What's new

Scientologists saving 'nearly £2m' on London rate relief - Camden tight lipped

AnonKat

Crusader
COMMENTS NEEDED
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/329-...reaks-scientology-winrar-72560/7/#post1337571
Scientologists saving 'nearly £2m' on London rate relief - Camden tight lipped

Westminster, the City of London and Camden Council have been urged to scrap 80% rate relief on Church of Scientology buildings.

The Church of Scientology Religious Educational College Inc. is believed to have saved nearly £2m from commercial rate breaks in the capital - in 2008 the non-for profit organisation filed an income of almost £13m.

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said voters do not want to see preferential treatment of an organisation the Charities Commission refused to designate a church for tax reasons.

The Church of Scientology says local council authorities have "recognised the religious nature of Scientology".

Figures published in Private Eye revealed the full extent of how much the American based group benefits from rate relief.

The City of London saved the organisation £1.3m in rates on their London Org (centre) at Queen Victoria Street since 2006.

Westminster City Council has spared the group over £150,000 on its "London Celebrity Centre" in Leinster Gardens in more than a decade. The council classes the Church as a "non-registered charity" as it is "beneficial to the community,"

However, Camden Council have.... http://www.thelondondailynews.com/s...n-rate-relief-camden-tight-lipped-p-4609.html

Comment by Scientologist

Alison Hargreaves Date Added: Saturday 16 October, 2010

I know the Scientologists do a vast amount of emergency aid and relief work, much like the Red Cross. They were highly commended by the London police for their assistance after the 7 Sept bombings, worked all hours to provide food and drink & other aid for the emergency rescue teams. They have done similar major relief efforts freely given at Ground Zero after the World Trade Center disaster, worked for weeks around the clock there, at the Hurricane Catrina disaster, in Haiti and many teams of them went to assist in the Tsunami disasters. They also deliver a lot of drug rehabilitation advice, deliver correspondence courses to help criminals reform, and offer free assistance to people with study difficulties through their literacy campaigns. All of this is well documented and evidenced. I don't think this minister can be properly informed of all this.

TAX THE CULT

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
Allison Hargreaves stated;
I know the Scientologists do a vast amount of emergency aid and relief work, much like the Red Cross. They were highly commended by the London police for their assistance after the 7 Sept bombings, worked all hours to provide food and drink & other aid for the emergency rescue teams. They have done similar major relief efforts freely given at Ground Zero after the World Trade Center disaster, worked for weeks around the clock there, at the Hurricane Catrina disaster, in Haiti and many teams of them went to assist in the Tsunami disasters. They also deliver a lot of drug rehabilitation advice, deliver correspondence courses to help criminals reform, and offer free assistance to people with study difficulties through their literacy campaigns. All of this is well documented and evidenced. I don't think this minister can be properly informed of all this.

I couldn't agree with you more Allison, this minister is definetly not properly informed.