New member. Currently reading Dianetics...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bonaqua, Sep 6, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. bonaqua

bonaqua New Member

Greetings!

The reason I registered on this board is that I'm basically trying to cheapskate my way through scientology. I've heard it's very expensive so I'm scared to even visit the Scientology shop in my city.

I would appreciate any advice on how to educate myself without the expenses

So far I have:

• I borrowed Dianetics from the library
    • I got the two hour long "How to do dianetics" dvd through torrents
    • Found a two hour lecture by David Mayo on how to use dianetics without an e-meter

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • List
  2. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

You came to the right place for cheap advice.

• LOL LOL x 8
    • Love Love x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. exbritscino

exbritscino Patron with Honors

My best advice is don't bother educating yourself on the subject at all!! It's all one big juicy SCAM.

As you're on this site, and possibly others, why don't you spend time educating yourself with the various horror stories that people have written? About how the subject screws up peoples' lives..... About how it makes families disconnect....... About how it fleeces people of EVERYTHING they own and leaves them with HUGE debts...........

If you feel that the subject might be of benefit to you, (and I'm not denying that some people have had good results from it, so good luck to them), then I suggest you go to an independent scientology group. They apparently offer courses and services at a fraction of the cost of the "church".

Whatever you do, DO NOT contact a $cientology organisation. It'll be the biggest mistake of your life. Believe me...............

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  4. Bill

Bill Gold Meritorious Patron

Every statement made by Hubbard in Dianetics is a lie. Now, you can continue your studies.

EDIT: Specifically:
    • There are no such things as "locks", "secondaries" or "engrams".
    • There is no such thing as the "reactive mind".
    • Hubbard's "erasure" isn't a thing.
    • "Clear" (as defined in Dianetics) does not happen through Dianetics (or Scientology)
    • Nothing Hubbard claims was researched or proven.
    • Hubbard never created a "Clear".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

If you are studying Dianetics because you are trying to understand the nature of the scam and high controlling cults then that is a valid reason to do so. Dianetics is bait. It is the opening to the rabbit hole. There are lots of promises but no verifiable results.

If you want to jump to the end to see where you will be 400-500k later see the OT Levels here:

https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Church_of_Scientology_collected_Operating_Thetan_documents

If you want a 3 feet behind your head viewpoint of all of it read A Piece of Blue Sky:

http://www.instinct.org/texts/bluesky/contents.htm

If you contact the organization I strongly suggest reading some of the many threads here where people are discussing how to get off of their mailing and phone lists. They skip trace you like they own you for the rest of your life.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  6. strativarius

strativarius Comfortably Numb

Educate yourself on the subject by all means, learn all you can about it if you wish, but understand that the claims are bogus and the so-called 'religion' is a scam. Take it from the thousands of contributors to this website that the promises are just empty. Nobody is paying them to refute the claims of scientology, they are simply telling the truth in the hope that they might prevent others from making the same mistake they did in getting ensnared.

You will simply become trapped in a 'prison of belief' if you stray too far from the straight and narrow. You have been warned. :Insert scary skull & crossbones icon here:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. Bill

You'd be much better off studying "cults", "logic" (and "illogics") and "rhetoric", so you wouldn't be fooled by bogus claims.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  8. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Scientology seeks to exploit the "abreactive" process. (Unearthing previously buried trauma with subsequent relief.)

A suffering soul is helped by a cult leader and becomes his slave.

The term engram predates Dianetics. Hubbard P-T.-Barnumized it and cultified it.

In his 1923 book, 'The Mneme', Richard Semon used the term engram, which he considered to be a "stimulus impression" that could be reactivated by the recurrence of "the energetic conditions that ruled at the generation of the engram."

The author of Science and Sanity, Alfred Korzybski. used the term "hurts," and wrote in 1935:

"...We begin to check this... process of piling up 'hurts' on 'hurts'... new 'hurts', in practice, are usually related or similar to the old ones; they would revive the older 'hurts'. Accordingly, he [the person undergoing abreaction would] not only 'live through' the older experiences but at once revive them, and after re-evaluation, eliminate the harmful effects."

The chapter 'Origins of Dianetics' in the book 'L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman? contains more info.

The information you have is mostly Dianetics circa 1950, with prenatals, sperm dreams, Attempted Abortion engrams, etc.

