may seem like they are falling on deaf ears or worse, perceived as a threat by those who still wear their SO identity, but the message will eventually get through.

Please continue and know that there are others who strongly support you even though they may be off in other venues where open discussion is encouraged.

David

:biggrin:

Thank you so very much, David and Dee Bee, for the encouragement and the support. We all need to hear that from time to time, don't we? :yes:

I really DO appreciate it! :)

I do wish you well. May all your ongoing discussions be fruitful ones! :happydance:

Good to know that you are still reading here! :thumbsup:

Two Cents

Patron with Honors
Namaste to you, too, S & L.

I have seen this thread for a while and it has always intrigued me that you used that beautiful word. I only ever hear it in yoga class, otherwise!
So, thanks for that, it's nice to see it here. Also, I read through your discussion, and although of course your situation is individual, and you seem to have come to a resolution about your friend who went back to working with the C of S, it still resonates with me. I have a child in the S.O. and after I stopped participating in the C of S, I went through a lot of what you seem to have gone through as well. One of my closest girlfriends is doing the Book One course, and until recently, my husband said he wanted to do the levels.

Quite an interesting scenario for one who has moved on, isn't it? But, with me, it is family, mostly, so I just choose to love through the disagreement. Because, to me, love trumps everything, and, they are my family, no matter what.

As you pointed out, each person makes their own decisions and it is their life, not mine. Do I wish it were different? Sure. I also wish my other child's college wasn't a private, out-of-state school, it would have been a lot less expensive! At this point, it seems like a lot of expensive life lessons are being learned, by those still in the C of S, those recovering and those observing it all. I do know when I was personally in the S.O., many years ago, I felt like I was doing the best thing I knew to contribute to humanity, and I felt honored to be able to do it, and my child feels that way now, I am pretty certain.
I left because I didn't feel I was up to it's standards, but the RPF was not something I felt okay about having anyone do, let alone myself. I am just not into that sort of punishment and degradation, for anyone. I guess I am too sweetness and light as well, or maybe just not into masochism and sadism.

My girlfriend wants to keep her friends, they are important to her, so she stays connected for that reason, but, she also stays connected to me for the same reason. My husband had a purpose for a long time to do the levels and doesn't like to let go of any purpose he has decided on. Now, he says that he is not going to put his attention on any "self-improvement" for a while. This is after he said he would just divorce me if it became a problem for him in the C of S that I was not going to participate! Ho hum. The marriage part of that relationship is definitely in dissolution, but the family aspect of it is still there, and we have always been friends, and still are. These are good people, and they value their friends, but they do not want to know about anything negative within or about the C of S, so they keep their heads in the sand to the best of their ability.

Honestly, I try to concentrate on the good things in each relationship and to heck with the rest. As I try to focus on the best of what I have with each of them, it is a learning experience every day, that is for sure. People do not always agree with what I do, either, and I make mistakes. I'm not perfect.

But I feel that sharing life peacefully is generally what keeps us alive on the planet, so I'm for it.

Love and Namaste,

Two Cents

Thank you for sharing that, Two Cents! In a way, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this! :yes:

I've been thinking about this topic a lot...not really about my Ex special person, but about those in and out and everywhere in between the COS.

I have recently spent some time around some former church members...seeing the good in them. Still wishing EVERYONE would leave the Cult, but feeling less constrained/conflicted about "holding my space" as a Critic, and also as a friend to Ex Scientologists...even those who still see the "good" in their experiences with the Cult.

Still sorting this all out. Very grateful I have no family members "in". Very glad I never got "in" myself. Sorry for my friends who lost family members to the Cult. Wishing for peace and freedom for everyone.

I happen to live in a place where there are A LOT of Exes. :coolwink:

Namaste to them all! :happydance: