What's new

Scientologists and Drinking

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
First of all in my humble opinion it is not a sin or overt to have a few beers. When I was on staff in the SO I would have two or three beers on Saturday night when I had some time off. Earlier in my Scientology career in Detroit, there were about twelve of us who used to go to the Grog Shop and go dancing on Friday nights. Everyone would have a couple of mixed drinks or beer. These days I will have a couple of beers or gasses of wine on Sunday at family dinner and it's just not an overt.

I have met a few Christians who don't ever drink and consider it bad but I have met some other Christians who do have an occasional drink or two socially and don't feel that it is wrong.

If someone was drinking to excess and having black outs and couldn't go a day without having some alcohol that would be a situation. I have run into a few Scientologists like that and they got help through AA and quit. I have also been in a situation where I was at a retreat and one of the people was a recovering alcoholic and I felt it would not be okay to drink when this fellow was there. But knocking back a few brewskys at a party or on the week end is definitely okay in my play book. Let's all drink to that.

Arthur Dent

I went from rampaging Rock Musician to Teetotal for 19 years once I started auditing on Upper Levels. I never took drugs even to the extent of having dental work done sans anesthetic, my Dentist thought I was crazy! I was completely dry for 19 years until I decided to relearn how to drink alcohol. I mentioned it once and Face offered to give me lessons! :)

I hope you're up to speed now! :cheers2:

Great question since I manage a liquor store. :cheers:

Drinking and partying in orgs were far more commonplace prior to DM taking over in the 80s. I noticed towards the end of the 70s there was a shift on the amount of drinking/partying at least in my org. The last big party New Years resulted HCO assigning lowers like left and right like they were handing out candy. From the mid 80s on I noticed a far more puritanical approach by the orgs on drinking. However very interesting when the SO have their SO Day the reports I would get is SO members getting plastered which I can totally understand.

Regarding this woman I have come to the conclusion long ago that going up the bridge did not equate to being ethical or making logical decisions. What going up the bridge does do to one is makes you blind. This woman despite being connected to Scientology is contemplating getting a divorce yet the Scientology promotes family unit. This has her going out of town despite what is suppose to be the biggest event ever. She is getting drunk and talking to a complete stranger about very personal issues. She also has no clue as to why the outside world hates Scientology yet she promotes Narconnon while at a bar. She is practically blind yet she will tell you how well she sees life. For those who haven't figure out there is something very wrong with Scientology this is the typical mindset. They need the internet, they need....:help2:

Yes, the earlier days saw much more partying, prior to the 80s. There were a lot of parties on the weekends and a lot of drinking. And a lot of fun, overall. And now, frankly, I like to wine. :cheers2:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
First of all in my humble opinion it is not a sin or overt to have a few beers. When I was on staff in the SO I would have two or three beers on Saturday night when I had some time off. Earlier in my Scientology career in Detroit, there were about twelve of us who used to go to the Grog Shop and go dancing on Friday nights. Everyone would have a couple of mixed drinks or beer. These days I will have a couple of beers or gasses of wine on Sunday at family dinner and it's just not an overt.

I have met a few Christians who don't ever drink and consider it bad but I have met some other Christians who do have an occasional drink or two socially and don't feel that it is wrong.

If someone was drinking to excess and having black outs and couldn't go a day without having some alcohol that would be a situation. I have run into a few Scientologists like that and they got help through AA and quit. I have also been in a situation where I was at a retreat and one of the people was a recovering alcoholic and I felt it would not be okay to drink when this fellow was there. But knocking back a few brewskys at a party or on the week end is definitely okay in my play book. Let's all drink to that.

I find this interesting, because I know of Scios who got in trouble for going to AA because it was "other practicey"... no joke. Right now, I'm enjoying an Ayinger Celebrator Bavarian dopplebock... (it's the beer with the little plastic white charm). First enjoyed it while watching the World Cup in a bar with the guy I should have married, but was too fucked up by the cult to be sane enough to see it. Ducked out of the rain for some grapefruit juice at a natural grocery store and decided to check out their beers... and saw it and had to grab. This beer brings back awesome memories, and it's freaking delicious. And, the one bottle is all I'll be imbibing, and I'm just hella enjoying it! When on staff, there were times that I seriously wanted to drink enough so that I could finally pass out and sleep---yet, I didn't want to sleep, because waking up meant it would be time to go back on post.

The biggest secret, to newbie Scios, is that Scientologists are FUCKED UP!!! I still remember flying ruds of folks that had been around for years and were respected, and going WTF? THIS is bothering you? And you are doing WHAT? And, well, you are being an IDIOT!!! Part of the reason I got pulled into the cult was meeting all these people who seemed to be doing so well, and had great jobs and their PR was in... and when I started auditing them? omg, and wtf.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I probably drank more as a scientologist than I did before. I was staff why would I need to be sessionable. Study, not too often, stats always came first. We got through loads of beer at Christmas and SO day, and sometimes I would knock a few back at other times too. I probably would have drank a lot more if we actually were paid every now and then. It would probably do the average SO member the world of good to have a drink or two, let their hair down gain some Dutch courage and tell the prison guards to sod off and just walk out. Booze has a wonderful tendency to loosen the tongue, probably why it seems to be so frowned upon these days.

