What's new

Researching Scientology Mythology

Mark Cab

Hello everyone!

I have browsed this message board many times in the last few years and decided it’s time to finally take he plunge and join.

I’ve been researching Scientology since I purchased Dianetics in 2009. Since then, I have gone through nearly all the basic books and lectures, many of the SHSBC lectures and upper level materials (Clearing Course, R6EW, OT materials).

My fascination centers around Hubbard’s mythological and Sci-Fi theories, how they have evolved over the course of his “research” and their context within the religion.

I think my knowledge can assist others but I am more excited to learn more from all of you!

I’m excited to talk with all of you.

-Mark

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
It sounds like a long dark hole. I really can't think of any value to such a study. But ...
:welcome2:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hello everyone!

I have browsed this message board many times in the last few years and decided it’s time to finally take he plunge and join.

I’ve been researching Scientology since I purchased Dianetics in 2009. Since then, I have gone through nearly all the basic books and lectures, many of the SHSBC lectures and upper level materials (Clearing Course, R6EW, OT materials).

My fascination centers around Hubbard’s mythological and Sci-Fi theories, how they have evolved over the course of his “research” and their context within the religion scam.

I think my knowledge can assist others but I am more excited to learn more from all of you!

-Mark
Fixed.

And Welcome!

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome Mark.

You'll probably not find many left here that have any interest in discussing Hubbard's sci-fi cosmology other than to ridicule it. Feel free to start a discussion and see what develops.

Veda

Sponsor
Hello everyone!

My fascination centers around Hubbard’s mythological and Sci-Fi theories, how they have evolved over the course of his “research” and their context within the religion.

-Mark

Scientology had its period of greatest expansion during the psychedelic era.

Here's a hodgepodge of material and links, quickly cut and pasted together, that may be helpful.

Scientology's fraudulent religious cloaking:

David_Mayo.jpg

David Mayo

Excerpt from the 1991 David Mayo article on Clear. http://www.ivymag.org/iv-01-02.html (David Mayo is an Ex Scientologist, Class XII and former Senior C/S International, who knew Hubbard on the ship and, for a time, around 1978, lived at Hubbard's residence and worked with Hubbard):

"It was PR and marketing considerations that led Hubbard to decide that certain people were 'clear' at a certain point..."

And from author Russell Miller's interview of David Mayo from August 1986.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/miller/interviews/mayo.htm

"What worried me was that I saw some things he did and statements he made that showed his intentions were different from what they appeared to be... He told me he was obsessed with an insatiable lust for power and money. He said it very emphatically. He thought it wasn't possible to get enough. He didn't say it as if it was a fault, just his frustration that he couldn't get enough."
________​

IMO, Scientology is a secretive and manipulative doctrine with a (sometimes) truth (common sense) coating. The truth-coating is displayed while the negatives are often hidden or disguised; or, when they no longer can be denied, are rationalized or "spun."

The Scientology package, as designed by its founder, is both positive and negative. Scientology is a carefully crafted mix of "Black Scientology" and "White Scientology," resulting in Scientology.
___________​

Auditing is an English language word.

Amongst synonyms listed by Merriam-Webster are: "Examination, going-over, review, scan, scrutiny, view."

The Latin root word means, "a hearing," or "to hear."

Scientology has adopted the word, "auditing."

Those introduced to auditing by Scientologists, both inside and outside the CofS, are often told the above definitions are descriptive of Scientology auditing.

IMO, it's important to discern between the "bait" portion of auditing where one is primarily asked what he sees, and the "switch" portion of "auditing" where one is primarily told what he sees.

"This is a cold blooded and factual account of your last sixty trillion years," from 1952's book, 'History of Man', found Hubbard telling others the contents of their minds, but it was premature "mind grope," just as the early 1950s e-meter reactions projected on the wall with shadows, while the audience went "ooh!" and "ahh!", was premature "Your e-meter will tell you"-ism, and the 1951 "no rights of any kind" was premature SP Doctrine, and the 1951 "dispose of quietly and without sorrow" was premature Fair Game Law and premature disconnection - disconnection in its most extreme form.

It was too early for the implementation of these ideas on the still small, fragile and tentative membership. That would need to wait for a decade, as would Hubbard's implementation of most of the ideas outlined in the "enigmatic" (fraudulent) "Russian Textbook on Psycho-politics."

1955-brainwashing-front2.jpg

In the mean time, Hubbard surrounded himself with those excited about his much advertised vision of a better world, and excited about the full releasing of spiritual ability.

Hubbard liked to write and he liked to lecture, and he had a knack as a practical psychologist. He drew on the ideas and innovations of the most creative of those around him, and drew on his own knowledge of abreaction (catharsis, "get it [buried thoughts and emotions] off your chest") therapy.

Movie scene illustrating a cult leader taking control of an other's mind by manipulative and exploitative use of catharsis.
_________________​

Utilized also was Korzybski's General Semantics with its "earlier similars," etc,

Alfred_Korzybski.jpg

and Aleister Crowley's Magic(k).

crowley+portrait.png

See Hubbard's "loose lipped" Philadelphia Doctorate Course of 1952, specifically lecture 18 (and other lectures), for his references to Crowley.

Hubbard re-worked the (four 'letters' - ingredients - of the) Kabbalistic 'tetragrammaton', and it became his 'Four Conditions of Existence'. Hubbard rewrote Crowley's 'Naples Arrangement' and it became his 'The Factors'. He borrowed Crowley's idea of a multiplicity of infinite minds and further excited Scientologists with that notion. None of these were original with Crowley, who was as much a relay point as was Hubbard. Yet, unlike Crowley, Hubbard would eventually incorporate the methods of psychological warfare into his system, and used those methods, not only on his perceived enemies, but on his own followers.

And when he finally - in the mid 1960s - unleashed, mostly covertly, the psychological warfare methods of the "Russian Textbook" on Scientologists, he also returned to fully utilizing those ideas he had briefly tested more than a decade earlier. He gave them a past, he gave them a future, he told them the contents of their own minds, and made it plain that only HE knew, and others were going to be told.

Scientologist were overjoyed as they knew that "Total Freedom" and "Total Power" awaited them.
emetertravolta.jpg

Hubbard had written confidentially of the importance of "using enemy tactics," and would even use those "enemy tactics" on his own loyal followers. He had written of psychiatrists in August 1963:

"Psychiatry is authoritarian and tells the person what's wrong with him, often introducing a new lie. Scientology finds out what's wrong with the person from the person."​

Soon to follow would be the secret and very serious, and very dangerous, and vital to your survival "Clearing Course," "OT 2" and "OT 3," in which Hubbard would do what he said the psychiatrists did.

(The science fiction aspect of these materials has drawn the most attention but, perhaps, more important was the switch from (seemingly) harmless pop psycho-therapy to covert hypnosis.)

Hubbard had done this in 1952, but now it was formalized and institutionalized, and a senior part of the doctrine of Scientology doctrine.
__________​

Concise look at the multi-layered Chinese finger puzzle of Scientology" Ex Scientologist - The Scientological Onion with a link to what has been called the "blueprint for Scientology."

Hope this helps.

Music by the Incredible String Band before they became Scientologists. They have since become ex Scientologists.