PAC 1977 Rock Slam RPF - Wayne Marple

Discussion in 'Staff "War Stories"' started by TheOriginalBigBlue, May 29, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

In 1977 the RPF in PAC swelled to around 150-200 people due to false Rock Slam and Dirty Needle e-meter reads during Security Checks. This was conveniently coincident with the demand for personnel to work on renovations for the Cedars Complex. As I understand it, Wayne Marple was a central figure in this RPF during the initial build-up and MOPM (Mission Operations PAC Move) was overseeing the projects being performed by the RPF in preparation for LAO, ASHO, AOLA, FOLO, etc. There was also an RPF's RPF and an RPF's RPF's RPF.

I have attached a few references below. (Please use the links to see the complete postings). Detailed information has been coming out about the RPF on the ships and after LRH died at Int/Gold but I am hoping we can learn more about the developments leading up to and pertaining to this between period at PAC. Most of the people who were there would now be 60 - 75 years old and the window for archiving this experience is closing.

There were formal internal declarations that eventually came out condemning some of these actions but apparently nothing substantial enough to prevent the later abuses at Int with the Hole.

Metropolis Shift Change.jpg

RPF's RPF and the RPF
[20 Sep 1996]
    The restrictions applied to people assigned to the RPF's RPF are...

Re: Which way did he (LRH) go?
[17 Dec 1996]
    The RPF was the LARGEST ORGANIZATION IN PAC at that time with 200
    staff in $igh'ntology's PRISON for "rehabilitation".

Re: "I'm a cult veteran -- and I'm one tough son of a bitch" 
[28 May 1997]
    I describe conditions in the RPF.

Re: Hubbard's Gulags: RPF's RPF (RVY)
[24 Sep 1997]
    I have seen RPF members work 30 hours straight with only 3 hours allowed for sleep,
    until another 30-hour stretch was ordered, for days on end.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Welcome. I believe this had been posted about before but not in recent times. It would be good it you commented on what you feel about the information, rather than just copying and pasting the long version here without comment.

That was was written by Mark Plummer who added the church FO and it posted at a website which is outside the long arm of the law in the USA. The church was suing people for copyright infringement during the time Mark posted it. There haven't been any recent copyright lawsuits lately but the church does try and is able to get it's 'works' taken down when it presents a problem for the church or they want to hassle the person for posting it.

Not sure if you know this but people usually don't read long posts and often they are protested by readers as too long. it's an internet thing and generally a potential copyright issue. Ever read see this? " Too long; didn't read (abbreviated tl;dr and tldr) "

I appreciate what you are trying to do, to share important information others would be interested in if they have not seen it already, but try not to copy/paste more than a short excerpt of what you found - providing a link - if you want people to read it and don't want people getting upset with you for writing long posts that take time to read, when they can just read them at the link when they have time and then comment here on it.

3. Francois Tremblay

Francois Tremblay Patron with Honors

These are all about the RPF's RPF. I didn't see anything in any of these articles about Wayne Marple.

4. TheOriginalBigBlue

My apologies. I have read a lot of material recently and did see several references to Wayne and the PAC RPF but now I am not sure where to find them. I will post links here if I see them again and I hope others will do the same. Wayne was on a mission and although he was a central figure he was behind the scenes. I am hoping someone who has more specific knowledge of the events leading up to the formation of the RPF at this time will contribute. This seems to be a difficult history to reveal and I think for good reason:

The obvious desire to stay off the Church's radar.

It has been a long time and many people moved on with their lives without looking back and they remained quiet out of regard for other family members and friends who were still on-lines.

It is difficult to describe these experiences without naming people or giving enough detail to be identified.

This RPF was difficult and there probably were some cases of extreme abuse but it may not have been as abusive in general as some of the ship stories or the later Hole period. Although people may have been assigned frivilously or in error, on paper the RPF just sounds like a boot camp with a study period as opposed to a gulag. If this "model RPF" was an individual's experience then they probably would not be so inclined to discuss it.

The RPF's RPF was much smaller with fewer people to tell the story and the RPF's RPF's RPF was even smaller and I believe conducted for a relatively short time.

Many of these people were veteran executives who probably went back to post after the RPF out of an earnest conviction to support the cause.

5. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Crusader

6. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

I recall that some staff were sent to Flag to be trained for a "confidential" mission around 1977-78. When they returned, I was ordered to cull r/s lists from staff pc folders. These were used in session to see if you were up to snuff. I'm not sure what criteria were used but many staff were sent to RPF. I recall that I had one r/s that was checked but I apparently passed muster and remained on staff. I don't recall being given a Sec Check.

7. TheOriginalBigBlue

I believe the PAC RPF was already building up in 1976 and really accelerated in 77 but I'm not sure.

Were these people who went to Flag part of Marple's mission team or working under its orders?

By culling folders, were they looking for existing r/s from prior sessions or were they just checking everyone?

Was there any reason given for this particular general review?

I seem to recall mention of a female auditor who was blamed for many of the false reads that resulted in RPF assignment but there were so many it was difficult for anyone to comprehend how it could be possible.

Please just answer what you feel comfortable with.

8. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

It was hush-hush. I don't know the specifics other than what i related. I was just a go-fer.

My job was to find the r/s lists if they weren't in the current folder and then cull the session notes that had r/s reads from past folders.

In my session, the auditor recounted the notes surrounding the r/s, fished for considerations and put in the usual buttons (not-is, suppressed, etc). That's all I can recall about that. There might have been some sec-checky questions but not a lot.

9. Bea Kiddo

Bea Kiddo Crusader

Although I was a child at the time, my mother was in the Sea Org (and I was a Sea Org kid), she was sent to the RPF for having a Rock Slam. These RPF assignments were from around 1977 to 1979. In '79 LRH (or whoever.... who knows really who it was for sure) found that many people who had a dirty needle were being labeled rock slammers and sent to the RPF. They determined that these interviewers and auditors were not reading the meters correctly and there was a mass exodus of Sea Org members off the RPF because they were not actually rock slammers.

10. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Wayne Marple was under orders from Captain Bill, who was under direct orders of Hubbard.

Captain Bill Robertson was assigned responsibility by Hubbard for completion of the renovations at PAC and the smooth transition of moving in each of the orgs in sequence and continue production.

They did not have the people to renovate when lo and behold! A new tek discovery that relabels dirty needles as R/Ses. A quote from the old man, a reference that had not been followed. Somehow David Mayo was involved, but I remember something about him disagreeing that a dirty needle was an R/S, then suddenly it all got blamed on him.

Then by one of those common miraculous supposed miracles of Scientology, it took two years to get this corrected and meanwhile, any staff member who said anything but 'yes sir!' was suspected of bad intentions, sent for sec checks, and if you could dirty up his needle (like Wayne Marple did) you got another free slave for renovations on 4 hrs sleep per night, crashing out for5 mins on the sunny.

Everyone was terrified of being sent to the RPF. And when the renovations were done, the tek was corrected. :eye roll:

11. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

I meant crashing on the sunny. Can't seem to edit afterward from an iPad.

Boot camp! What bullshit. That RPF at PAC in 1977 was brutal. I saw the victims, I saw them on 4 hrs sleep per night for months and months,forced to run and work as fast as possible to meet impossible targets with the worst tools and almost no training. Boot camp? That RPF could break most people and did. They did not "go back to post". They were not "mostly executives." the RPF was about 200 prisoners strong on hard labour for two years with sleep deprivation. Most blew.

12. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

What's a sunny? Never heard that before

13. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Wayne used to be on staff back at the New York org in the late sixties. He was the Dir of Training I think. A class 4 auditor? Anyway, Hubbard had just released the HCOB flying rudes, and if you have ever read the damn thing - it was not written in the easiest manner. I only understood it when I thought of it as being written by someone for whom english was a second language. Wayne was stumped by the academy's inability to fly rudes or understand the HCOB. So he got a large chalk board and diagrammed and explained the HCOB to the entire academy. Previous to this, the students were doing itsa earlier similar itsa. Do you have an arcx? Is there an earlier similar arcx? etc. He got the academy to do it, I'll say that.

He was kind of a take charge guy. I knew of him, but not much more than that, except he was part of the bed hopping scene that went on at that time.

if you know more about him, please post it.

Mimsey

14. TheOriginalBigBlue

Just guessing but if I were going to complete that sentence it would be "on the sunny roof of the Main Building".