There no doubt are such things as "hurts" and such things as traumatic experiences. Hubbard extrapolated from this and while he, IMO, did have some innovative moments, he also had a self-serving hidden agenda, an agenda that affected Dianetics and Scientology since their earliest beginnings.

If you're considering entering the wonderful wacky world of Scientology, strongly recommend first reading this short article: Ex Scientologist - The Scientological Onion

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  9. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Silver Meritorious Patron

Hi!!!

I'm an auditor from the early seventies and I wish I could in good conscience give enthusiastic recommendation to the stuy of auditing in a CLV org...

But I can't

But if you want to study auditing and Hubbard's work you should pair up ("twin") with someone and do the Academy levels 0-IV at an "outer org"

Do not go to Clearwater and if you have never used LSD I suggest you sample a small dose (50-80 micrograms) to innoculate yourself against Sea Org recruiters.

Whatever you do or don't do I very highly recommend the book "Science of Survival". It has some flaws and Veda will be happy to tell you of it's worst but flaws notwithstanding I consider it to be nothing less than the finest basic handbook of human psychology ever written.

Also...

Take the HQS course. One of the best bargains on the planet IF studied well...

• Poop x 7
    • WTF? x 2
    • LOL x 1
    • Huh? x 1
    • Tinfoil x 1
    • List
  10. Bill

This could be the very worst advice this person could get. You are telling him to go directly into the trap and become brainwashed by experts.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • List
  11. Clay Pigeon

Aww, c'mon Bill...

You wouldn't say taking a mild hit of acid to innoculate against Sea Org recruiters is bad advice would you?

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Huh? Huh? x 1
    • List
  12. screamer2

screamer2 Occam's Ball Crusher

Where is this acid of which you speak? I could use a few hits of four-way windowpane*.

*asking for a friend

• LOL LOL x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  13. Clay Pigeon

I haven't seen windowpane for decades

If you're anywhere near the haight-ashbury stop by and I can hook you up

Other than that, just look for people with gray hair wearing tie-dye t-shirts; most of them can set you up so long as they are confident you aren't trying to set them up

We're not hard to find.

We are EVERYWHERE!

14. pineapple

pineapple Patron Meritorious

That's the only part of what you said I'd agree with, CP.

Welcome to the board, @bonaqua. I'm also an auditor from the 70's, and I second everything said here except for CP's comments (except for the acid).

By all means go ahead and read Dianetics, but keep in mind that it's mostly bullshit. Hubbard was a chronic liar. Also it bears little resemblance to dianetics as practiced in CoS today, or 40 years ago.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  15. screamer2

screamer2 Occam's Ball Crusher

My advice is:

NEVER! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER! Visit clams on their own territory.

And DO NOT ever give them your telephone number, real name, email address, or mailing address.

You can thank me later. Right now, get your ducts in roe and pull your head out of your...

You get the idea, I'm sure.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. pineapple

pineapple Patron Meritorious

True. It may be inexpensive at the entry level, but quickly becomes more so. Some have spent 100's of thousands, even millions, on scn, with little or nothing to show for it.

You should be scared to visit the scn shop in your city, or any other. Though it's unlikely this would happen to you on an initial visit, scngsts have been known to physically detain people trying to leave the premises. I did this myself on two occasions (once to a public student). They believe it's your reactive mind, your engrams, making you want to leave.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

Stay away from any "org" and any "Scientologist" whether they are "Independents" or officially sanctioned members.

These people are well oiled and greased and have been professionally groomed to set deep hooks and squeeze every last bit of equity from a mark. Their entire career, status, marriage and quality of life rises or sinks depending on how much money they extract from "raw" public.

Do NOT go there or even open dialogue with these people until you are well-versed. It is extremely dangerous as you have no idea how you are perceived behind closed doors...very unhealthy.

OK, that being said go ahead and read Dianetics and Science of Survival and notice how "scientifically" these are laid out. Then read History of Man and Have You Lived Before and Fundamentals of Thought notice how whacky these are.

Scientology is NOT Dianetics...Scientology is the whacky "doll body" stuff.

You must absolutely read Veda's suggested material. That is what Scientology is.

Also, L. Ron Hubbard Junior did an interview in 1983 through Penthouse magazine. Read this. As far out and crazy as it is I've come to discover that every outlandish claim that I've been able to verify was true as he presented it. I haven't been able to verify all of it but what I've been able to has been truthfully told by this guy in this interview.

