What's new

People found Scn interesting. Why?

Veda

Sponsor
How did people such as Van Morrison and Leonard Cohen - for a time - find Scn interesting?, and receive its auditing with results that pleased them?

Where they just deluded?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
No. Scientology is interesting. :)

Ex Scientologist Message Board Statistics
Threads 36,522
Posts 1,043,276
Members 9,067

Last edited:

Anonycat

Crusader
How did people such as Van Morrison and Leonard Cohen - for a time - find Scn interesting?, and receive its auditing with results that pleased them?

Where they just deluded?

It's an experience only the celebrities will know. I was talking to a record producer friend about Chanology briefly, and he said that he had been invited to CC, in a way that none of us mortals are. When he went inside, there was Isaac Hayes, treating him like a long lost brother. He got a lovely little personal tour (no videos or any of that crap) and left, never to return. He has also produced for Van, (just a coincidence) who really wasn't interested either. You know how stories evolve within scientology.

In Morrison's 1983 album Inarticulate Speech of the Heart, he gave Hubbard special thanks in the liner notes. According to Steve Turner, who wrote the biography Van Morrison: Too Late to Stop Now, an auditor said Morrison only had a basic involvement with Scientology. But the "Brown Eyed Girl" songwriter denied allegations of his religious affiliations – from Scientology to the Jehovah’s Witnesses – by saying, "There have been many lies put out about me and this finally states my position. I have never joined any organization, nor plan to."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...ft-scientology-20130806/van-morrison-19691231

Last edited:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
How did people such as Van Morrison and Leonard Cohen - for a time - find Scn interesting?, and receive its auditing with results that pleased them? Where they just deluded?

Why does anyone find organized religion, in general, interesting given the volumes of documentation showing these churches/sects to be guilt & shame-based with an emphasis on blind obedience.

Scientology is interesting and many still take it's courses.. many, eventually, sour to being caught up in it & leave, but at least are happy they checked it out for themselves.

Where they just deluded?

It was presented to them by people who appeared reasonably intelligent, and trustworthy.

It may have been seen as something that quite a few other reasonably intelligent, trustworthy people were into, and that it was cool, and therefore a bit uncool to let it pass them by.

It claimed to have methods to overcome unwanted mental barriers that thwarted their desire to be smart, lucid, happy, fulfilled, creative, most of the time or all of the time, instead of just sometimes.

Someone "found their ruin", as scientologists do with all their marks. This may be an even even more powerful process on famous people, because I assume the more fame a person has, the less likely they would be to have people holding the mirror up to them in a very up close and personal way? It might be a bit of a relief for someone to see the warts that nobody else sees anymore.

Once the ruin is found, the person can enjoy the schmoozing and the enjoyment of being able to just sign a cheque for a high priced item of brainwashing. Painful aspects of life turn to pleasure.

Why do they stay in or get out?

Critical thinking experience before they got in, kicks in at some point and they wake up. However, even prior critical thinking experience can be shut off for a long time. There might be different types of critical thinking skills. Like critical thinking and meta-critical thinking. Exing sceientology, and developing critical thinking skills may develop some meta-critical thinking skills. Interest in questioning might have something to do with it. There might be a "questioning" gene in the DNA, which determines the time one can or can't be put to sleep.

On critical thinking. It can be self taught, but education helps it along of course - so: How many people have had formal critical thinking education, in the CoS? How many have an undergraduate degree? How many a post grad degree?

Anonycat

Crusader
The celeb experience has no ruin, no book sales, none of the methods used on us regular folks. It's about having a good match to meet you when you walk in, and hugs. And some "I really like what's going on here, so I wanted to meet you here, and tell you myself ... you should come back and check it out! I'm here quite a bit! Want to meet up when you come back?"

I ask that same question, particularly after I have read an asinine post. This is a really swell post, not remotely asinine.
:bigcry:
The Skeptics & Smerfs.jpg

Skeptics or Smerfs, pictured above, may cry for documentation, when confronted with actual religion. The Scientology Phoney Religion Cult just sells them a Piece of Blue Sky or a Bridge to No Where.:duh::ohmy::p

There's a possible explanation for why some like organized religion & some follow the Cult of Scamertology.

The celeb experience has no ruin, no book sales, none of the methods used on us regular folks. It's about having a good match to meet you when you walk in, and hugs. And some "I really like what's going on here, so I wanted to meet you here, and tell you myself ... you should come back and check it out! I'm here quite a bit! Want to meet up when you come back?"

