What's new

Not a cult as such, but could become one...

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Sorry folks, somethings all cocked up here.

Have deleted until things are sorted.

Someone was plugging a "cure" for Alzheimers. I thought it was a scam.

It had all scientifical langayouage and stuff, but all spelt out bullshit as well. I wanted to show it to Udarnik, seeing as he plugged big pharma to be the villain here, but the website hijacked my computer for a bit, so I'm afraid I dare not share it here.
Alexander...sumshit, can't remember his last name.

Keep clear of this crap.

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor
Sorry folks, somethings all cocked up here.

Have deleted until things are sorted.

Someone was plugging a "cure" for Alzheimers. I thought it was a scam.

It had all scientifical langayouage and stuff, but all spelt out bullshit as well. I wanted to show it to Udarnik, seeing as he plugged big pharma to be the villain here, but the website hijacked my computer for a bit, so I'm afraid I dare not share it here.
Alexander...sumshit, can't remember his last name.

Keep clear of this crap.

Alzheimers cure or better treatment has had articles in most
UK papers this last week.This website gives some sort of
overview, including from the heavyweight science magazine
"Nature".

http://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/about-us/latest/news/?gclid=CMH3ysW9884CFVQo0wodLbsDIA

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Alzheimers cure or better treatment has had articles in most
UK papers this last week.This website gives some sort of
overview, including from the heavyweight science magazine
"Nature".

http://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/about-us/latest/news/?gclid=CMH3ysW9884CFVQo0wodLbsDIA

I think the results are interesting enough to go into Nature, but there should have been an accompanying editorial highlighting what John Carroll notes here:

First, while amyloid beta deposits are a well defined target, it’s also not universally accepted as the sole cause of Alzheimer’s. There are some who believe it may not be involved at all, pointing to patients who have the clusters in their brains but no symptoms of dementia. In addition, the researchers carefully noted that the study with 165 patients was not powered to provide clear evidence of efficacy.

The way things work in science is that these kinds of results are usually first published as a poster or podium talk at a medical conference. By the time that's done, the manuscript with many more details should be in press. The detailed paper can then be disseminated to and dissected by the healthcare community.

What Biogen did here was hype these results as if they're something new (they were released at a conference months ago) to snooker unwary investors into spiking their stock price. And as noted above, the Amyloid Hypothesis is just that: a hypothesis. It may be more effect than cause - the real cause of Alzheimers might not be amyloid proteins, in fact a hidden real cause might be behind both the spike in amyloid and the dementia, but the two effects may have nothing to do with each other, so reducing the amyloid might have no clinical impact on the disease. This study was so small and in patients with such early disease, it would be hard to detect even a major clinical impact, which is why it's labeled a "1b" trial instead of a "2a" trial.

John was not amused at the stock price shenanigans:

Biogen execs knew exactly what they were doing when they heralded the publication of early Alzheimer’s data for aducanumab. By pushing some very thin results from a small study back into the spotlight, old claims about cognitive trends were transformed into new headlines about a cure. The company, which has been struggling to spark fresh enthusiasm for its risky pipeline, wasn’t able to get any boost out of it from Wall Street, where analysts were acutely aware of the sham. Patients and families, though, were likely tricked by the dog and pony show into believing some new wonder drug lay just on the horizon. The whole thing was shameful, and Biogen is complicit in spurring the media show.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
OK, the guy fronting it is Alexander Lynch and his website was called a memory healer. diet related with a bloody long boring video full of marketing hype and claims.