Well - as I got INTO scientology thanks to an all day session in the Yellow carvel there was never going to be enough time or chances to match that in the SO - but at St Hill FOLO UK we used to hit the local pub on Saturday evenings and then later on someone was making home made beer - which, while it tasted not the greatest had the advantage of being free and strong.

I organized the booze at two of the greatest ever Christmas parties at FOLO EU - the one in 1978 was so loud the cops arrived - and Guillaume handed them a beer each - which they happily accepted - goota love the danish Old Bill. Every weekend we were out either dancing at the Sheraton or having a beer somewhere.

In 1984 Bertie and I brought in the New year in a "$20 all you can drink" German bar in Clearwater dressed in full SO Uniforms and drunk as skunks singing Lili Marlene on the stage.

Dave Bloomberg and I went to Barney's beanery one night in 1984 and got absolutely shitfaced..

as you can tell - I enjoy an evening's evening. Did before I got in, did during it and do now. :)

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
wow... the more I read, the more interesting this becomes. Seriously, we were lectured as TTC members that basically showing up in public arena wearing anything that was less than tasteful, or imbibing an alcoholic beverage was pretty much criminal, as we were always supposed to 'uphold the image' of a Scientology auditor or supervisor, even if they had no idea who we were in case someone might see us... or see us in the future. Seriously, we were supposed to be "on post" even when we were "off post" (except, in our org--I rarely can remember much free time at all where this was possible).

OH WAIT! Except-- lmao... my 2D did take me out of town on my birthday, and he was freaking out because I ordered a beer during lunch and he was worried about the ethics of it...

Last edited:

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious
Drinking story time. :yes:

When I joined staff I was in the TTC. I was living with the Dir I&R, Qual Sec and D of P after we went home we would play cards and have a few beers. I being a very green Scientologist didn't think what we were doing was wrong and I was having a great time being on course. Afterall I did this in college so whats the difference? Apparently I missed the part on Student Guide To Acceptable Behavior about drinking and of course living with my roomies it never crossed my mind that I was being out-ethics. Well, I was on course talking to another student before roll-call and telling him about our nightly card playing and having a few. The Sup over heard and said I couldn't drink. We discuss this and please don't ask me how I negotiated this because I have no clue but the agreement was I would cut down my drinking. Well later on course that same day I became very bogged and the word I was looking up was none other than "delirium tremens". I was practically unconscious and going down for that last time when the sup came over and ask me what happening? I showed her in probably very blurred words the word I was looking up. She let me have it right then and there. All I heard was blah blah blah blah kinda of how my dog hears me when I'm mad at her and then "THATS WHY I DON'T WANT YOU DRINKING!!!" I came back from the dead and was wide awake. Those were the days back then. :)

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious
I hope you're up to speed now! :cheers2:

Yes, the earlier days saw much more partying, prior to the 80s. There were a lot of parties on the weekends and a lot of drinking. And a lot of fun, overall. And now, frankly, I like to wine. :cheers2:

We were motivated to get the stats up so we can start partying. :party:

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
wow... the more I read, the more interesting this becomes. Seriously, we were lectured as TTC members that basically showing up in public arena wearing anything that was less than tasteful, or imbibing an alcoholic beverage was pretty much criminal, as we were always supposed to 'uphold the image' of a Scientology auditor or supervisor, even if they had no idea who we were in case someone might see us... or see us in the future. Seriously, we were supposed to be "on post" even when we were "off post" (except, in our org--I rarely can remember much free time at all where this was possible).

OH WAIT! Except-- lmao... my 2D did take me out of town on my birthday, and he was freaking out because I ordered a beer during lunch and worried about the ethics of it...
The posts on this thread are quite an eye-opener for me as well!

When I was in the Sea Org, I do not remember going out for a few beers, or whatever. Most of us could barely afford supporting our own cigarette smoking habits, much less buying overpriced, watered-down drinks in a bar. BUT, my wedding on the Freewinds, we did pitch in and buy half a dozen screw-top bottles of cheap wine. On the Freewinds we had a Boatswain's Party, or was it Sea Org day party? Don't remember, but there were a few SO members that got REALLY drunk. Otherwise, I did not notice SO or staff drinking. I was not a drinker myself, so maybe I was clueless or in denial.

As a public, I did not drink, except on holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's Eve. There was never any booze in my house. I was always going in session or doing a course... so stayed sessionable or studentable. I was a good brainwashed minion. :innocent:

One time I went to a party in Hollywood that had a bunch of artistic bohemian types, Scientologists and non. I recall most everyone at the party was drinking. Some were smoking doobies too, (not Scientologist I think), and one party goer I guess smoked some stuff laced with PCP and was tripping out on the front lawn.... I guess a typical Hollywood party.