I suggest reading ALL of the Dianetics books as well as the Scientology books as they'll all be available at the library.

Then come back here and talk about the claims and what you've read with the people that were there as staff and public...many knew Hubbard.

A good comparison would be to read Scientology Ethics and pay attention to any and all morality nuances that Hubbard writes about in Dianetics and Science of Survival and then come here and talk with Phenomena who knew Hubbard.

For instance, read what Hubbard writes about abortions and children and then come here to see what happens in his "church" regarding abortions and children.

Two things:

#1. Actions speak louder than words...this is where "practice what you preach" stems from. What are the actions of Hubbard's church vs the words? You'll discover that here.

#2. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. See how Hubbard wrangled and mangles that with "open mindedness" and other criticisms. If one has nothing to hide the goods are out in the open for all to see. There should be tests for "stably exterior with full perception" and there are none. If it actually worked...if it actually happens or occurs Scientology would be plastering that proof everywhere. Instead, there is none. There are no actions...merely words.

Finally, pay attention to what L. Ron Jr says about Scientology not being spiritual but actually addressing the ego.

A great exercise for me was a 3 book series from a psychiatrist named David Hawkins. The books are based on applied kinesiology and the method as described in the books doesn't work. I know because I attempted it multiple times...it's all wooo. However, the benefit I got from them was the description of the ego and the comparison between spiritual and ego. Reading these and then looking at Scientology's presentation of Hubbard and Miscavige and events and statuses and the focus on money, image and celebrities...it's ALL ego.

Those books are the 1st 3 in the Power vs Force series.

All of these books, both Scientology and Hawkins, probably exist as free pdfs, in the library or real cheap on eBay or Amazon.

Look up and define "spiritual materialism". That's what Scientology is.

It suckerpunches by playing into your ego greed and lust, convincing you that you're brilliant, moral and good and immensely powerful and then it sucks you dry and at the end Scientology acts like the victim and blames you.

Vicious, evil cult that is designed to suck every dime out of you for Hubbard's greed. When they say "Scientology works"...well...it does work exactly as intended as it will leave you as a penniless husk just they way it is designed to.

There are no stably exterior OTs running around at Cause over Matter, Energy, Space and Time...reading thoughts and telekinesis. If there were they'd all be Loto winners or kicked out of Vegas.

Finally, if Scientology actually worked this website wouldn't be here, Leah Remini's show wouldn't be on the air (the Aftermath), the ever growing list of horror story books wouldn't exist and the world would be getting saner with less crime and that would be directly tied to wherever Scientology operated.

Instead, it's just the reverse. You must see the outcome...the results...the actions and not pay attention to what Hubbard writes and claims...those are the words and the words and claims aren't backed up with any evidence and instead of creating a world devoid of insanity, war and crime Scientology creates insanity by daily commiting crimes and being at and declaring war on anything, anyone, everything and everyone. The atmosphere on staff at a Scientology "church" is a hectic clime of dire emergencies and super human sacrifice "for the effort" or it swings over to a complete empty period like spending a day in a grave yard...it's an insane asylum, an active war zone and a crime in progress all rolled into one.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  18. freethinker

freethinker Crusader

Start here, it is probably the cheapest and best education you can get in Scientology. However, you may have to have gut busting engrams run out from laughing too hard, so CAUTION, may lead to forgetting about the book with a volcano and following hobos for long periods.

By the way, the cover of Dianetics is actually how the saga ends after about a million dollars debt. It's true.

19. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

During my 18 years as a trained member of Scientology, I spent about 1 year selling over 5,000 Dianetics books to people curious about the mind. I convinced them that the book would help them, and help them to help and understand others. But I was wrong. I later came to see that the book is filled with inaccurate and often dangerous information that can mess up a person’s mind. I regret deeply that I sold false promises.

Your mind is a precious thing to protect. Nothing in that book will provide you with the things you desire from it. Hubbard wants you to believe but the evidence shows that nothing but mental manipulation occurs, and one is unaware while it is occurring.

There are many wise and experienced former members here who can help guide you in the direction of good reading material and therapies that do help.

What is it you seek?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  20. strativarius

strativarius Comfortably Numb

Yes, but mainly in a time-warp. :biggrin:

• LOL LOL x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List