What's new

New Haven Foreclosure

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is tomorrow. Pooks? Skydog? I don't burn gas so if it is me I will need to head out early.

Wants2Talk

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/CaseDetail/PublicCaseDetail.aspx?DocketNo=NNHCV106014252S

I read the bottom of the above referenced court page as indicating that the hearing has been continued to October 3, 2012 - no hearing tomorrow.

Am I reading this correctly?

p.s. My wife says I can't ride my bike to New Haven tomorrow. I found that keeping defiance to a minimum usually works for the best...unless there is a windmill at which to tip my mighty lance!

skydog

Patron Meritorious
http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/CaseDetail/PublicCaseDetail.aspx?DocketNo=NNHCV106014252S

I read the bottom of the above referenced court page as indicating that the hearing has been continued to October 3, 2012 - no hearing tomorrow.

Am I reading this correctly?

p.s. My wife says I can't ride my bike to New Haven tomorrow. I found that keeping defiance to a minimum usually works for the best...unless there is a windmill at which to tip my mighty lance!

Welcome to the CT judicial system. Savvy lawyers have learned that when a client is faced with the unpleasant consequences of their behavior, the best defense is to delay, delay, and delay until it can be delayed no longer. Then, in a final act of desperation, ask for yet another continuance. When the judgment eventually comes, there is always the appeal where, once again, delay, delay, delay is the best defense.

skydog

Patron Meritorious
Welcome to the CT judicial system. Savvy lawyers have learned that when a client is faced with the unpleasant consequences of their behavior, the best defense is to delay, delay, and delay until it can be delayed no longer. Then, in a final act of desperation, ask for yet another continuance. When the judgment eventually comes, there is always the appeal where, once again, delay, delay, delay is the best defense.

"The wheels of justice grind slowly but exceedingly fine." Once again, the New Haven foreclosure trial has been rescheduled until 2-26-13. I guess Kendrick and Helena have their hands full fighting those bad old SPs in Atlanta and can't make the 10-3 date.:biggrin:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Just to let you know that I have connections on the east coast that will remain undisclosed at this time and maybe even forever but based on first hand knowledge I received the knowledge obtained by one, that being myself, this lends creedence, to the ideaat least to moi, that the Church plans to fix these minor pesky foreclosure "kinks" and get the building up and running.

What I don't understand is why they are contracting with a firm located as far out of state as they are to do the work

I shall not disclose the name of the firm because if people raise fuss and contact them and try to get them to not do the work there are professional associates of mine who stand to lose making a profit from their work.

Wow, did I just say I don't trust people here?

Yeah what am I saying if that firm decides not to do the job the CHurch will just hire another firm.

Besides doesn't the church pay the contractors. I thought it was just the cities, townships etc that the church does not pay.

Well I might discuss it in a PM with someone and please I am not using this as an excuse to get into private discussions with people.

Okay back to whatever you were doing.

Rd00

skydog

Patron Meritorious
Just to let you know that I have connections on the east coast that will remain undisclosed at this time and maybe even forever but based on first hand knowledge I received the knowledge obtained by one, that being myself, this lends creedence, to the ideaat least to moi, that the Church plans to fix these minor pesky foreclosure "kinks" and get the building up and running.

What I don't understand is why they are contracting with a firm located as far out of state as they are to do the work

I shall not disclose the name of the firm because if people raise fuss and contact them and try to get them to not do the work there are professional associates of mine who stand to lose making a profit from their work.

Yeah what am I saying if that firm decides not to do the job the CHurch will just hire another firm.

Besides doesn't the church pay the contractors. I thought it was just the cities, townships etc that the church does not pay.

Well I might discuss it in a PM with someone and please I am not using this as an excuse to get into private discussions with people.

Rd00

I have heard, from discussions with the city's first attorney (the city hired new counsel earlier this summer) that the tax issue would probably be resolved. Legally, they are dead in the water but New Haven, a liberal hotbed with a long history of religious tolerance, will probably offer some settlement the church can live with.

As far as the firm hired to renovate the building, it is my understanding (from the depositions taken in the Atlanta zoning case) that there is one firm that essentially handles the plans for all the Ideal Orgs so I am assuming that is the firm you refer to.

Personally, it is my belief that it will be some time before there is any work on the building. If the renovations are being paid for with donations, that source is drying up quicker than an aging prostitute as membership in the organization plummets faster than a bowling ball in free fall.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have heard, from discussions with the city's first attorney (the city hired new counsel earlier this summer) that the tax issue would probably be resolved. Legally, they are dead in the water but New Haven, a liberal hotbed with a long history of religious tolerance, will probably offer some settlement the church can live with.

As far as the firm hired to renovate the building, it is my understanding (from the depositions taken in the Atlanta zoning case) that there is one firm that essentially handles the plans for all the Ideal Orgs so I am assuming that is the firm you refer to.

Personally, it is my belief that it will be some time before there is any work on the building. If the renovations are being paid for with donations, that source is drying up quicker than an aging prostitute as membership in the organization plummets faster than a bowling ball in free fall.

Can you do me a favor and look at the website of the construction company you have as being the company and tell me if the website lists Church of Scientology in their lists of projects done.

The construction company I have been given the name of does not have any previous CoS projects listed on the company website.

Rd00

skydog

Patron Meritorious
Can you do me a favor and look at the website of the construction company you have as being the company and tell me if the website lists Church of Scientology in their lists of projects done.

The construction company I have been given the name of does not have any previous CoS projects listed on the company website.

Rd00

The architectural firm is Gensler which has numerous offices. The person working on the ideal orgs is Laurence Stumbke. This information is contained in the deposition of Robert Wright.

http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/RLUIPA/12-21-2010_44-2.pdf

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
The architectural firm is Gensler which has numerous offices. The person working on the ideal orgs is Laurence Stumbke. This information is contained in the deposition of Robert Wright.

http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/RLUIPA/12-21-2010_44-2.pdf

Okay so it would seem that Gensler is the architect and this company that is supposed to be set up to do the construction does list list Gensler on their site as an architect that they have done construction projects for.

But the New Haven building might well be the first project that this construction company is doing for Gensler where it involves work on a Church of Scientology structure because I think they have views of all the projects they have done for Gensler and there are no CoS projects.

Rd00

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Rd00

Well, with comments like this ( bold), we know your priorities.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, with comments like this ( bold), we know your priorities.

Yeah I hate being between a rock and a hard place. But I do like my priorities that I do.

By the way when I mention "people here" you do realize that this statement also covers people who do not "post" here.

Rd00

skydog

Patron Meritorious

The case was withdrawn in December 2012. http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=5614655

If someone could cross post this at Reaching for the Tipping Point and WWP, I would appreciate it; I have lost my passwords for those forums. Thanks.

secretiveoldfag

Link still broken.

So after all that New Haven let COS off the hook amirite? How much did this cost local taxpayers? Not to mention legal costs for hearings.

Wants2Talk

Is there precedent for this?

Would have been the decision of corporate council for the town of New Haven?

Do the people of New Haven know about this?

Should the press be called?

skydog

Patron Meritorious
Is there precedent for this?

Would have been the decision of corporate council for the town of New Haven?

Do the people of New Haven know about this?

Should the press be called?

Any party can fire one lawyer and hire another. As to who and why the decision was made is anyone's guess. I have my opinion but no evidence to back it up. I am assuming that the church paid one year's taxes and another was forgiven (from previous lawyer). It is rare that a defense exists to a foreclosure action (you either owe the money or you don't; there is or is not a valid lien on the underlying property). Here, the church filed a counter-claim. In my opinion it lacked merit but it is enough to bring both parties to the table. The courts in CT are overburdened and encourage settlements.