When I left Scientology, and got divorced, I pendulum swung the other way. I had at least two glasses of wine a day, and was very fond of tequila. I joined a rock band, and we had groupies at rehearsals, real pot-heads always passing around a joint or bong. One rehearsal they convinced me to take a hit. It had be YEARS since I did. I remember thinking at that very moment "if I want to continue up the bridge there is going to be a BIG price to pay for this". After that I became quite a lush and pot-head (and enjoyed every moment of it). LOL.
.:bong::booze:

BardoThodol

One of the five times I got drunk in my life was at a Scientology party when I first got in around fall of 1970. I remember kind of sliding down the wall thinking, "Boy, these people are wild." And I was in the service at the time.

BardoThodol

The posts on this thread are quite an eye-opener for me as well!

When I was in the Sea Org, I do not remember going out for a few beers, or whatever. Most of us could barely afford supporting our own cigarette smoking habits, much less buying overpriced, watered-down drinks in a bar. BUT, my wedding on the Freewinds, we did pitch in and buy half a dozen screw-top bottles of cheap wine. On the Freewinds we had a Boatswain's Party, or was it Sea Org day party? Don't remember, but there were a few SO members that got REALLY drunk. Otherwise, I did not notice SO or staff drinking. I was not a drinker myself, so maybe I was clueless or in denial.

As a public, I did not drink, except on holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's Eve. There was never any booze in my house. I was always going in session or doing a course... so stayed sessionable or studentable. I was a good brainwashed minion. :innocent:

One time I went to a party in Hollywood that had a bunch of artistic bohemian types, Scientologists and non. I recall most everyone at the party was drinking. Some were smoking doobies too, (not Scientologist I think), and one party goer I guess smoked some stuff laced with PCP and was tripping out on the front lawn.... I guess a typical Hollywood party.

When I left Scientology, and got divorced, I pendulum swung the other way. I had at least two glasses of wine a day, and was very fond of tequila. I joined a rock band, and we had groupies at rehearsals, real pot-heads always passing around a joint or bong. One rehearsal they convinced me to take a hit. It had be YEARS since I did. I remember thinking at that very moment "if I want to continue up the bridge there is going to be a BIG price to pay for this". After that I became quite a lush and pot-head (and enjoyed every moment of it). LOL.
.:bong::booze:

Just reminds us once again how much fun it is to be outside of Scientology.

Party on!

Fuck OSA!

And the Dwarf Meister! (who, in drinking as in everything else, practices "do as I say, not what I do." The little lush.

wigee1

Patron with Honors
No one gave a flying fuck about the estates orgs, that's why they were safe from scrutiny. There were certain orgs and posts that no one seemed to notice. Bit like Lord and Lady Thingly-Whatsit-Doodah talking in front of the maid as if she wasn't there, and her running back to give all the gossip to the rest of the staff. If I was in the SO I would get a post in the Estates org, so easy to just walk out, most of them wear real clothes, easy to just disappear, if you are invisible.

ya hit it onthe nail, I was Estates Manager at LEE ST SYDNEY, Day 76 _ 79, PHYL STEVENS was boss, We shared the same office. well actually i had X2 One on the 7th floor Kinda meet and greet wogs , PR action .( I demanded it ), and a basement office , the control centre, dish out the jobs for people who got into those terrible lower conditions, How dare they!! But they boosted my stats, continously, One could glide in /out and no
one would notice, and it was Phyll who came to me , saying she just found out Estates although in DIV7, was its own org, held from above FLAG ESTATES (????) Its funny how little they new about me, '')and how about she keep a eye on me"" ,THis was fine with me, because we had a good relationship, ( she would back me up on , the out policy,I did with Treasury)I NEEDED A HEAVY HITTER this worked well .Remember SYD 76__79 was doing well.. There was always money to spend,from set asides .Archie Riddell SYD FDN handled the RPF.So my post was always created by someone and no one would dare question me , because per Phyll I could do no wrong (,Staff would tell me) But at the same time I watched Peter Mansell and Les Millar go Type 3 after Phyll handling them ,many times ,and after reading these stories on EXSMB, I,M starting to feel Guilty How I missed the nuty- ness (,Naw I didnt play their game ,)Years of training at high School, how to escape, have a alibi, to sneek of to go surfing 20miles away, great skill level. Granitt.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember Lee Street well:biggrin:

The parties on Saturday nights (up until we got the "83 Mission) were drunken binges for most of the staff who attended.

I tried not to drink a lot as I'd had a huge problem before joining the cult with exactly that - what do yuo expect? I was an Ozzie, earning a decent wage, under 25 and male - it's almost a genetic imperative!:coolwink:

But later it pendulum swung sooooo hard the other way - someone I know was given a hard time by the FSO MAA for having the occasional beer and play on the Poker Machines while on OT VII:omg:

I think they even got him to sign a promissary note he'd never do it again - Feral has the details.

But, right up until I left the cult, I would be continually amazed at the "OTs" who were getting shit-faced at parties and thinking nothing of it.

Then there were the Narconon staff who did exactly the same - THAT was a shock to me.:duh:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
OK--- just remembered another 'blast from the past'. There was a young guy on staff who was hauled into ethics because of his drinking. Anyhow, he said it was bullshit because LRH drank so much. He went and got some excerpts from tapes and recounted his 'last-life recall' of Ronzoid to support his cause and refused the lower condition. They had no clue what to do with him. He was a pretty fun guy.:wink2: