Persistence, Coco and Mikaela Schiffrin

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by Mimsey Borogrove, Dec 15, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

My brother emailed me to encourage me to go see the new star wars movie, though the next two on my list are Three bill boards and I,Tonya. Follows is my response:

I dunno - those kind of films bore me the older I get. I took my grandson to see Coco - which we both enjoyed. They had a sappy Disney mini feature about olaf the snowman trying to find a christmas tradition - it got so much negative reaction it has been pulled. Both had stunning animation, I was surprised to see the princesses breathing (chests rising and falling) in a cartoon - I just wish the story wasn't so banal.

Coco, was 180 degrees apart - it was engaging, fun to watch, and to some extent a primer on modern story telling - almost reaching a goal, then hopes dashed only to resurge, and have your hopes dashed yet again, over and over. I guess the moral is to persist and you can achieve your dreams.

Hum. Would you believe, that is pretty much the same theme in two articles I read about Mikaela Shiffrin and her stunning training routines. She is really focussed on training - her mom is one of her coaches and they watch tons of skiing videos to tease out how best to ski race, and their goal is perfection. She gets that perfection by lots of practice and putting in the hours.

She may end up out skiing Lindsey Vonn who is on track to win the most ski medals of anyone. Lindsey has the dubious distinction of having the most injuries of any pro racing skier. Yikes. And Lindsey is another example of persistence's rewards.

Mimsey

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017