What's new

Part of my RPF Experience

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors
And the RPF: Rats alley. Yep, that is the way I remember it too. I think they did find a way to get rid of those roaches eventually. Being down there was nasty.

I was on the PAC RPF from Nov 2000 until March 2003.

I was on the RPF teams that got rid of the drainage metal flat thing, where all the roaches hid all the time.

I had to clean rats alley a number of times, I think monthly we did the same thing Paul talked about. Spray and squeegee all the water and dead roaches down the drains.

The crawl space, it's a crawl space, with the hot pipes, etc, all the same.

When we took the metal drainage thing out, the roach problem vanished, since the roaches (palmeto bugs and roaches both, there were two sizes of roaches, the big ones and the normal smaller ones, millions, literally) hid between the bottm of the metal flat thing and the ceiling and the floor above.

I worked for weeks there, a lot of RPF units worked there, doing their time doing the final clean up. The walls of the crawl space were sprayed or painted, after all the cleanup was done.

And today, that crawl space is all dry. No leaks, no puddles. We, our RPF unit, did a couple more token cleanups, but it stayed dry and that space became actually just a warm dry space, like the normal crawl space should be.

So no more fun crawing around walls literally covered with millions of roaches.

I loved it actually, I just thought it was completely ridiculous, like being in a cave with the walls and ceiling just covered, not a spare square inch, with bugs.

Ever since I got over killing (smashing) roaches with my bare hands (this was on the 2nd floor of the complex, above the galley, in 1984-85 when I worked in Senior HCO Int), I've looked on roaches sympathetically. I'd like to let them live, since all they want is a place to survive.

Anyways, rat's alley is a dull dry space today. The metal catch basin that all the roaches hid in, it was taken out, and the roaches had no where to go to hide after that. No more rats under the galley, no more roaches.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Chuck wrote:
...I loved it actually, I just thought it was completely ridiculous, like being in a cave with the walls and ceiling just covered, not a spare square inch, with bugs...

Oh my GOD!

Dude. Takin' one for the team!

No wonder they have an RPF. Do you realize what that would have cost to have that done professionally? (And by that I mean paying someone to do that?)

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Do you realize what that would have cost to have that done professionally? (And by that I mean paying someone to do that?)

Not to mention that as soon as anyone from outside had seen it, the galley would have been closed down by the Board of Health.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
Mick, You're integrity and responsibility come shining through. I hope you always post it like you see it. I'm sure the guys I saw on the Flag RPF are out by now, and I sure hope they got a lot of auditing, and are happy in their Sea Org careers. I don't want anyone to be miserable.
I hope Mike Kerhli turns up. He almost had me hired to supervise the renos on the Osceola, until I asked him if it would be a problem if I was ex-SO( from the first time I was in) and you should have seen his face fall. Mike Henderson

Yes, Ex-SO were not wanted on PAC base when I was there. Whenever they did photo shoots and needed people to fill the picture they would tell all the ex-SO people to get out of the picture. These were ex-SO who were on course at ASHO. However, I did manage to get my picture in the ASHO magazine.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
When you all report such things, it would be most helpful if you all were to specify the time frame more precisely so that those people who were in the same area can relate the events they experienced to those behind-the-scenes things they did not know.

Please ?

The Sneakster

PAC personnel dekludge... that would have been early 90's, eh? Lulu?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
PAC personnel dekludge... that would have been early 90's, eh? Lulu?

Sorry it took so long for me to answer. It's been a busy week and I haven't been on the board much.

The early 90s was James Byrne's infamous "project" into PAC. Some of you who lived through it might want to post more details.

Jenny deVocht came into PAC on mission in 1996.

Kind of a long story. I don't have time to tell it all now but I hope to later.