15. Veda

Veda Sponsor

How true. :)

'Brainwashing in Scientology's Rehabilitation Project Force' by Professor Stephen Kent:

http://www.solitarytrees.net/pubs/skent/brain.htm

16. TheOriginalBigBlue

Thank you JustShiela! I was hoping to stimulate some heart felt discussion here. Maybe I have just not seen it but there does seem to be a dearth of coverage and detail on this history. I'm not trying to rationalize this or any RPF but given how brutal it was - why so little information?

From what I understand about the Hole, wasn't this a bit different?

I remember hearing something about a girl who was Type III and being held somewhere under guard but it was like a rumor and the skinny for staff consumption was that the church was better qualified to treat psychotics so they wouldn't be abused by psychiatry or some-such. At Int they had 100 or more people locked up for months, maybe years.

The PAC RPF ate after the rest of the crew and in a separate mess but I don't recall anything like what was described on the ships or the Hole. Were they eating left-overs from people's plates or slop out of a bucket?

The first I ever heard of these brutal "Group Confessionals" was out of the Hole. I never heard about that at PAC.

They were supposed to have study and co-audit time. What happened with that?

They berthed in the morgue but I would like someone to come on and explain exactly why that was so terrible. It had metal body drawers and autopsy tables but was it infested, over-crowded, no ventilation, under lock and key, etc?

There are postings here about how Capt. Bill implemented the schedule for AO renoes, I think it was something like 30 on and 3 off but LAO and ASHO had been in progress for a long time before that so there might have been a period where the RPF was attempting to be run as an actual standard program. It would be nice to know if it was complete unmitigated hell right out of the gate or if it devolved and how that happened, etc.

From my very limited perspective I consider this period to be a kind of precedent or pilot for what was to develop into the Hole and I think it deserves more coverage.

I'm glad to hear that many blew. I hope we can hear from some of them.

Again, I'm not a justifier here. As I've mentioned previously my personal record for working without sleep was 131 hours. Actually I'd say a full six days and that wasn't even on the RPF.

17. TheOriginalBigBlue

I did get on Wayne's radar one day front and center in a big way. As much as I'd like to tell the whole story, everyone would know exactly who I was and I'm just not ready to go there yet. I knew his sister Diane better and maybe my memory is fuzzy but I seem to recall her also wearing a blue boiler suit.

So Wayne's background was tech oriented. I think LRH was staying in LaQuinta during the 76-77 period and he had a vested interest in both the Complex and remaining fabian while only 2 hours away. Knowing how paranoid he was now, my assumption would be that he personally initiated the r/s review specifically to weed out any threats to his remaining hidden and he would have needed an aggressive tech person for that mission.

18. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

Wayne was in the first group sent to do the FEBC on the ship, and was posted as ED upon his return.
    He was dedicated, but not heavy-handed, and he definitely had a wandering eye...

19. DanLocke

DanLocke Patron with Honors

The whole thing was done purposefully to get Cedars livable, and the orgs somewhat presentable with a coat of paint and graphics that Ron apparently insisted on. When the orgs were in good enough shape to study in, and the rooms were cleared out sufficiently to squeeze in bunkbeds that were 4 and 5 beds high, that's when it was discovered to be out-tech. If it took another month to accomplish it, then that would have been when the out tech would have been discovered.

I remember thinking so at the time and thinking I must have overts for thinking critical thoughts! Oh well, that's how we SPs roll!

I never saw Wayne after that. I think he got sent to Flag and blew. His sister, Diane was around for a few years longer. I've looked for them both a lot since the internet and I have met a lot of Marples, but none of them knew Wayne or Diane.

I very much like Shiela's story telling capabilities.

20. TheOriginalBigBlue

Oh yes, those metal military surplus bunks. They had them at Flag also. Wonder if they are still using the same ones from the 70s? Should be called the "Sardine Org".

It wasn't hard to get the notion that the RPF was deliberately expanded to increase the renos labor force. If we didn't say it we were thinking it - "what a coincidence". But I never heard or saw anything official to that effect. My assumption is that LRH himself originated the whole cheap labor concept to refurbish the ships and so he himself initiated the r/s witch hunt knowing it would result in this. Nobody under him would need an actual order to the effect, "Search all of PAC staff for r/sers so we can build up the RPF to do renos". It could be tacit, like Henry II uttering a complaint about Thomas Becket.

Weren't these List 1 r/ses they were hunting for? Isn't List 1 primarily about r/ses regarding LRH, Mary Sue, and Scientology? So not just garden variety r/ses, but a full blown purge?