NPR Article: Can A Television Network Be A Church? The IRS Says Yes

Discussion in 'Legal and Government Actions Involving Scientology' started by tetloj, Apr 3, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

My first thread! :redface:

Ms B Haven on the bunker posted a comment about this which has received little ensuing discussion.

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/01/282496855/can-a-television-network-be-a-church-the-irs-says-yes

This thread could possibly be titled - why we shouldn't expect the IRS to act any time soon.

Or, we could be more optimistic and think of this as another step towards greater scrutiny of the tax exempt sector (if public outrage ensues)

The article looks at financial documents that have become public via a court case against the TV Network Daystar. The records and article suggest that Daystar is more of a business than a church - sound familiar?

fair use snippets:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. chipgallo

chipgallo Patron Meritorious

I heard parts of this series this week on NPR and it is an eye opener, especially for those who have not dealt with a corporate entity such as Scientology, Inc. My take-away is that Congress will need to push the IRS into doing something about the abuse of church status. They referred to the so-called "14 rules" that help determine whether or not the organization qualifies (has services, parishioners, etc.). If the organization management decides to engage in Religious Cloaking to skip paying taxes, filing a 990 and so on, the IRS needs to ferret out that deception and deny the exemption. Even better would be to roll back to when the fraud first occurred and collect ALL the money owed from that point forward.

3. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

And even better than that...

Prosecute the offending organizations to the fullest extent of the law.
    :thumbsup:

4. chipgallo

IANAL but I believe you prosecute individuals, not organizations. There is a very short list of people who would take the fall on this one, eh?

5. Type4_PTS

I believe that it depends upon the jurisdiction.

In one of the cases where Narconon was alleged to have committed insurance fraud, it could have been prosecuted because under Georgia law you can charge a corporation, but the District Attorney chose not to do so.
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/09/25/na...t-down-in-georgia-has-court-loss-in-oklahoma/

6. secretiveoldfag

secretiveoldfag Silver Meritorious Patron

Can you show that the DA is wrong?

7. chipgallo

How does a corporation do time in a federal prison?

8. Type4_PTS

It was a very clear cut case of insurance fraud to the tune of millions of dollars but I don't know what the guidelines are that the DA operates under that allows him to cut a deal.

9. secretiveoldfag

secretiveoldfag Silver Meritorious Patron

I don't claim to understand why the case was dismissed but it was disappointing, to say the least. But I hope next time (there will certainly BE a next time) the plaintiff's lawyer gets it right.

10. Type4_PTS

By turning the corporate headquarters into a federal prison. :biggrin:

Just bar the windows and doors and add in some prison guards.

I believe that David Miscavinger is available as a consultant on this subject.