"In" group, stuff?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I ask that same question, particularly after I have read an asinine post. This is a really swell post, not remotely asinine.
:bigcry:
View attachment 10801

Skeptics or Smerfs, pictured above, may cry for documentation, when confronted with actual religion. The Scientology Phoney Religion Cult just sells them a Piece of Blue Sky or a Bridge to No Where.:duh::ohmy::p

There's a possible explanation for why some like organized religion & some follow the Cult of Scamertology.

Off topic much? Are you on some kind of Crusade? Give it a rest, FFS!

Veda

Sponsor
Why does anyone find organized religion, in general, interesting given the volumes of documentation showing these churches/sects to be guilt & shame-based with an emphasis on blind obedience.

Scientology is interesting and many still take it's courses.. many, eventually, sour to being caught up in it & leave, but at least are happy they checked it out for themselves.

Organized religion?

When Leonard Cohen and Van Morrison became involved with Scientology - as pampered celebrities receiving services - it was likely presented to them as self betterment and applied wisdom.

That's likely how they experienced it.

In fact, that's how most of us thought of it.

Let's not argue about Scientology's fraudulent religious cloaking. That would be derail. :)

Better to listen to Leonard and Van:

[video=youtube;mEQldSi-heE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEQldSi-heE[/video]

[video=youtube;sv49jlyX-co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv49jlyX-co[/video]​

Maybe now, but back in the late 60's it wasn't presented that way. It was sort of a cool thing to do to become spiritually aware. If you look at Cohen and the incredible string band for instance, there is a lot of spirituality in their poetry and songs. I think NYO was delivering power to them, ( the rest (non-staff) would have to go to Saint Hill) and most likely it was quickie power ( to f/n, not the actual EP per the original HCOBs ) which would be a big reason why Leonard decamped after getting it. Mine was quickied and it was a let down.

Mimsey

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Organized religion?

When Leonard Cohen and Van Morrison became involved with Scientology - as pampered celebrities receiving services - it was likely presented to them as self betterment and applied wisdom. That's likely how they experienced it. In fact, that's how most of us thought of it.

You may disagree that Scientology is a "religion", though some do. I mentioned "organized religion" because like Mormonism, Jehovahs Witness, and many evangelical churches, free will & independent thought is suspended in favor of a dictated structure of beliefs & behavior expected in the cult.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think artistic types in general were more open to such things in the late 1960s, before the cults developed such a sinister reputation (a well earned one). These groups made fanatics promises of enlightenment and super powers and these celebs had time and money - why not check out for themselves, what could it hurt? I believe their thinking was, if it doesn't work, you've lost very little, if does work you've gained something invaluable.

I don't know if they got results from auditing or not, but I'm positive they got a lot of ego stroking and that's a sure way to keep celebrities (and almost any other kind of people) around for at least a good while. However, I think in Hubbard's day the ego stroking could only go on so long before they were ready to go very hardcore on the celebrities, they lost enough of them that by the 1980's they realized the ego stroking and love bombing must be maintained indefinitely and even heightened if the celebrities career takes off to higher levels.

Hypatia

Pagan

Where they just deluded?

In the beginning of Going Clear, several interviewees gave some revealing thoughts about this.

Organized religion?

When Leonard Cohen and Van Morrison became involved with Scientology - as pampered celebrities receiving services - it was likely presented to them as self betterment and applied wisdom.

That's likely how they experienced it.

In fact, that's how most of us thought of it.

Let's not argue about Scientology's fraudulent religious cloaking. That would be derail. :)

(Vids snipped).

For initial contact and interest, yes, but they have to have a "bank full of engrams to be run out" to start handing over large amounts of cash. If they didn't have a ruin when they first went in, there is a whole grade chart full of them, waiting.
If "first dynamic ruins" don't worry them much (although being celeb doesn't guarantee that: e.g. Lenoard Cohen and depression) there is the horrible fucked up rest of "the planet" to think about.

Anonycat

Crusader
Without going into vivid detail, no. They are not presented with bank, engrams, clearing the planet, or any of that shit. It's very light and upbeat. It's a whole other game with celebs.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious

My understanding is that Van Morrison had all his auditing when he was in London with an auditor who would go to him. May have this wrong or may be an urban myth as I never knew who his auditor was and Saint Hill/London Org is a fairly small circle.

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors

Where they just deluded?

who knows, yah gots to ask them not us.

I don't think they were pleased since they left and didn't continue. LOL

Obviously they were not deluded, that's why they didn't continue.

Anybody want to buy a Stairway To Heaven.

Ride Captain Ride, Arnie will appreciate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8lf7RLYIww

Last edited: